FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Command & Conquer series

naskomar
What do you think about these games?Do you think they are interesting?Discuss here.
ShawnKelfonne
The older games are definitely classics, and are fun to go back and play every once in a while. C+C 3 isn't bad, but Red Alert 2 was the high-point of the series I think.
naskomar
If you are both playing C&C Tiberian Sun and C&C 3 you will see C&C 3 is like C&C Tiberian Sun.In C&C 3 most of the buildings in the game are in Tiberian Sun.So C&C 3 isn't a new game.It's something like expansion of Tiberian Sun.I like it because the graphics are very good and the campaign is interesting. I think Red Alert 2 with Yuri's Revenge is better than only Red Alert 2.
Alie
About C&C:
The game tactics changed a lot after adding ability to enter end protect civil buildings. That is why I like C&C Generals (/Zero Hour) much more than the first Command & Conquer game. Also graphics and sound are good. But for those times of Dune II, the first C&C was pretty cool game! Not worse than Warcraft I.
_Jak_
Generals and Zero Hour ruined the series!

Yuri's Revenge was probably the best game of the series, and i really enjoyed the change in Renegade and am sad that Renegade 2 was cancelled.

I have played every game of the series except CnC 3 and the originals were great...top games of their time.

Can't wait to play number 3 and am glad someone finally started a topic about one of the greatest game series of all time!
deemon
Generals and Zero Hour have a different style then the rest of the series. In Generals you have to build with the dozers etc while in Red Altert 2 you can build with the main building.
I agree that Red Alert 2 was better than Generals but I think only the campaign. In multiplayer mode I enjoyed Zero Hour more than Red Alert 2. The air units in Zero Hour are a complete new idea that the Red Alert 2 lacks.
_Jak_
yea i guess your right...but i still think EA ruined the classic Command and Conquer style of gaming...but i guess im a fan of most RTS games.

i think generals and zero hour would have been better if they hadn't come out under the CnC name and instead have been a seperate game, then they would have more popularity as they are good games. Sorta like alundra and alundra 2 if u play alundra 2 ignoring the fact that the game has the alundra name its excellent!

back to the CnC topic though, they are great games and if you haven't played them DO SO esspecially the older ones like RA, RA2 and YR!
m-productions
_Jak_ wrote:
Generals and Zero Hour ruined the series!

Yuri's Revenge was probably the best game of the series, and i really enjoyed the change in Renegade and am sad that Renegade 2 was cancelled.

I have played every game of the series except CnC 3 and the originals were great...top games of their time.

Can't wait to play number 3 and am glad someone finally started a topic about one of the greatest game series of all time!

I have to agree with you 100% (not on the yuris revenge being the best =)- that would be red alert 1)

ANYWAY, the C and C games are by far my fav games of all time, I made many of mods for Tirbren sun, and lots of custom stories for RA2 fully scripted. I love these games, Back when TS first came out, I was rank 7 in the world (thats for their online, i never went to any competions,) for a long time, but then when i was about to move up, i kinda stoped playing (had other things i needed to do)

in the end, c and c games rock, and the 3rd one being the best yet!!!!! (yet skrin are way to overpowered) COME ON EXPANSION PACK!
_Jak_
Another thing (sorry if im ranting a bit) tiberian sun sorta messed up some things...like why was the mamoth tank on legs?? im surprised lucas arts didnt sue Razz and i think it was TOO futuristic even for the tiberian series...Tib Dawn all the way Smile

i can not wait till i get CnC 3 cause everyone tells me that it rocks!!

WOOT CNC
m-productions
Yeah C and C 3 rocks, and has a good story, and I gata agree with you on TB, it does seem to futuristic! but still, a good game. C adn C3 seems less futuristic than TB, but yet its... more.. lol hard to explain, but youll see.
_Jak_
yea i know what you mean

they even admitted themselves (westwood/people from westwood that stuck with ea) that Tib sun was too futuristic and that cnc 3 brought it back from the clouds Very Happy i have read so many good reviews that i cant wait to get it!
Nutteloos
I'm personally not that excited by C&C 3. You can build a complete base including all of the high-end buildings in about half the time you could accomplish the same thing in Tiberian Sun. (man, I loved that game)

Plus, you can lose a base in half a minute if your opponent keeps spamming all the special 'abilities' like those in Generals. All in all, gameplay is a lot faster which in my opinion ruins it.
m-productions
Nutteloos wrote:
I'm personally not that excited by C&C 3. You can build a complete base including all of the high-end buildings in about half the time you could accomplish the same thing in Tiberian Sun. (man, I loved that game)

Plus, you can lose a base in half a minute if your opponent keeps spamming all the special 'abilities' like those in Generals. All in all, gameplay is a lot faster which in my opinion ruins it.

Very good point there, however, I think in any RTS game the "special abilities" ruin the game, like the hunter seaker in TB... dear god, that thing was gay. But I do agree, but then again, thats why in a lot of big games, people turn off the super weapons (however, skrin with their mother ship.. .. holy crap!!!! what a unit)

but all and all, it does seem a lot faster paced... almost like a SC feel, but thank god they didnt go the way of generals.. omg that sucked =( im just glad EA made a comeback with this C and C... westwood was so good.
naskomar
C&C 3 definitely failed the series. Maybe this is the worst of all games. Only the graphics are new and several buildings. Generals isn't very interesting too. Only the air units are something great. The old games are classic, I think Yuri's Revenge is the high-point of the series.
Bump_on_a_Log08
Yeah I think the C&C series has always been really good, though I do think Generals was a little to off from the rest of the series I didn't like seeing such a small portion of the map and not being able to make absolutely gigantic numbers of forces. I'm kinda more of a big-base-heavy-defences-and-build-up-a-single-huge-army type of strategy game player and it was hard to do that in Generals. One game that I wish I still had was Total Annihilation which I think was about the same quality as most of the C&C games, I would always play the map with the four metal islands. Anyways...
nolag
I recently purchased Supreme commander. I didnt know which one to get between supreme commander and C and C. I now have the money to get C and C ,does anyone recommend it? Ive seen videos on it and the weapons look amazing?
mattchun
It's only in our memories you know,
2 and 3 are only crap.
asianwannabe999
CC3 has a good plot line and pretty sweet graphics and audio. I dunno what the above poster is talking about. This game rules over everything else in this series. Red Alert was a very unbalanced game. This game has gotten very high ratings from most of the big review sites/magazines. The movie cuts also have good actors that really made me crack up seeing them in a rts game. Cameron, from House M.D. and Sawyer from LOST are featured in the game. Great stuff.
m-productions
naskomar wrote:
C&C 3 definitely failed the series. Maybe this is the worst of all games. Only the graphics are new and several buildings. Generals isn't very interesting too. Only the air units are something great. The old games are classic, I think Yuri's Revenge is the high-point of the series.

simply put, this is just some person trying to get web hosting... I bet he hasnt even played C and C 3, and just said it cuase he cant play it... i mean,, yes people may not like it as they fav.. but if anything.. it saved the series.. didnt fail it...
soulman
CnCs are good game, good story, the creator of the RTS time, but the game mode appear to be old, less strategies, but still a good game...
Razziel
in my opinion Command And Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars is awsome, in coparation with 1 and 2.
Ghengis
I loved all the older games, though Tiberium Sun never held my attention for very long. My wife loves Generals/ZH and we still play computer-stomp multiplayer together sometimes. It's pretty fun, but I find that at least against the AI you eventually run out of new strategies to try and fall into something of a rut. The different Generals you can pick add a lot of variety, and that's something I miss in CnC3. Maybe there will wind up being some high-quality community mods that add that sort of variety back into the multiplayer.

Speaking of CnC3, I've played some multi (also with my wife) but not much of the campaign. If you've played a fair amount of multiplayer, do you get much out of going back and doing the campaign?
wombatrpgs
I really haven't plaed anything of theirs since Red Alert 2. Everything else went down hill. The later games seem to be less based on strategy and more on blowing PC cards with humongously complex graphics. Not to mention it makes it impossible to tell what's going on. I didn't even get the expansion pack for RA2. It seemed the point of the series was realism, and the sequel, while not entirely realistic, (time traveling Einstein?) at least kept something resembling sanity.

And I also don't like that online play is desupported for older games... Especially when I'm two years late getting everything, and anticipate online from the back of the box only to find connection errors...
Ghengis
You have a bit of an odd perspective on this, IMHO. C&C is not the only game that transitioned from 2D to 3D -- all kinds of games made that change around the same time. It's not even "real" 3D, in that you can play through the whole game without ever rotating/tilting/zooming the camera. Sure, some computers might have an old/cheap enough video card that you can't run it, but you could make that complaint about most games on the market -- unless all you own is a laptop, you can get a video card that will handle Generals easily for about the average MSRP of a DVD. Some people didn't like the changes they made to the mechanics, but basically it's the same "rules" as Starcraft and Warcraft, both of which I (and many, many other people) like. I'm not saying you *will* love the difference, but you probably owe it to yourself to give them a chance.
Sparda
I've been playing these games ever since they started. My favorite Command & Conquer game so far would have to be Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge.
Ran_Werkheiser
I like CnC Generals: Zero Hour more than Red Alert 2. I guess the strategy in Zero Hour is more in-depth than RA2. Not to mention the awesome graphics, from 2.5G (depth is present in the game), to complete 3G. I particularly like the explosions and the rumbling effects.
QrafTee
Ran_Werkheiser wrote:
I like CnC Generals: Zero Hour more than Red Alert 2. I guess the strategy in Zero Hour is more in-depth than RA2. Not to mention the awesome graphics, from 2.5G (depth is present in the game), to complete 3G. I particularly like the explosions and the rumbling effects.

I can tell you why you like Generals more than Red Alert 2. You're more of a Starcraft/Warcraft kinda person, right? Because the format in Generals is much like those games rather than traditional CnC games. Traditional CnC have side navi-panels, "cheesy" live-movies, and not as clear-cut upgrading format for units.
FroHawK
haha the command and conquer games are the best RTS i know, and even a really good FPS, i have played Renegade for hours and it never really got boring. Now i have gotten c&c 3 and its really good. I actually started playing c&c games when i was young. i watched my older brother play c&c red alert. and i couldnt stop watching him it was such a great game!
achowles
I've got the First Decade so I've played them all plus the demo of C&C3. They're great games all in all.

I like them a lot but on the whole they're rather basic compared to other examples of the genre out there in terms of gameplay mechanics. A pause feature through which you can issue orders is always welcome.

Then Generals came along and was essentially a whole different game, C&C in name only. Don't get me wrong, I think that's probably the best one I've played, but I wonder if them branding it C&C was anything more than a marketing ploy. It's as if Westwood went under and EA rebranded another title in the works to plug the gap.

Does anyone here recommend C&C3? It seemed pretty good from the demo, but opinions welcome.
Patriot Players
The original Red Alert was the first computer game I ever played (yeah, Im a game nubbin in that sense, I know). Needless to say, I got totally hooked and have been gaming ever since. The CnC series is still excellent, although the Red Alert ones have been my personal faves. The historical angle they have is excellent. Red Alert 2 was a bit farfetched but still good.
enygmasoft
naskomar wrote:
What do you think about these games?Do you think they are interesting?Discuss here.

I love these, especially part one. Kain rules as the ultimate bad guy.
lethaltriad
I've been following the series from the start. Playing Tiberiun Sun now and its nice, love the graphics and the gameplay but really looking for something different, hopefully Starcraft 2 will bring something new to the table!
Damarus
C&CG - Tiberian Sun
I love that game...pure <3 ... not very good graphics but it's simple and really fun Razz
vaoger
command and conquer.. all time flavourite....
all look s techist... cool.. good game play...
very unic story line...
now my personnal flavourite C&C is C&C 3 tiberium war..
the scrin... rule...
mothership... my flavourite unit..
Nutteloos
The official Tiberian Sun was one of the first strategy games I've ever played, and it still remains one of my all-time favorites. Played quite a bit of RA2 too, and even completed Renegade. (what the hell got into me?)

I have played Generals for quite a while too, but it couldn't quite draw me in as well as the previous games. From the latest game I only played the demo and tossed it aside quite fast... dunno what they want the series to become but I'm not sure I like it.
Damarus
Nutteloos wrote:
Played quite a bit of RA2 too, and even completed Renegade. (what the hell got into me?)

yea..it is a bit addictive Smile
but since i started playing COD2 i decided to drop c&cg and go on with it... Confused
greatfire
I LOVE Tiberian Sun. BEST. GAME. EVER. You might have guessed that I like it from my avatar Very Happy
Nutteloos
I'm really surprised I never really got into the expansion for Tiberian Sun... it's supposed to be good too, but for some reason I never felt the urge to go beyond a first look at it.
Ghengis
I played the new one (Tiberium Wars) some with my wife, and it just doesn't "feel" the same -- did anybody else feel that way?

In all the previous games, for instance, I felt like the rock-paper-scissors elements really jump out at you -- if you shoot an infantry unit with a machine gun, they die almost right away. A few rockets kills a tank. In Tiberium Wars, it feels like there's no way to kill most units in a few seconds with a cleverly-picked opponent. Maybe it's just me?
Nutteloos
Ghengis wrote:
I played the new one (Tiberium Wars) some with my wife, and it just doesn't "feel" the same -- did anybody else feel that way?

In all the previous games, for instance, I felt like the rock-paper-scissors elements really jump out at you -- if you shoot an infantry unit with a machine gun, they die almost right away. A few rockets kills a tank. In Tiberium Wars, it feels like there's no way to kill most units in a few seconds with a cleverly-picked opponent. Maybe it's just me?

You can still kill infantry quite quicky with a flamethrower, but that's about it indeed. Loved and missed that too.
Ghengis
Good point -- that, and grenading garrisoned troops. The first time I dropped a grenadier in an APC and cleared a line of enemy buildings in like 10 seconds, I got this big smile on my face...
enygmasoft
Comand and conquer is a great seriea and a great strategy game and also one of the first. I love the original game as well as the rest of the series. but part one is the best I think.
Terrasis-Cian
Oh command and conquer Very Happy absolutly brilliant... Generals did take it into a new level but i felt the game was limited... one could only build a limited amount of troops etc. I'd say red alert was the best really, the others went too crazy, but they had to i suppose, they were still great fun...

My problem, is that i always want to create a fabulous base. A magnifficant setup with a full perimter. Trouble is i always run out of resources or space OR i get bombed or something... AGH I guess i will never build the perfect base Sad

Does anyone else know what im on about?
Ghengis
If you love base building, there's a whole subgenre that focuses more on building and less on combat. Actually, if you get a chance, try to hunt down Majesty -- they're putting out a sequel this year, but the original is most of a decade old at this point. It's really fun though -- it still kind of feels like an RTS, in that there are mobs to slay that will come attack you if you wait around, but there's not an ongoing war between different factions or anything. You can just build up at your own pace. There's a number of other games that straddle this line between sim and strategy. If anybody else thinks of some, feel free to post -- it's my wife's favorite part of RTSes, and Majesty is probably her favorite game of all time, so anything else in that vein would be a great find for me.
andersonic
I still sometimes play one of the old ones on the PS1 via link cable.

Still haven't picked up Red Alert 3 for the PS3.
Ghengis
If you're considering RA3 for PS3, make sure you get the demo first. RTS on a console really, really takes a lot of getting used to. RA3 is better "optimized" for consoles design-wise than some -- everybody has exactly one special ability, for example, rather than up to 5-6 like in Generals -- but you're still not going to be able to micro-manage like you can with a 101-key keyboard.
wombatrpgs
I've never been able to do that sort of stuff on console. You can tell when a game on PC has been made with console in mind when it's mouse-excessive... RA3 is not.
Nutteloos
Playing RTS on a console seems like such a waste of good potential... you're never going to experience as much depth of the game as you would on a PC. You're just agonizing over how much faster you could've played it with a mouse.
Ghengis
Well, at risk of seriously derailing the thread, I think a Strategy game that happens to be Real Time can work on a console, but you really have to change up the scale of things. On a PC, you have tons of shortcut keys and a very precise, responsive mouse, which is used as a pointing device for absolute location (e.g., location fixed in relation to the screen). On the console, you have an order of magnitude fewer keys, and a directional (e.g. movement relative to your hands) pointing device. With the right design, it can work, but it's just better suited to a different kind of interaction.

You can "fix" the problem one of two ways: make a game that plays to consoles' strengths, and happens to look kind of like an RTS, or make an RTS that works around the weaknesses of a console.

EndWar is a good example of thinking outside the box to design around weaknesses -- you don't have a number pad to assign "squads" to, so it assigns numbers automatically and extends the number of "commands" you have using voice recognition. OTOH, Red Alert 3 and Halo Wars are both good examples of designing to console strength -- if you don't give units a dozen powers, you don't need a dozen buttons to execute them.
Vladalf
They don't really attract me with all the time traveling and stuff. Also the cutcenes between the missions are pretty clunky but I guess that's their little charm.
Vlad
wombatrpgs
Yeah time travel sort of disrupts the whole thing. The issue is that RA1 had a lot of its charms due to its realism to some extent. RA2 really pushed it, but I think by the RA2 expansion it was pretty much over.
Ghengis
It's campy sci-fi. That's the "charm". If that's not your style, well, I guess I can't fault you. But if you can watch a single scene with Tim Curry or George Takei in RA3 without grinning, you have no soul.
enygmasoft
Ghengis wrote:
It's campy sci-fi. That's the "charm". If that's not your style, well, I guess I can't fault you. But if you can watch a single scene with Tim Curry or George Takei in RA3 without grinning, you have no soul.

In terms of movie quality or lack there of you cant deny its scifi quality story, but that not why I play it its more of an addiction to strategy gamr\ews in general. If anything I find all of the blizzard strategy games to have way better stories than command and conquer will ever come close to.
Ghengis
Again, it's not about the story being "better" -- I don't watch 30 Rock or Futurama because the *story* is "good", I watch it because it's *funny*. It's not that the story is so well written in RA2 and 3, it's that it's so well *executed*.
amperx
renegade was good, and like the fps feel to it, with the elements that existed in the C&C series,

but what i really loved is the good old c&c tiberian series more than the red alert franchise, because of its storyline and plot, althought RA3 was new, i think it was kinda short, i just feel like somethings missing on it
vaoger
but personally i love the Tiberium more than red alert.....
i think that command and conquer 3 tiberium war have more unit to select, build, and more type of counter strategy to use compare to the red alert 3/uprising

but if comapred to the storyline...
red alert storyline are much better and less complex compare to the tiberium war....
wombatrpgs
I've never found the storyline of either particularly engrossing... It's not the sort of genre that needs one.
vaoger
wombatrpgs wrote:
I've never found the storyline of either particularly engrossing... It's not the sort of genre that needs one.

coz i loved the campaign mode more than skirmish game...
coz in campaign it expalined almost every unit history, and some they teach you how to use it better..
Story line just connecting them all to one, which i think is important once you pay and hope to from. CAST is not important for me.