FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

October 2nd ---> International Day of Non-Violence

tempdbs
Hi all,

Indians feel great and vey happy, as the birthday of Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi- the Father of Nation - Our MAHATMA is anounced as 'International Day of Non-Violence' ..

The United Nations General Assembly declared 2nd October (the birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi) as 'International Day of Non-Violence' .

The universal relevance of Gandhiji’s message of non-violence is more important today than ever before since nations across the world continue to grapple with the threat of conflict, violence and terrorism.

This is also an occasion for all of us, the people of India, to re-dedicate ourselves to the ideals and values of Mahatma Gandhi, which shall continue to be our guiding light
coolclay
Gandhi's principles were great, and he was an awesome leader. Unfortunately because we are human, there will always be fighting and wars. There will always be some people that want something that someone else has, or want to control someone else. It is human nature. In my opinion Gandhi tapped into his religion and used his religion to stand firm, and peaceful. But even the most peace loving man gets assassinated by someone who hates him.
adeeengotha
Please use quote tags when copying and pasting wrote:
People normally assume that non-violence is practiced by people who are meek and helpless, but the following Quotes of Gandhi will clarify this misunderstanding:

"Nonviolence in its dynamic condition means conscious suffering. It does not means meek submission to the will of the evil-doer, but it means the putting of one's whole soul against the will of the tyrant. Working under this law of being , it is possible for a single individual to defy the whole might of an unjust empire to save his honor, his religion, his soul and lay the foundation for the empire's fall or its regeneration."

"I do believe that, where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence... I would rather have India resort to arms in order to defend her honour than that she should, in a cowardly manner, become or remain a helpless witness to her own dishonor.

But I believe that nonviolence is infinitely superior to violence, forgiveness is more manly than punishment. Forgiveness adorns a soldier...But abstinence is forgiveness only when there is the power to punish; it is meaningless when it pretends to proceed from a helpless creature....

But I do not believe India to be helpless....I do not believe myself to be a helpless creature....Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.

We do want to drive out the best in the man, but we do not want on that account to emasculate him. And in the process of finding his own status, the beast in him is bound now and again to put up his ugly appearance.

The world is not entirely governed by logic. Life itself involves some kind of violence and we have to choose the path of least violence."

Source: http://www.mkgandhi.org/nonviolence/
coolclay
Excellent quotes, thanks for sharing, I had not heard them before.
hlavco
Hopefully nothing'll go wrong on October 2nd, but it's tough to get the whole world to agree on anything.
Hobbit
Nice, that's my 18th birthday.
Davidgr1200
Wouldn't it be better to have an international day of violence? Then we could have non-violence on all the other days of the year. It's a sad reflection on humanity that we can not keep from violence even on one day a year.
jynxanims
Five bucks says if people know about this, they'll just punch someone in the face for the heck of it.
Vrythramax
I must agree that it is a very admirable suggestion, and action by the UN...but something tells me that not everyone will go along with the idea.

What a pity. Sad
exarkun
Well at least that is nice of them to set a day especially for Gandhi. Some others great historial figures that I have read about only appear in my history textbook and website, they don't even have a day of their own. =p
McDucque
I'm all for non-violence, sign me up. I'll spread the word when conversation runs dry.

Namaste!
tijn01
Great! If only the world had been able to live through more of Gandhi's teachings!
I am just about to start reading a book about him, he is one of the most interesting people in history. Why don't we learn more about him in the west and less about Hitler!