FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


what does "see you on the flipside" mean to you?





carlospro7
So I was wondering how people take this saying when they hear it.

...
Vrythramax
well, classically the flip side was the "B" side of a recording...but it has taken on more of a slang terminology (at I think so anyway) towards meaning "See you later".
blackheart
Dang Max, you beat me to it.

The B-side then became known as the flip-side when DJ's started using the alternate side of a record to change songs quickly (or to other effect), quickly flipping the album over to scratch the track on the other side.

Many songs on the B-side also proved more successful than those on the A-side, such as the hugely famous bee-boppa-lula. (or how-ever it's actually spelled).
carlospro7
very interested, I never really knew any of this stuff. I've heard it said meaning "see you later"
Tumbleweed
See you in the afterlife... see you on the other side
otiscom
It's quite old.

I take it to mean see you later
scotty
Well I only ever say "catch you on the flipside" and I have never really thought of why or where it has come from. I guess it's from the tape terminology and that makes sense. But I think it's just one of those stupid things we say that seem to catch on. It doesn't even have a ring to it!
McDucque
I honestly hope people don't use this phrase anymore, just because of the context behind it... that and its just plain goofy...
Vrythramax
scotty wrote:
Well I only ever say "catch you on the flipside" and I have never really thought of why or where it has come from. I guess it's from the tape terminology and that makes sense. But I think it's just one of those stupid things we say that seem to catch on. It doesn't even have a ring to it!


Actually it pre-dates "tape-technology"...it had to do with vinyl recordings....you know records....more specifically not albums, but 45's that only carried one song (the A track) on one side, and the "B" track on the other. Wink
bartdou
well, I don't even know what it means, is it a slang?
standready
This is a common slang that truckers use on the Citizen Band (CB) radios reffering to talking to some local on their "return" trip.
Also, as Max said, the "B" side of vinyl records. The "A" side was the popular song. The "B" side was in general a fill piece.
JrMac21
Hm! I have heard the slang but never knew how got it started. I guess it could mean "see you later" or "till we meet again"
seanooi
I never knew it could mean 'see you later'. All the while i always thought it meant something like 'see you in the afterlife' or something Laughing
gtherockgod
Vrythramax wrote:
well, classically the flip side was the "B" side of a recording...but it has taken on more of a slang terminology (at I think so anyway) towards meaning "See you later".


That's how i'd always taken it. I havent heard anyone use those phrase in freakin' forever....i dont think i've ever heard it said in person haha
blackheart
seanooi wrote:
I never knew it could mean 'see you later'. All the while i always thought it meant something like 'see you in the afterlife' or something Laughing


That's funny, I'm the opposite. I've never heard it used to mean "see you in the afterlife".
nilsmo
I take flipside to mean tomorrow.
unknownc1c
i generally think it means see you later, but i've heard people say it in ways that mean other things. If someone said that to me i'd just automatically assume "see you later" but that's just me.
jabapyth
iive never heard it before, but i assume it would mean "see you later (after we/I have done whatever it is that we/I am/are going to do)"
something like that Smile
slasonic
I thought it was like see you tomorrow. I always assumed it meant when the world 'flips' around again, I will see you.
Scott
I've never taken it as anything other than "see you later".

imagefree
i never heared it before. its info
darrenpaul
To me, it means see you later - thats what it means in Ireland anyway
erlendhg
Don't know what it or its underlaying meanings (if there are any) means.
Have never heard it...
I'm Norwegian Razz
kuyman
I always thought it meant flipside as in when the earth rotated and a new day started. I could be completely wrong, but that's always the explanation that made the most sense to me. When the night comes, the earth rotates, or flips until the morning where it is on the other side. So after a long day of hanging out, it's like saying I'll see you tomorrow.

They may have been the crudest explanation of that ever, but there you go.
BugBear
Interesting how almost everyone has heard/used/knows what is means. I'm hearing that phrase for the first time in my life -,-
Zombie
Hmm... I always thought it meant that the person was traveling to china and they expect the other person to meet them there. It's great to finally know the real meaning.
Vrythramax
It seems it really is true, you can learn something new everyday....if you actually look to learn Wink
Captain Fertile
From my understanding of the term it originates from the old vinyl records with an A and A B side.

It generally also means to see someone in the afterlife once you are both dead. It can also mean to meet someone on the return leg of a journey (I believe this is derived from the old CB trucker vernacular when the term ‘flip-flop’ was used for the term of return journey).

Whenever I hear it I always think if the –after death- usage of the word.

PS Oh I forgot to mention, to see the flipside means to see the other persons perspective or oppinion in an argument.
blackheart
I like my mum's explanation.

When you know you're going to see someone after something has hapened, or when you're meeting them somewhere after you've taken different routes.
Vrythramax
blackheart wrote:
I like my mum's explanation.

When you know you're going to see someone after something has hapened, or when you're meeting them somewhere after you've taken different routes.


Whoa....your Mums a pretty deep thinker there Jess...I had to read it twice Embarassed
Rico
McDucque wrote:
I honestly hope people don't use this phrase anymore, just because of the context behind it... that and its just plain goofy...


OK you’ve got my attention. Please elaborate.

Or were you just kidding?
[FuN]goku
um.... it means nothing really to me... i remember hearing it in the 90's in a movie .... think it was power rangers XD im not sure tho...
Hotnfresh
I think the more popular meaning actually comes from LSD movement. After you drop some acid, you'd say "See you on the flip side" to whoever you're taking it with. Although taking ecstacy is (was) often referred to as "flipping", so who knows. The vinyl record theory is pretty good too but I know for a fact that's what hippies used to say to each other.
natilovesmike
I don't know...maybe it means....think about the oposite...what do you think now?

I'm not sure that makes any sense
deanhills
Think Max still has the best answer on the "flip side" of this thread page:
Quote:
well, classically the flip side was the "B" side of a recording...but it has taken on more of a slang terminology (at I think so anyway) towards meaning "See you later".
... that was from 2007 by the way .... Wink
Parkour_Jarrod
Dude, When i think "see you on the flip side" I think like stuff is gonna go down, and your going to see them when it all unfolds...
Greatking
i think it means see you on the other side of life, you know like you have closed from work and you say to your coleagues or freinds see at the other end which means tomorrow or at the party or something.
soljarag
nilsmo wrote:
I take flipside to mean tomorrow.


Same here.. either tomorow, or next week
Bluedoll
Oh wow, the flip side, could be anything couldn't it? I guess it is one of those saying you hear, not really sure what it means but say back something like, "ok, have a nice day!"

I know there is that LP record flip thing to associate with but for some reason I’ve also thought of a coin where one side is a head and the other tails.

To me flip side means two different ways of looking at something or with different intentions. It could be anything when someone says it to you but I think of something like you have to go to work now but be back later for r and r.

However, it could also mean something like at a later date lets look at this upside down and see if it looks any different, although we know it is the same thing.

Smile
Related topics
No vbulletin/IPB? Does that mean no forums?
Guys what does this mean?
Which customer support does IE mean?
Is there only ONE God?
Does being pro-war contrast w/ religion (e.g. Christianity)?
Google and Static Ip's - Does Google Penalize Shared Ip's?
What does this mean?
What Does It Mean To "Follow Your Heart"?
[Japanese] What does this mean? [/Japanese]
Clipboard thread
What does it mean?
What does fri mean?
What does it mean?
What does friend mean to you?
what does the mean dual processor, quad-core 2.0 gigahertz
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.