FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

7950gt

dz9c
im thinking of upgrading to a stronger card. im running a x300se wich aint bad realy. thought it would be worse but its pretty good, anyways im looking for a 256-bit card so i thought the 7950gt might last me for a while. the only problem i have is that i got a 305watt power supply and i dont know if it would handle the 7950gt but im a tight budget here. it says it needs 350 watts but people are always running high cards on low power supplys fine. wut do u think
djclue917
More powerful cards actually draw a lot of power from the PSU. PCIe cards usually consume as much as 135 Watts (!!!) of power. I don't think that a 300 Watts PSU will suffice. If you do insist of still using your 300 Watt-PSU for supplying power to a power-hungry graphics processing unit like the 7950GT, your PSU might end up blowing up (or 'exploding', if you prefer) and your motherboard might end up getting underpowered which was actually the case with mine. I suggest that you do yourself a favor and get a 500 Watt-PSU, at the least, before buying that 7950GT card. By the way, we actually have the same kind of GPU, X300SE. Cool
dz9c
djclue917 wrote:
More powerful cards actually draw a lot of power from the PSU. PCIe cards usually consume as much as 135 Watts (!!!) of power. I don't think that a 300 Watts PSU will suffice. If you do insist of still using your 300 Watt-PSU for supplying power to a power-hungry graphics processing unit like the 7950GT, your PSU might end up blowing up (or 'exploding', if you prefer) and your motherboard might end up getting underpowered which was actually the case with mine. I suggest that you do yourself a favor and get a 500 Watt-PSU, at the least, before buying that 7950GT card. By the way, we actually have the same kind of GPU, X300SE. Cool

yea ur probably right i shud be on the safe side. and yea lol the x300 aint bad i mean it runs most of the games i play pretty well. i can play halo 1 with all the settings on high except for the shadows and play smooth. but the x300 is like 40 bucks. compare that to the 7950gt for 200...
Helios
I would not recommend buying a high end DX9 card now.
DX10 games will be out in 2-3 months, and adding few more bucks you can get yourself a decent 8800GTS.