FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Russi and U.S.A questin

pertra
i met a Person guy and he said Americans were losers was Russia and the U.S.A ever in a war agenst each other i dont rember any thng about U.S.A and Russia ever being at war but does any know if we were? i would relyl apreashate any info about this. or why Russians might not like Americans. some one please fill me in. in a polite way. sorry for my mistakes ime just a slightly dumb American.
HDirtwater
Your friend might have been referring to the cold war, which started in 1945 after the end of WWII, and lasted until 1989 when the USSR went away. The US and Russia were at odds, but never really fought each other directly. In 1962, there was the Cuban Missle Crisis when Russia put nuclear missles into Cuba, but an agreement was reached and they were taken away.

Korea and Vietnam were indirectly wars between the US and Russia (USSR), but nothing globally broke out. The fear of total nuclear war seemed to be the main reason we never got into it with those pinkos...er, I mean our Russian brothers... Razz
nilsmo
As the previous poster said, the United States and Russia were not fighting against each other with weapons of force, because they both had weapons that were too powerful: nuclear bombs that could destroy civilization. However, there was definitely lots of conflict. The two nations (it wasn't called Russia but Soviet Union back then) for example funded wars in other countries to indirectly fight the other nation. Back then, the US and the Soviet Union were the most powerful nations in the world. wikipedia link; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_War
pertra
oh ok thank you. you sound very smart about history. thanks alot.
Mannix
The most important part is due to the economic collapse of the USSR, they, in effect, stopped the arms race, which seemed to continuously spiral towards MAD - Mutually Assured Destruction. (Via Intercontinental Ballistic Missles (ICBMs) armed with nuclear warheads.)

Today, the US and the USSR aren't the only countries with nukes. ...Once, it was the Communists vs. the Democratically Free... ...With major plays occuring in Berlin, Korea and Vietnam. ...Now, there are some sensitive buttons between the 2 former nuclear powers, and a continuing need (due to other countries with nukes) to referbish their nuclear arsenals and support equipment, as well as create better defenses. ...The former USSR doesn't like the US building up a huge defensive system. ...Nor should they. ...Their major military focus was obliteration of the enemy with huge bombs. ...USA was always working on the angles, better defenses, more efficient, precise application of bombs, etc.

...In alot of ways, I can see why they might be a little concerned about the USA seemingly returning to the high-tech, "angles", mindset, but nonetheless, it's necessary for both the US and all countries to do SOME updating. ...Especially in the USSR, where security... ...Is a matter of international concern...

Personally, I really don't like the saber-rattling. ...It seems very immature, except unfortunately, it's being done by the most powerful people in the world. If there really was some sort of arms race, i.e. some reason to think that the USA would be out to conquest, etc. ...using nukes... it might make more sense, but ironically, the USA tends to (although debatably) interviene in the midst of bloodshed, corruption and conquest. That said, I'm really disappointed with Putin's statements that there would be nuclear targets in Europe, should a anti-ballistic missle system be put up over there. ...Especially... ...When they claim to have a way around it... <sigh>

All we can do is pray. I believe the fall of the USSR was largely the product of divine intervention, and a result of prayer. I do not want to see people poor, or hungry, but I also don't want every child to worry about the horrors of nuclear war. ..An arms race is wrong. ...I still hope folks have learned their lessons from the Cold War... ...It was no laughing matter, and very nearly approached the level of nuclear holocaust. -- Several times.
HollyK
Both sides would have lost a direct war. Any conventional war between the two would have escalated into nuclear war. Both arsenals could destroy the other country multiple times over. In doing so this could ensnare multiple otherwise neutral countries to act. Hundreds of millions would perish, IF were were lucky. Otherwise, the count would be in the billions. While it might not be the end of civilization, it would be very devastating. Luckily, we have not ever had any war with them directly. Indirectly, kinda.
sonicsight
let me appoint to you to this correctly. USA won every war and putted their minds to it. they even won to germany and british and etc.... you russians are weak, but you guys dont know how to speak english correctly. but to assure you I live in new york bronx. We Americans are better than russians and East Europe.
HDirtwater
sonicsight wrote:
let me appoint to you to this correctly. USA won every war and putted their minds to it. they even won to germany and british and etc.... you russians are weak, but you guys dont know how to speak english correctly. but to assure you I live in new york bronx. We Americans are better than russians and East Europe.

Question Question Question Question Question

What the @#$! was that? A stupid post by an ignorant poster who obviously doesn't speak English himself. You won't last long here with your losy attitude.
Mannix
HollyK wrote:
Both sides would have lost a direct war. Any conventional war between the two would have escalated into nuclear war. Both arsenals could destroy the other country multiple times over. In doing so this could ensnare multiple otherwise neutral countries to act. Hundreds of millions would perish, IF were were lucky. Otherwise, the count would be in the billions. While it might not be the end of civilization, it would be very devastating. Luckily, we have not ever had any war with them directly. Indirectly, kinda.

Well... ....All sides would have lost. ...We would have poisoned the whole planet for millions of years with radioactive materials. ...Possibly even made the perilously thin crust of the Earth completely unstable. (Look at the skin of an apple sometime. ...The crust of the Earth is thinner than the skin of the apple, proportionally. ...And well... ...We're filled with a nice jello-lava core. ...Let's not rock the boat.)

HDirtwater wrote:
sonicsight wrote:

What the @#$! was that? A stupid post by an ignorant poster who obviously doesn't speak English himself. You won't last long here with your losy attitude.

And that one had about the same amount of substance and spelling consistency as the previous post. <sigh>

...And it was NATO -- USA and Europe -- combined -- who stopped the Cold War. We couldn't have done it without the assistance and sacrifice of our allies. Please don't depreciate their heroism. The folks what wanted to stay above nuclear holocaust won. ...Thanks be to God, and those who helped make it possible.
rshanthakumar
In my opinion the US lost every war it fought after the WWII. At least on the strategic count they lost. Vietnam was a fiasco. The US loss in Vietnam made it to refrain from entering into any other country for the next twenty years. Even in Afganistan they allowed Russians to enter and only supported Al-Qaida (Taliban) to fight on behalf of the US. In Korea, they misjudged their capabilities and the capabilities of the Chinese who defeated them and the US lost its mandate for further fight there.

There are numerous examples. It was never like the Falklands where the British, came, saw, conquered kind of stuff. The US poked its nose where it was not expected and got it busted every time. And the same is happening in Iraq now. Soon in Afghan if they do no stop supporting Pak.

And in most of these defeats the proxy was the soviets. One place where the Americans have revelled in success is in Jerusalem where Israel was the prop for the US and it did the job remarkable, albeit with American support.
Moonspider
rshanthakumar wrote:
There are numerous examples. It was never like the Falklands where the British, came, saw, conquered kind of stuff. The US poked its nose where it was not expected and got it busted every time.

United States successful military operations since World War II:

Grenada
Panama
Gulf War I
Gulf War II (Iraqi army was thuoroughly routed and the nation conquered in a matter of days. What is going on now is a separate conflict that will exist with or without a U.S. and allied presence).

I wouldn't write Afganistan off yet. Besides, like Iraq, the Taliban were routed and the government overthrown in a short amount of time. The conventional wars against Iraq in 2003 and Afghanistan in 2001 were huge victories with very few casualties.

I'd put it this way. The United States has never lost a conventional war. Our problem is fighting Fourth Generation Wars. (Vietnam, the current conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan, Lebanon in 1982, Mogadishu, the Global War on Terror).

And I would not cite Korea as an example of a loss. The war is between the North and the South. The war began when North Korea invaded South Korea. The UN forces led by the United States succeeded in securing South Korea. Conquering North Korea was never an objective of the UN. Thus how can you count it as a loss?

Oh, I'd also mention that we won the Cold War.

Respectfully,
M
poly
They have neverbeen in a direct war with Russia, that much is for sure..
Talk2Tom11
HDirtwater wrote:
sonicsight wrote:

Agreed. Very ignorant post... and person. They really know how to give New York a bad name. If anyone out there was wondering, No, not all of us in New York don't have an education. In fact, there are even some from the Bronx with an education. Of course most of them move out of the Bronx once they get one though.
markrc99
Everybody get an F. Not one poster knows history or current events. The corporate media shapes every single perception expressed in this thread. The evidence linking Islamo-Fascism to the CIA is overwhelming. Our industrialized for-profit war machine reaps huge profits for interests directly tied to the current administration. There is not a single shred of proof that any state or region of the Middle East has gained independence or been grant self-determination. The sectarian violence in Iraq today is being carried out by radical militias, which are actually the military wings of the politcal parties empowered by the U.S.

The U.S. in fact was ulterior force that allowed the small minority Ba'ath Party to seize power. Contact between Saddam and the CIA go back to the late 1950s. The U.S. supported both sides in the Iran-Iraq war and sold Saddam many of the bio-chemical nasties the Bush administration then suggested was a threat to our national security. What complete horseshit! The U.S. destroyed much of Saddam's conventional war machine in '91, only to re-empower him to mercilessly put down Shia and Kurdish opposition factions, which in fact rose against Saddam believing they had U.S. support. Of course, such slaughter is explained away with senseless political jargon that the avg idiot actually thinks is true.

Think about it, under the oppressive regime of Saddam, all opposition dared not challenge his reign. In fact, these militias linked to Chalabi's party, the Al-Dawa party and SCIRI were all exiled and returned, from all places, Iran. ...lol... So, they all feared rising up against Saddam, the brutal oppressor, but boldly engage in senseless violence against America, the liberator. ...lol...

Indeed, now that the world's greatest superpower is there, they've all been afforded the freedom to kill each other, mostly innocent civilians I might add. Further, the senseless violence only justifies greater U.S. occupation, so these factions who want the U.S. out would actually attain their purported interests by ending the violence, eliminating the rationale used by the U.S. to maintain its presence. None of it makes any sense whatsoever, unless, you follow the money. Ah, now this for-profit, manufactured conflict makes perfect sense!
markrc99
The nation state model no longer exists ... It does however, serve the interests of the ruling class to continue to propagate this myth.

State sponsored Terrorism (Islamic Jihad) - Egypt = U.S. client state!
State sponsored Terrorism (Wahabbiism) - Saudi Arabia = U.S. client state!
State sponsored Terrorism ( PLO & now Hamas) - Israel = U.S. client state!
State sponsored Terrorism (KLA) - Kosovo = U.S. client state!
State sponsored Terrorism (al qaeda) - Afghan/Pakistan border region = U.S. client states!!!!!

Same is true of the rebels in Chechnya, the drug cartels based in South America and countless dictatorships!

If you think the US runs around the world promoting democracy you need your damn head examined!
Moonspider
markrc99 wrote:
Everybody get an F. Not one poster knows history or current events.

I personally don't think your delusional, conspiratorial rant warrants a response. However, although I can't speak for anyone else, I know from where I received my history degree and under whom I studied. Had I made such claims as you did above without citing verifiable and defendable sources I would have indeed received the ignominious mark you gave us all.

Respectfully,
M
Talk2Tom11
Moonspider wrote:
markrc99 wrote:
Everybody get an F. Not one poster knows history or current events.

I personally don't think your delusional, conspiratorial rant warrants a response. However, although I can't speak for anyone else, I know from where I received my history degree and under whom I studied. Had I made such claims as you did above without citing verifiable and defendable sources I would have indeed received the ignominious mark you gave us all.

Respectfully,
M

I couldn't have said it better myself!