FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Awards

reddishblue
Hello All,
Firstly, I am aware that there is already a topic for a thing like this, this topic is completely different.
Look at Wikipedia's awards http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Awards
I think we should have a simular system in place here at Frihost, this is not for individual posts, this is for overall helping the forums become a better place.

The awards should go on the user page, and should be small icons, I can help with designing them if you want.
Who wins should be decided by the staff, not users, we tend not to understand the forums like you do.

There should be awards like:
Best Posts (explaines its self)
Most Helpful (giving links to things, reporting)
Ice Breaker (starting useful coversations)
Second Opinion (lending expertise to forums like science, games)
You guys can help me think of more.

I think these will be useful to encourage members to aim high, and reward them for making this a better place.

Also, the WHOLE staff should vote, not just Bondings, he has enough work already and really can't do this alone, as was shown with the Fortnightly Fantastic Frihoster.

Share your opinions
Reddish
Scorpio
I think this is a good idea as well..

I have nothing more to add, so I ll simply second the Idea. The prizes can be in Frih$ as well
babumuchhala
A nice idea, but freakishly tedious to implement.

How do we expect all the Mods to vote on who was the best and blah blah, even after we expect them to keep the forum clean, approve new hosting request and not even get thanked properly (let alone get paid)

It would be just another burden on them. Also if we let users vote then it will lose its credibility.
mathiaus
It would be easier if users nominated and staff then chose from the nominations. Save us having to find the people Smile
I like it, the awards themselfs would be easy to do but adding things to user pages would require Bonding's to change his coding priority away from other more important things which is unlikely to happen. I still like it though Razz
tidruG
Believe it or not, this is already under-way. Not exactly in the same manner you said, though. We are planning on putting things into the profile page to display the awards, but we haven't decided the awards yet.

There already is a Fortnightly Fantastic Frihoster award (which, so far, has only been awarded to one Frihoster due to the burden on the staff Razz ... maybe we should change that to a monthly award). We could do the same with these kind of awards as well... make them all monthly.
Ratmaster
I had suggested something like this here.

Awards are a good idea, but users should be able to make them for a price.
ocalhoun
Ratmaster wrote:
but users should be able to make them for a price.

Users should not be able to get awards for a price!
Any awards that can be bought would become meaningless, because some people have scads of frih$.
If you were to make awards that could be bought, you might as well just give the award automatically whenever a user has a certain level of frih$.

Awards that could be bought with real money might be an interesting fund raiser idea though...
I've seen something like that implemented at other forums, where you can donate $5 to become a premium user which gets you:
-Ability to post flash and videos within posts and signatures
-Special rank
-Extra profile field displayed under rank that is user editable
-Super size avatar
-Ability to use smileys (yes, on that forum smileys are disabled for normal users)
And yes the coding for things like that is possible; that forum is a phpbb forum.

I'm not sure such a thing should be implemented at frihost; something similar to it might be acceptable, though.
Ratmaster
ocalhoun wrote:
Ratmaster wrote:
but users should be able to make them for a price.

Users should not be able to get awards for a price!
Any awards that can be bought would become meaningless, because some people have scads of frih$.
If you were to make awards that could be bought, you might as well just give the award automatically whenever a user has a certain level of frih$.

Awards that could be bought with real money might be an interesting fund raiser idea though...
I've seen something like that implemented at other forums, where you can donate $5 to become a premium user which gets you:
-Ability to post flash and videos within posts and signatures
-Special rank
-Extra profile field displayed under rank that is user editable
-Super size avatar
-Ability to use smileys (yes, on that forum smileys are disabled for normal users)
And yes the coding for things like that is possible; that forum is a phpbb forum.

I'm not sure such a thing should be implemented at frihost; something similar to it might be acceptable, though.

I said make them, like for a contest or something and buy a few of them to give out for prizes. I never said buy in that small statement you quoted. And fund raiser awards have been done on namepros, but I have no idea what fund raisers would be good for here because frih$ isn't worth actual money (or a set amount).
scotty
A system similar to digg could work really well. A thumbs up or thumbs down to posts users make to indicate how you value it and then they are polled and somehow a rating is calculated. Would recognize useful people for their inputs and would give admins more indication on the type of person when dealing with problems?
Ratmaster
scotty wrote:
A system similar to digg could work really well. A thumbs up or thumbs down to posts users make to indicate how you value it and then they are polled and somehow a rating is calculated. Would recognize useful people for their inputs and would give admins more indication on the type of person when dealing with problems?
Which is why I bring up the subject "rep" again...
ocalhoun
^On another site I participate in, they have such a reputation system. They've put code into the system that defeats most of the ways the system can be abused by detecting abnormal activity and penalizing the abuser in reputation rather than letting the abuser accomplish his goals.

Examples:
*A user who marked everyone negatively or everyone positively would not effect others' reputations, and would decrease his own reputation.
*Users who give each other far more positive marks than the norm, and far more than they give other people would both go down in reputation.

It would be a lot of coding for little gain, but this shows that it is at least possible to do it well.
Ratmaster
ocalhoun wrote:
^On another site I participate in, they have such a reputation system. They've put code into the system that defeats most of the ways the system can be abused by detecting abnormal activity and penalizing the abuser in reputation rather than letting the abuser accomplish his goals.

Examples:
*A user who marked everyone negatively or everyone positively would not effect others' reputations, and would decrease his own reputation.
*Users who give each other far more positive marks than the norm, and far more than they give other people would both go down in reputation.

It would be a lot of coding for little gain, but this shows that it is at least possible to do it well.

Did you forget about rep for several different posts at one time like repping several posts by the same person? Or time scales for repping?
ocalhoun
^That is hardly a complete list of the ways in which they prevent abuse, and they don't even publish all the types of abuse they prevent, lest someone figure out one that isn't on the list, and use that. With no list, people have to worry about whether or not their scheme is already known of and prevented.
Ratmaster
ocalhoun wrote:
^That is hardly a complete list of the ways in which they prevent abuse, and they don't even publish all the types of abuse they prevent, lest someone figure out one that isn't on the list, and use that. With no list, people have to worry about whether or not their scheme is already known of and prevented.
Well this is directed for a suggestion, I thought it might be good to suggest in more detail what you want to see. Very Happy
ocalhoun
^I don't necessarily want to see it here. I was just pointing out that it could be done, and done well.

There are only two uses of a reputation system that I can think of:
1: Users can say "Yay! HeHe! My reputation is 95% positive! Dancing"
2: Other users can avoid risky transactions with very low rated users.

One interesting feature would be to have higher reputation members get more powerful votes when rating the reputations of other members.
Another part of the other system I was talking about was that a user's reputation was not visible to anyone until that user has 100 posts. That way, a user will not have a 100% good reputation because of only three good votes.

*Gah; I can't help myself from posting features of a system I don't really want all that badly...*
tidruG
A rep system is something I'm seriously not too excited about.
As for the awards, I'm not against them... let's keep digging till we hit on a good way to implement them.