FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

3D Rendering programs compared: Blender, Maya...

TerrorBite
I'd like to get myself a decent 3D modeling/rendering program, preferably freeware/open source.

I've tried Blender, but it seems a bit hard to use and there's no documentation. A friend recommended a trial copy of Maya... I'd like to know what software is out there, what it can/can't do, and what YOU think of it.
reddishblue
http://www.blender.org/tutorials-help/ there's a bit of help there, and I too would like to learn Blender, maybe over the holidays, but I wouldn't recemmend using Maya, if you can't handle Blender, don't even try, it's only about fifty times harder to use.
Good luck to you, I will be watching this topic, it interests me too.
Arno v. Lumig
I've used several programs, and I highly recommend Cinema 4D if you want to do some simple things and don't like Blender. Maya and 3Ds Max are great programs, but they can get complicated.
blueray
Actually, blender should not be hard to learn.

As it is most used the sub-division tech.
So, if you are the master of it then, be a experienced blender user should not be an issues.
Magicman
TerrorBite wrote:
I've tried Blender, but it seems a bit hard to use and there's no documentation.

Blender Noob to Pro
Blender definitely has documentation and a large user community but you just need to know where to look.
JayBee
I have tried Maya. I'm not able to create beautiful 3D models but I'm familiar with this software. 3DSmax is completely different, but not as much as blender. Cinema 4D is as easy as it should be, but ...
After that, blender is for me beyond all understanding Very Happy

After Magicman post I have new enthusiasm for learning blender. Wink

Blender is free. Why to pay $7000, or download some warez.

(I have tried free http://www.anim8or.com but it is not so good)
Studio Madcrow
It's not quite the same sort of thing, but I've always liked Bryce, a cool 3D landscape generator. Version 5.5 is now a free download from Download.com, too. Linkage: http://www.download.com/Bryce/3000-6677_4-10696717.html?tag=lst-0-2
Revvion
I have only tried blender so far and once you follow 1 or 2 documents its really easy to do basic stuff. The interface might scare people at first but its not that hard.
djclue917
I use Blender, but not on a periodic or continuous basis. Anyway, the really really steep learning curve of Blender became imminent when I first used it. However, with a lot of help from the Documentation and Video Tutorials (yes, there are a lot of them!), I have been able to somehow learn and do something pretty spectacular with Blender. Of course, I have only learned the basics because that is as far as the video tutorials can help you. Also, I think that once you learn the ropes and get the grips on the "newbie unfriendly" user interface of Blender, you will be able to do a lot of amazing stuff. Just take a look at the Orange open movie project (Elephant's Dream), and now, the upcoming Apricot project. Just my two cents and some experience with Blender.
tony
Studio Madcrow wrote:
It's not quite the same sort of thing, but I've always liked Bryce, a cool 3D landscape generator. Version 5.5 is now a free download from Download.com, too. Linkage: http://www.download.com/Bryce/3000-6677_4-10696717.html?tag=lst-0-2

ya- ive seen great screenshots from this program. but you say its not quite the same sort of thing... i wonder... how is it different from the others??

seems the same to me - hehe- maybe i am still too much the n00b w 3d rendering...