FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Converting videos

dz9c
I want the fastest processor for converting videos to ipod format so i can cut down the time needed. im thinking core 2 duo?
ForceRun
I agree... check out my intel vs FX74 post, and check out Tomshardware guide for the latest benchs.
PseudoKnight
Video conversion benefits extremely well from multiple cores. A quad core CPU will nearly cut your time in half from a dual core in most circumstances.

Also, keep in mind that the Q6600 will drop to $266 in late July (other quad core price drops coming too) so don't buy just yet unless you really need to.
internetjobs
increase RAM also, then only u get good response
corey
That seems to be the right way to go with a processor. There don't seem to be anything else out there that's as capable for video conversion.
internetjobs
if you edit video, surely it will take some time depends on your length of the video, so use latest processor and ram, dont forget to consider hdd. use scsi disk or the writing and reading time will because longer, it will decrease your speed, use stripped volume for fast accessing, and motherboard will be higher bus speed
Tom7
doesn't the video card come into the equation aswell?
ganesh
I don't think the video card has much to do with video editing. It is more to ensure that the display is fine (that is the decoding segment of the video).

Video editing requires you to do more encoding. Rarely do you actually go through the video card to decode and then pump the data back into the processor. I think usually the video card just pumps the data on the bus to the display card.
ammonkc
I don't think the GPU or video card touch the encoding process at all either. That would be really cool if a codec could take advantage of the GPU, because there is a lot of unused processing power there. a really good product for doing a lot of encoding for iPods is the Elgato Turbo.264. its a dedicated h.264 encoder on a USB 2.0 stick. I have a MacBook Pro core 2 duo and the turbo.264 encodes at about 2x the time I could do it on my MBP's cpu.
Jaan
Quad core does it faster obviously. However its still beneficial to get an the fastest duo core instead of a good quad core. it the speed is faster in the duo core its worth it than slower speed with quad core.
fadirocks
ammonkc wrote:
I don't think the GPU or video card touch the encoding process at all either. That would be really cool if a codec could take advantage of the GPU, because there is a lot of unused processing power there. a really good product for doing a lot of encoding for iPods is the Elgato Turbo.264. its a dedicated h.264 encoder on a USB 2.0 stick. I have a MacBook Pro core 2 duo and the turbo.264 encodes at about 2x the time I could do it on my MBP's cpu.

I know some video cards do play major game in playing, video formats like some cards now support DivX & x264 natively so I guess that's only for play and no encoding!?!! hmm not sure !! anybody googling this I'm kinda getting sleepy Razz
internetjobs
not only the processor speed... high capacity RAM u want.. then only u get full performance.. any way it will take some time depending upon the length of the video