FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Constructive Criticism required

richard270384
Hi,

I have made a web site and got it online with frihost.

Please take a look and let me know what you think.

http://www.nickferno.co.nr
or
http://nickferno.richard.frih.net

Just some background on it, Nick Ferno is a wrestler in the Australian Wrestling Federation. He is a fireman and that is why the website is themed with fire/flames.

Check my latest posts further down to see links to the latest version.

Cheers,
Richard
samay
Well the site is nice but I think you so make it a bit more attractive. Maybe changing the colour combination or something.

Also, if u make a site in flash it wont be search engine friendly.

Flash sites are not SEO friendly.

Thanks
richard270384
Thanks Samay.

I was thinking it was missing something attractiveness wise.

As for the search engine optimisation, I'm going to set up a series of html pages which will automatically redirect visitors to the flash page. The search engines will be able to search those pages.

What do you think?
reddishblue
The picture of that guy is so badly cut...
You might be able to find a WELL cut picture here : www.planetrenders.net
And you need to get a better backround too, if it wasn't for the flash, I would think this site is from the nineties, you need to try harder.
Reddish
richard270384
Gday,

I have decided that maybe just plain html is the way to go instead.

I'm not finished yet but if anyone wants to take a look and let me know if they prefer the flash or html, and have any suggestions please post here.

HTML: http://richard.frih.net/html/
Flash: http://richard.frih.net/

Cheers
GB
Where's the information? I didn't really find any solid content. The site is about a fireman who is a wrestler. Okay, but what specifically, what makes him interesting to you? It seems like this is a site in need of content. Also, the type is way too small. Another thing is that I noticed that text is all in small caps. I'm confused about the reasoning behind that.

Good luck with your site.
3shades
I like the flash version a lot, just a few too many flames though, maybe take the flames out the text boxes.

HTML is also good, but please please remove the tiny little flames looks like he has ginger back hair Shocked

and are you nick ferno out of interest? Question
richard270384
Thanks for that 3shades.

Nick Ferno is my brother.
richard270384
Gday GB,

There isn't a whole lot of information on there just yet. Im focusing on the design mostly at the moment.

Nick Ferno is my brother and he wants to be able to update the information himself. He doesn't really know anything about HTML or flash so all of the 'information' is stored in text files which he can update.

Once I've got a design that i'm happy with I'll show my brother how to update it and then there'll be more info. Most of the info on there now is just 'dummy' text.

As for the small caps, I just prefer that font, but thanks for the advice on making it bigger.

Cheers,
Richard
Digital Thoth
The flash designed site worked for me, but the unexpected sirens blaring caused my dog to go nuts. The HTML site didn't even work for me. I was very sad.

But, the flash design was mostly nice, except for the background for the words, etc. It's horrible, brick wall, with yellow and black letters? I don't know what brought that about, but it's not very eye friendly.

Maybe I just have bad eyes. I can't say anything about the HTML site, because again, it didn't work for me.

That said, alot of the Flash looks nice, alot better than I could come up with, so keep up the good work!
richard270384
Thanks Troth.

Not sure why the html did not work.

Are you able to tell me what browser you are using?

Cheers.
{name here}
The animated fire and flash animation ideas aren't the best. A more static design with higher quality flames would work better. In addition, if you want to use that brick wall, choose a better color so that users can read it. Even in the higher standard gamma monitor that I hate using I cannot see the text proplerly. The navigation menu is okay.
richard270384
Okay, THanks for all your feedback so far...

I have decided to go with html rather than flash and have taken into account most of the feeedback so far. THe latest version is here:

http://richard.frih.net/html2

I'm worried now that it looks too busy.

I'm testing it on a 1028x768 screen resolution. If you have a different resolution please let me know how it comes out. I think I may have made it a little busy looking. This one should be compatible with more browsers though.

Please let me know what you think?

Cheers,
Richard Exclamation Idea
Insanity
I like your layout and color scheme, but the picture at the top seems to have some black outline around it, perhaps it wasn't cut properly? Just a nitpicky thing, but otherwise looks pretty awesome.
benjad
Hrm... not a fan of the flash site. The colors + really boxed content are really not attractive.

I like the HTML site better.

- the red gradient background looks much better than the solid red.

See if you can make the nav buttons a little more stylish. Look odd top centered... can you style them a bit.

iframe for the content. Frames are generally out (in any form). use css/php to achieve the same effects. This will also remove the table based layout.

Your getting better. keep hacking away at it.
WRC Meister
"I'm testing it on a 1028x768 screen resolution."

not to bug you but its 1024x768, i will always remember that number:P
richard270384
WRC Meister wrote:
"I'm testing it on a 1028x768 screen resolution."

not to bug you but its 1024x768, i will always remember that number:P

Oops... Typing in a hurry haha
richard270384
benjad wrote:
Hrm... not a fan of the flash site. The colors + really boxed content are really not attractive.

I like the HTML site better.

- the red gradient background looks much better than the solid red.

See if you can make the nav buttons a little more stylish. Look odd top centered... can you style them a bit.

iframe for the content. Frames are generally out (in any form). use css/php to achieve the same effects. This will also remove the table based layout.

Your getting better. keep hacking away at it.

Gday Benjad.

Thanks for the tips. So if you don't think that the menu should be at the top centre where do you think it should be?

Do you think it would be better if the menu was incorporated into the image at the top of the page?

Any suggestions?

Cheers
f-spider
Not bad.

I respect you for having a go and making a flash site, I know they're much harder to do. The site alright overall but the cut out of the person on the bottom left is kind of off-putting. But I'm sure you'd be able to fix that Smile

I do prefer the HTML site, mainly because it's easier on the eyes, flows more and loads faster. I personally don't think it looks too busy, and I think the site looks gathered and organised which is a plus.

One more thing that kind of sticks out is that the text on the links isn't centred in the boxes properly; it kind of rests towards the top of the box. It may just be personal but I think it should be centred as much as possible.

Hope this helped and good luck!

Very Happy

f-spider
MonikaJayne
When I was looking through the changes you have made to the site, the html2 attracted me the most. But the bottom flames are a little much. You should maybe use your footer some other way. I would use centered white text and put the month or year created, created by who, and what browsers it shows well in, or the screen resolution. Just come ideas.
richard270384
Thanks f-spider and MonikaJayne.

f-spider - The hardest part i found with using flash was that it was very difficult to make it fit nicely into all browser windows and still make maximum use of space on the page. Everybody has different screen resolutions and different toolbars and the like - i've given up on the flash idea now.

As for the text being positioned more to the top of the box rather than the centre on the html version, i assume you are talking about the menu items? I think that may have been a cross browser issue (were you using netscape?). IE displayed the web page perfectly but netscape and FireFox had issues - I've since started from the bottom up and tested on IE6, NS9 and FF. I've now realised that NS9 and FF work more closely with the standards and IE likes to add their own spin on things (if you get what I mean). It should work on all of these browsers now (and hopefully earlier ones too).

MonikaJayne - Thanks for your help - I added text at the bottom as you suggested but I'm not sure about removing the flames at the bottom. Does anybody else agree?

Anyway, after some more feedback I've changed the interface again. Please let me know which html version you prefer: Cool

Old Version: http://richard.frih.net/html2
New Version: http://www.nickferno.co.nr OR http://nickferno.richard.frih.net

For those of you who commented on the cutout in the header image being a little ruff, I have fixed it i think so please let me know if it still appears dodgy - It looks much better on my laptop now.

Let me know which version you prefer or which bits of each version you prefer and I can combine them (hopefully).

I'll tell you what, websites were much easier to build before people had fast internet connections! The last time I built a site it was all about keeping files small.... Now its all about making them eye catching - it takes a little getting used to Very Happy

Cheers,
Richard
darrenpaul
The red background took alittle bit of time to load, but thats probably my fault not yours, other than that, its pretty darn good, the graphics, images and content are very nice. Well done!!
Ghost Rider103
Like some of the others said, it needs to be a little more attractive. The graphics on it are ok, but you could probally get some better stuff up there. Check out www.otgdesigns.net im sure OTG Designs could get you some very nice professional work up there. Great prices too!

The idea of it I like, but like I said, needs to be a little more attractive.
richard270384
Gday all,

Thanks everyone for all your feedback so far - I just keep evolving the site... but its good fun i guess.

So i've spent the past few weeks learning Paint Shop Pro and scrubbing up on CSS, and so... another new design.

I'm still learning Paint Shop Pro so the graphics probably could be better but im not reallly sure in what way...

As recommended by some one here, I have ditched the table based layout and iframe in exchange for DIV's.

I also removed the flame images simply because I couldn't figure out how to incorporate them into the new design. Any thoughts?

Please take a look and let me know what you think.

http://www.nickferno.co.nr

Cheers,
Richard
Dakafall
This site has a nice layout, easy to follow, easy to understand. The only thing is that the animation and the flash kinda draws the viewer out of what the site is meant for. Some people dont like flash because it is something that they need to download again, other likes it but they dont like alot of it.

This site has alot of potential I cant wait to see some updates on this site.
richard270384
Gday Dakafall,

The latest version isn't flash..

see http://www.nickferno.co.nr

Cheers,
Richard