FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Linux on a Playstation 3 Ps3

man_nerss
does anyone here know how to install linux on their Ps3 or have even tried it.

Post question and answers.
brokenadvice
I wouldn't risk it...

...but,

You can buy yellow dog Linux for ps3 here:

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/store/index.php?submit=software&submitimg[software][ydl]=1

Its like $50, not worth it if you ask me.
Arno v. Lumig
I haven't tried it, but heard that it works pretty well. The PS3 has 7 3GHz cores, which makes it one of the fastest computers available. The RAM is quite low (256MB? Or was it 512?). You can use bluetooth mouse and keyboard, so it'll have to feel of a regular computer.
fiendskull9
i beleive FC5 PPC version will install Out of the box

Quote:
I wouldn't risk it...

The PS3 is an open platform (meaning sony made it easy and legal to install other operating systems on the PS3)

so theres no hacks and workarounds like on the xbox

-clay
LostOverThere
Ubuntu, Yellow Dog, Debian, Gentoo and Fedora Core 5 all work on the PS3.

However it may seem a little slow seeing the PS3 only has 256mb of RAM.
snicker
LostOverThere wrote:
Ubuntu, Yellow Dog, Debian, Gentoo and Fedora Core 5 all work on the PS3.

However it may seem a little slow seeing the PS3 only has 256mb of RAM.

I agree... given the processing power of the PS3, it is probably better suited as a server or generic processing station, not as a full blown desktop environment. But if I remember well, Yellow Dog Linux comes with Enlightenment e17 as a desktop environment, which is powerful, eye-candy and low on resources Very Happy

Give it a try!

My 2 cents
qscomputing
If it really has 7*3GHz processors, then it would make a great number-cruncher. 256MB of core(1) is plenty for lightweight desktop work, but you would really need more to anything spectacular. Linux's system requirements are a lot lower than Windows's; you can get a perfectly good Linux system working with as little as 128MB if you choose your apps carefully.

(1): Not sure where "core" meaning processor came from - it's always meant memory, at least in the *nix world.
Srs2388
HOLY **** 7*3GHz processors
I had no idea they put all that in a ps3. I bet it would run ANY OS at perfect speeds.
LostOverThere
No. It only has 256mb of RAM. You can't run Windows XP or Vista. And Linux won't run that smoothly.

Also Sony loses $100 from every PS3 sold. xD
why6487
man_nerss wrote:
does anyone here know how to install linux on their Ps3 or have even tried it.

Post question and answers.

Buy it with the link that brokenadvice gave.
greatfire
the ps3 may have 7 cores, but you wont notice any performance boost unless your running programs that utilize dual coer technology, even then the difference is minor, and btw the ps3 cant use all 7 cores at once. it only hase like 4 or something for doing stuff. 3 are dedicated to other stuff such as game backward compatibilty
Arno v. Lumig
greatfire wrote:
the ps3 may have 7 cores, but you wont notice any performance boost unless your running programs that utilize dual coer technology, even then the difference is minor, and btw the ps3 cant use all 7 cores at once. it only hase like 4 or something for doing stuff. 3 are dedicated to other stuff such as game backward compatibilty

It actually has 8 cores, but "just" 7 get used because the other is for physics. Yellow dog Linux is made for the PS3, so you better believe that all applications are compiled for multi-core compatibility. And even then, 3GHz is a lot.
OS Master
I have installed it, but have never gotten wireless Internet to work. Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait until it is supported. Sad
mehulved
You can have a look at PPC section on gentoo forums. Lots of people have tried to install gentoo on PS3.
Here's one article http://whitesanjuro.googlepages.com/ though it seems a bit outdated.
Also see http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/11148
xbcd
Yellow Dog is free. If you pay then you get support and a manuall but you can download it from the site for free without support. And also they have a install guide on their site. Support is for linux noobs and if you are not willing to give linux a shot without immediate feedback then you should buy but let me tell you. If you buy then i doubt you will use it since you don't have much pacience.
davo
hmm only 256 mg of ram? well now my PS3 doesnt seem that good. but ive only played gaes on it as im slack for installing an operating system on there. Im wondering if its possible to put more ram in the ps3 so you can run vista or xp? if anyone knows that you can please tel me as i couldnt be bother trying to fix my PS3 if it doesnt work Smile
LostOverThere
davo wrote:
hmm only 256 mg of ram? well now my PS3 doesnt seem that good. but ive only played gaes on it as im slack for installing an operating system on there. Im wondering if its possible to put more ram in the ps3 so you can run vista or xp? if anyone knows that you can please tel me as i couldnt be bother trying to fix my PS3 if it doesnt work Smile

I highly wouldn't recommend modifying your PS3. I have a Wii, and Im guessing its the same for the PS3, but as soon as you modify it, its warranty is gone.

Also, why would you want your console to be a computer. A computer is for computer stuff. Consoles are for games (Though I really think Sony tried to make a super computer...not a console)
mehulved
davo wrote:
Im wondering if its possible to put more ram in the ps3 so you can run vista or xp?
I guess it won't work. Because PS2 uses a different architecture, it's not x86 or x86_64. And AFAIK, there is no port of windows to PS3, which is based on PowerPC if I am not wrong.
Studio Madcrow
1. The PS3 has seven cores, but only ONE of them works like a normal CPU core. The rest are whats known as vector processors. Vector processors are at the heart of massive supercomputers and are only really effective when used in large numbers. Linux only really supports the main core (which is basically a PowerPC G5), although there is SOME provision were allowing applications to use the other cores. One possibility is that some of the cores could be used to simulate a 3d card for reasons outlined below

2. PS3 Linux is very limited. No access to any hardware-accelerated video (all you have is a standard VESA framebuffer). The access provided to the BD-ROM is limited as heck. Finally the whole thing is running on top of a hypervisor, which means that you're basically running Linux in what amounts to a highly optimized version of VMware or something. That means that you're getting only 85-90% of the performance you'd get on bare metal AND you lose a bit of RAM.

3. 256MB of RAM isn't all that bad... I get pretty good performance on my P3/866 with 256 MB of RAM, even running KDE...