FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Meaning Of Your Name

JimmyHoffa1029
I have always wanted to know what my name meant. A name defines a person , and sometimes his personality. Ill start
this off.

JASON

Usage: English, Greek Mythology (Latinized), Biblical

Pronounced: JAY-sun *key]

From the Greek name Ιασων (Iason), which was derived from Greek ιασθαι (iasthai) "to heal". Jason was the leader of the Argonauts in Greek legend. He went in search of the Golden Fleece in order to win back his kingdom from his uncle Pelias. During his journeys he married the sorceress Medea, who helped him gain the fleece and kill his uncle, but who later turned against him when he fell in love with another woman. This name is also used to translate the Hebrew name Joshua.

Interseting. My name means to heal and I can also be called Joshua.

Start posting and have fun.
TruPain
Most times, when there is a post like this, there is a link to follow, cause sadly, too many people don't want to search on their own, or they want to keep things all from the same site, so it is more uniformed as far as the meanings go.

For my name, I used this site: http://www.behindthename.com/

And came up with the following results:

JOHN

Usage: English, Biblical

Pronounced: JAHN [key]

English form of Iohannes, which was the Latin form of the Greek name Ιωαννης (Ioannes), itself derived from the Hebrew name יוֹחָנָן (Yochanan) meaning "YAHWEH is gracious". This name owes its consistent popularity to two New Testament characters, both highly revered as saints. The first was John the Baptist, the forerunner of Jesus Christ and a victim of beheading by Herod Antipas. The second was the apostle John, also supposedly the author of the fourth Gospel and Revelation.
The name has been borne by 21 popes and eight Byzantine emperors, as well as kings of England, France, Sweden, Denmark, Poland, Portugal and Hungary. It was also borne by the poet John Milton and the philosopher John Locke.
datter
This stuff is always interesting. Mine is;

DAVID

Usage: English, Jewish, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Czech, Slovene, German, Biblical

Other Scripts: דָוִד (Hebrew), Давид (Russian)

Pronounced: DAY-vid (English), dah-VEED (Hebrew), da-VEED (French), dah-VEET (Russian), DAH-fit (German) [key]
Possibly derived from Hebrew דוד (dvd) meaning "beloved". David was the second and greatest of the kings of Israel, ruling in the 10th century BC. Several stories about him are told in the Old Testament, including his defeat of Goliath, a giant Philistine. Jesus was supposedly descended from him.

Famous bearers of this name include the 5th-century patron saint of Wales, two kings of Scotland, empiricist philosopher David Hume, and explorer David Livingstone. This is also the name of the hero of Charles Dickens' semiautobiographical novel 'David Copperfield'.
reddishblue
Here's mine:
Quote:

ASHLEY

Usage: English

Pronounced: ASH-lee [key]
From an English surname which was originally derived from a place name meaning "ash tree clearing" in Old English. Until the 1960s it was more commonly given to boys in the United States, but it is now most often used on girls.

Well, at least I don't have such a common name, even if it is a somewhat common meaning! Cool
Reddish
vinx_18
Here's mine:

KRISTOFFER

Usage: Scandinavian of Christopher

CHRISTOPHER

Usage: English

Pronounced: KRIS-to-fur [key]
Means "bearing Christ", derived from Late Greek Χριστος (Christos) combined with φερω (phero) "to bear, to carry". Christopher was the legendary saint who carried the young Jesus across a river. He is the patron saint of travellers. Another famous bearer was Christopher Columbus, the explorer who reached the West Indies in the 15th century.
Animal
Sorry to be a killjoy, but this is a bit spammy. There's also a lot of copying and pasting going on without proper use of quote tags.

If you're interested in the meaning of your real name, I'm sure you can find out for yourself using this site. Wink

-close-