FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

thinking of getting a laptop

pmoser
just wondering if anybody has any suggestions. i like macs, and i do a lot of design work, but i think i would be just as good with a PC for a better price. does anybody know of any reasonably priced PC's that they have and like and got a big screen and whatnot.
Relentless
Well depends on what you call a reasonable price...

But windows vista is a brilliant OS. Microsoft really did make the day of graphical designers and the film industry.

but i think compaq is doing a good deal with windows vista and a widescreen monitar. high speed prossecer and 2048mb ram...

wb..
froginabox
You might want to look up something called the ModBook... yes, it is a Mac, but it is "hacked" and modified to be a tablet. Its pretty nifty... I so want one.

As far as a PC, just look for something with a good wide screen and a good video card.

You might not want to get a Vista laptop unless you are positive that all your software for whatever designing you do is completely Vista compatible. If it is, go for it, if not, stick with XP.
matto
I strongly suggest Dell; they often have many coupons that make their low priced computers an even better solution.

I my self, purchased an m1210 laptop from Dell. I have a history of breaking my laptops due to it falling off the bed or spilling stuff on it or what ever and opted for the extra $200 2 year accidental damage replace/repair warranty. I've used it once already because the the bag that the laptop was in fell down a flight of stairs and cracked the casing. I sent it in, and a week and half later got it back with new casing. Granted that may not have been worth the $200 dollars, not yet anyways... Still a year left on my warranty Wink
tekanubis
I'd go to gentech.com, they have a lot of customizable options you can choose from. If you are trying to get the biggest bang for your buck, and I know you said you didn't want one, but a macbook is good. I have macs, but you can also get a student discount from macs and such which makes them typically cheaper for similar quality. I plan on buying from gentech in august cuz I love their asus notebooks.
psycosquirrel
I second the M1210 recommendation. They are coming out with a new revision soon, so it is on sale. It is a great laptop, more than enough power for almost everyone's needs.
agustin
obviously is a good idea. They`re sousefull and beautifull. I`ve got one and I tell you its great.
gorn
Really think about what form factor you want. I know people that really wanted a big screen, then they get this huge screen on a very cumbersome computer and it's a pain to take anywhere because the battery dies so quickly and it weighs a ton. On the other hand for a long time I was all about the 12" screen very small laptops (I would've gotten smaller if they were affordable). Then I realized that it's not much heavier/less cumbersome to have a bigger screen if the computer is thin and it's designed to be portable rather than a desktop replacement. Apple does do a good job at this. Even their 17" is very easy to carry. Still a bit big for me, but much better than some of the other 17"ers i've seen.