FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Bronte: Wuthering Heights

panic15
Just a simple post to see what you think of this fantasic pre 20th century novel.
McDucque
I normally like the classics... this was just one of those books I couldn't get through.
panic15
Well it a rather large novel. However I feel it is a book everyone should read as I believe it has defined literature. My literature teacher literally masturbates over Heathcliffe.
ddukki
It was a good book, I'll admit, but it was way too drawn out for me. I'm not much into criticizing books, but this one really had me drudging through dialog. Good book nonetheless for skimming through if you're impatient like me. If you want a great and deep involving storyline, this is definitely for you.
TurtleShell
Read it in college--I never really enjoyed it that much. Too dramatic and dark--too much unpleasantness. Like a bad horror movie, that story could implode with its own misery.
panic15
It wasn't all dark. You had the magnificant contrast of Thruscross Grange (metaphor for culture) and the dark Wuthering Heights (nature). Did you notice that both houses have barriers put up. "gaunt thorns" (couldnt remember the rest of the quote but something about stunted growth.)
TurtleShell
panic15 wrote:
It wasn't all dark. You had the magnificant contrast of Thruscross Grange (metaphor for culture) and the dark Wuthering Heights (nature). Did you notice that both houses have barriers put up. "gaunt thorns" (couldnt remember the rest of the quote but something about stunted growth.)

question: did you mean what you said about your teacher and Heathcliff?

I don't remember if I noticed that they were both protected by barriers. I do remember I almost felt like the symbolism was hitting me from all sides.

In what way do you feel that it has defined literature?
twisthigh
Okay, I studied this book in highschool and again in university, at first I must admit I absolutely detested that book, so dark and gloomy and slow, borderline complicated, but once we analysed it, everything fell into place and it wasn't such a dark novel, but in the end it wasn't a favorite of mine.
sondosia
I tried to read it once, but I couldn't understand it at all. I felt like it was well-written, but it was also really difficult. I hope to try reading it again in a few years.

~Mimzy
linangan
I read Wuthering Heights during a flight. How did I forget what a weird and wicked book it is? First an abandoned gypsy child is adopted and eventually falls in love with his adopted sister who marries their neighbour for money and then the gypsy man disappears for three years only to come back and marry the sister of the neighbour just to torture her and her brother and ends up driving his real love insane so she dies after having a child then his own pregnant wife runs away leaving him with his adopted brother's child who he won along with the house by playing poker or something fast forward 17 years and the daughter of one marries her cousin who dies about a week later then she eventually marries her other cousin and both, after years of torture and torment, eventually live happily ever after. What an awesome book!
askurmum
This book is absolutely amazing. About the barriers they don't actually say there are barriers but it is implied. The battle nature vs culture is eminent and is symbolised by Thruscross Grange and Wuthering Heights
Fyrelle
I loved this book. And read it about 5 times already. Mostly as a teenager. Loved the movie too.