FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Confused when installing Unbuntu (close)

Flakky
Hi,
I have a Windows Vista PC which runs just perfectly but due all the loads of complains about Vista and the prayers that Unbuntu will overrule Windows drive me crazy and I want to see it myself why Unbuntu is so great.

For this test I want a couple of asnwers to the following questions. How can I make sure that Vista will NOT be removed after installing Unbuntu? How can I make sure that when starting up, I can pick between Vista, Unbuntu and maybe a 3rd OS? Any advices for using Unbuntu?

Thanks for your time.
Handyman
Very easy Very Happy

Quote:
How can I make sure that Vista will NOT be removed after installing Unbuntu?

In the set up just choose to manually set the partitions. Create a / and a swap partition in the free space you have allocated for Ubuntu with a program like partition magic.

Quote:
How can I make sure that when starting up, I can pick between Vista, Unbuntu and maybe a 3rd OS?

The grub boot loader is automaticly installed and works out of the box.

The Ubuntu forums have an answer for pretty much any question.

Good luck!
Flakky
Partitions are like 'splitting' your harddrive right? So I can also install it on my external hardrive right?

Thanks for the reply
Handyman
Yes you can install it on your external drive. The boot loader won't work tho. You will have to switch the active drive in the bios each time you boot to start each OS. to use a boot loader both OS's have to be on the primary Hard drive.
LostOverThere
Yep, just make sure before partitioning you defrag your hard drive. Don't worry, I was pretty scared when I first installed Linux.

Oh, and its Ubuntu. Not Unbuntu. Wink
d3f3nd3r
you will feel the spirit of ubuntu?

you dont have to install it at all, use the livecd!
Flakky
Oops, thanks for correcting me with the name. I am downloading the Livecd right now. Laughing Thanks for the tips
dac_nip
Just install ubuntu on a separate partition. It will automatically detect another operating system and will make you choose which one to boot. But if you're planning to install a third OS, I suggest you do some tweaking. Use your windows vista as the master boot loader which will boot other operating systems. About how to do it, search NLTDR or multiple boot using vista in google. The reason you might want to do this is because when you reinstall your vista, the boot loader of other operating system will be removed..replace by vista solely. that's how selfish windows is Very Happy . I suggest you read more about this.
Flakky
Thanks for the tip, I'll try the without install version first.
falconfx
Hello

Don't be afraid for the Ubuntu installation as it is very simple, even for newbies! You have to boot your PC with the live CD (possibly Feisty 7.04 Wink ) and then launch the Install program that appears on the desktop.

Using the disk partitioner of the installation wizard, you can create two partitions for Ubuntu by resizing that of Vista (I suggest you 75% Windows - 20% Linux - 5% Linux Swap).

After completing the installation, have a look at this page: http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feisty

I'm sure you'll find that page very helpful! Smile

Good luck.
djclue917
Flakky wrote:
Hi,
I have a Windows Vista PC which runs just perfectly but due all the loads of complains about Vista and the prayers that Unbuntu will overrule Windows drive me crazy and I want to see it myself why Unbuntu is so great.

For this test I want a couple of asnwers to the following questions. How can I make sure that Vista will NOT be removed after installing Unbuntu? How can I make sure that when starting up, I can pick between Vista, Unbuntu and maybe a 3rd OS? Any advices for using Unbuntu?

Thanks for your time.

Just to be really really safe, pre-allocate a partition for Ubuntu. With pre-allocation, I mean't creating an ext3 partition for / (read as 'slash root'; or simply 'root'), and a swap partition. The reason for doing this is to prevent any untoward incident that may lead to the unintentional formatting of your NTFS partitions.

As you might have known, NTFS is a proprietary filesystem, unlike ext2, ext3, reiserfs, etc. Because of this, there hasn't been any write support for NTFS partitions until lately, when ntfs-3g came along. However, ntfs-3g is still a "very young" piece of software, as many might have considered it to be. In this light, I doubt that it was even included in the standard Ubuntu install. In short, the installer doesn't have NTFS r/w access, only read-only. Trying to repartition your NTFS partitions might lead to possible data corruption.

Just my two cents...
LostOverThere
Don't let what people are saying scare you.

Its actually very simple.

The easiest ways to do it are:

1) Defrag one of your hard drives. This can be easily done in Windows by going Accessories >> System Tools >> Disk Defragmenter.

2) Next create a partition at the end of the drive you just defraged using a partitioning program. My favourite being Partition Logic (Google it - its free)

3) Finally, start up the Ubuntu CD and once it runs in "Live CD" mode select the "Install" icon on your Ubuntu desktop. Then just follow through the installation and use the partition you just created.

Easy enough, Good Luck. Very Happy
tony
haha; i love this post. ya..its "ubuntu" without the extra 'n' - best wishes! Smile
why6487
Quote:
q1: Hi,

q2:For this test I want a couple of asnwers to the following questions. How can I make sure that Vista will NOT be removed after installing Unbuntu? How can I make sure that when starting up, I can pick between Vista, Unbuntu and maybe a 3rd OS? Any advices for using Unbuntu?

Thanks for your time.

Just to be really really safe, pre-allocate a partition for Ubuntu. With pre-allocation, I mean't creating an ext3 partition for / (read as 'slash root'; or simply 'root'), and a swap partition. The reason for doing this is to prevent any untoward incident that may lead to the unintentional formatting of your NTFS partitions.

As you might have known, NTFS is a proprietary filesystem, unlike ext2, ext3, reiserfs, etc. Because of this, there hasn't been any write support for NTFS partitions until lately, when ntfs-3g came along. However, ntfs-3g is still a "very young" piece of software, as many might have considered it to be. In this light, I doubt that it was even included in the standard Ubuntu install. In short, the installer doesn't have NTFS r/w access, only read-only. Trying to repartition your NTFS partitions might lead to possible data corruption.

Just my two cents...

I say:
This is true. Ubuntu Setup doesn't have access to NTFS volumes! Other Linux disurcutions installers may can.
Flakky
I use NTFS, what should I do?

And thanks again for all the tips!
why6487
Flakky wrote:

You can resize them and install Ubuntu on it.
Flakky
why6487 wrote:
Flakky wrote:

Reformat for short, but I do not wish to loose Vista. I will use the non-install version. Thanks anyone, this can be closed.
why6487
Flakky wrote:
why6487 wrote:
Flakky wrote:

Reformat for short, but I do not wish to loose Vista. I will use the non-install version. Thanks anyone, this can be closed.
I recommend that you install Ubuntu in a ext3 volume.
Animal
Flakky wrote:
I will use the non-install version. Thanks anyone, this can be closed.

-close-