FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Building a website from scratch

giovle
Hi there,

I'm not exactly new to html, but I am new to flash-apps and so forth. Next month I need to design a website for a musicband. Does anyone have any ideas to make it look cool and yet well-organised?

Any suggestions how I should start etcetera would definitely come in handy Very Happy
Animal
This thread will probably be helpful.
hk_36
Hi.

I've worked as a web-designer for quite some time now, and i've learned that simple and clean sites are the most attactive and the most demanded. One should always keep it simple, yet elegant, with a good choice of colours and user-friendly navigation. Throw in some well designed logo, naviation system, and a well restructured photo and u've got a great looking site. Avoid unnecessary content and stick to the basics. Good Luck.
giovle
hk_36 wrote:
Hi.

I've worked as a web-designer for quite some time now, and i've learned that simple and clean sites are the most attactive and the most demanded. One should always keep it simple, yet elegant, with a good choice of colours and user-friendly navigation. Throw in some well designed logo, naviation system, and a well restructured photo and u've got a great looking site. Avoid unnecessary content and stick to the basics. Good Luck.

Thx for the pointers. I was thinking of a simple basis layout: logo top-left, menubar left under the logo and the rest as the target window.

Since it's a site for a musicband I was just thinking of 4-5 menu's: a simple biography, a fotosection, a calendar (to note all important gigs), a guestbook/forum/blog (don't know yet which I'm going to use), contactinformation with our technical rider and that's it.
Any piece of advice on which language I'd better use for this? (preferably something that will work well on most computers). Does anyone have a good (flash)script to set up a fotogallery?

thx
{name here}
giovle wrote:
hk_36 wrote:
Hi.

Thx for the pointers. I was thinking of a simple basis layout: logo top-left, menubar left under the logo and the rest as the target window.

Put your copyright under your main content in a div that would match your menu div. It's sort of important.
Quote:

Since it's a site for a musicband I was just thinking of 4-5 menu's: a simple biography, a fotosection, a calendar (to note all important gigs), a guestbook/forum/blog (don't know yet which I'm going to use), contactinformation with our technical rider and that's it.
Any piece of advice on which language I'd better use for this? (preferably something that will work well on most computers). Does anyone have a good (flash)script to set up a fotogallery?

thx

Avoid the guestbook. It's pointless, and often prone to spamming by spambots. Setting up a forum and blog would be a good idea.

You should have your site in English first and foremost, as on the internet that is the most popular language for content. If you can, add a German translation as well. German is the #2 most popular language on the web.
littlegiant
I would say forums and blogs are very prone to spamming as well. If you set one of those up, look to install some anti-spam plugins otherwise you're going to spend all day deleting posts and comments about pharmaceuticals. For example, if you install Wordpress, make sure you install the Akismet plugin. If you install a forum, make sure you have it set so that users don't get their registrations approved automatically.
giovle
littlegiant wrote:
I would say forums and blogs are very prone to spamming as well. If you set one of those up, look to install some anti-spam plugins otherwise you're going to spend all day deleting posts and comments about pharmaceuticals. For example, if you install Wordpress, make sure you install the Akismet plugin. If you install a forum, make sure you have it set so that users don't get their registrations approved automatically.

Hi, I was already planning to insert some antispam countermeasures. Do you have a few examples of forums or blogs that I can download? preferably for free, as I don't have much money to spend...
littlegiant
If you have a Frihost account, just use Fantastico in cPanel to install WordPress (blog) and SMF (forum) for free. No muss, no fuss.
giovle
littlegiant wrote:
If you have a Frihost account, just use Fantastico in cPanel to install WordPress (blog) and SMF (forum) for free. No muss, no fuss.

Thx, will do! Any help on how to make a mailinglist? There is a possibility with majordomo on the frihost cPanel but I cannot get it to work. Any tips on that?
Azmo
tbh, simple and clean still works, but it's kinda getting old now.. the new thing is motion.. flash, something that atracts the eye of the viewer.
littlegiant
giovle, sorry but I have never tried Major Domo. Actually I have no experience with mailing lists whatsoever.

Quote:
tbh, simple and clean still works, but it's kinda getting old now.. the new thing is motion.. flash, something that atracts the eye of the viewer.

Azmo, just out of curiosity, what are you basing that on?
reddishblue
littlegiant wrote:

Quote:

Azmo, just out of curiosity, what are you basing that on?

Go look on modern corporate sites, and places where they sell websites for use, almost all of them are flash now, I think companies are actually beginning to discover that Clean and Simple is very easy to do.
They are onto us kids! Get my coat!

Reddish
littlegiant
Hmmm, interesting. Yeah I'll definitely check that out.
giovle
I already figured that flash is kinda important in websites, so can anyone of you tell me if there are some good tutorials to be found on the internet?
thx
littlegiant
I think you're in for a big chew if you want to sink your teeth into Flash. Moreover, Flash editing programs like Macromedia Flash MX will cost you a king's ransom. I don't know if there are any free Flash editing programs but I do know that Swish is an inexpensive alternative to Flash MX. Never tried it though so I can't vouch for how well it will meet your particular web design needs.
warezfun
Hi, I was already planning to insert some antispam countermeasures. Do you have a few examples of forums or blogs that I can download? preferably for free, as I don't have much money to spend...
asim
hi Buddy,

i think Wordpress is the best for Blog's and PHPBB, vBulletien, SMF are good for forums.... i think this would help..... just google these terms to download them.
giovle
Hi,

thx for all you posts, now I have a working site (http://www.idiotsdelightband.be/)
I even translated in English, to make it readable for e.g. Frihosters Smile

The only thing that hasn't yet been activated on the site, is the forum. I downloaded the resources for a phpBB2 forum. The only problem I'm having is, that I cannot seem to get it customised to look the same way, the site does. If I'm talking jibberish tell me Wink

Is there anyone with a tutorial or an easy explanation how to customise a forum's layout?

Thx
zjosie729
I really like the animated "I" "D" on the front page, but when I clicked on "English", it crashed my computer, and my computer isn't old and bad.

I suppose you're using scripts and flash, which is really cool and everything, but I suggest sticking with a mostly static design.
giovle
zjosie729 wrote:
I really like the animated "I" "D" on the front page, but when I clicked on "English", it crashed my computer, and my computer isn't old and bad.

I suppose you're using scripts and flash, which is really cool and everything, but I suggest sticking with a mostly static design.

Strange, I just opened it and it worked out fine ... I must say, I've just been working on it this afternoon, readjusting the script that's needed to open the first page ... So you maybe tried to enter the site when I was just uploading the new versions ... You should try again later and see if it happens again.

By the way, the ID I drew myself. Those are hand-drawn pictures, 24 to be exact. All rotated approximately 15 and put together in an animated gif ... Believe me, it took me a whole week to draw it (the originals are drawn on an A4-paper) But indeed I think it gives a nice touch to the first page
kerryworkman
Animal wrote:

I have done graphic design for a while but web design is new to me, so I am glad that someone is asking these questions. I have found alot of useful info on both of these forums so I just wanted to say thank you to all of you who have contributed to them, and for starting them in the first place. Smile
giovle
kerryworkman wrote:
Animal wrote:

I have done graphic design for a while but web design is new to me, so I am glad that someone is asking these questions. I have found alot of useful info on both of these forums so I just wanted to say thank you to all of you who have contributed to them, and for starting them in the first place. Smile

No problem. You know, if everybody contributes just a few helpfull sentences to a question, you can really save yourself the trouble of paying someone to teach you.