FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Are there any FreeBASIC programmers out here?

The World is Yours
FreeBASIC and Python are the only languages that I know (and not very well). I was just wondering if anyone else is still in the early stages of learning any of these languages?
why6487
The World is Yours wrote:
FreeBASIC and Python are the only languages that I know (and not very well). I was just wondering if anyone else is still in the early stages of learning any of these languages?

I'm still learning FreeBASIC but it dumps on me. Now I just program for Pascal...
The World is Yours
I've never tried Pascal. I'm alright with FreeBASIC, I can do the very basics like declare functions/subfunctions, arrays (single dimension, and 2 dimensional arrays), and load data into them with 'Read' and 'Data' functions, loops (for, while, do), etc....
qscomputing
I've used FreeBasic. It's actually pretty good, it can do (almost) anything that C can do, but the syntax is Basic. If the Basic syntax does not put you off, then it is good.
virre
Well when I was 13, 14 I think we wrote things in Basic dialects...

Did one, but that was in 1st Basic now that I think about it, that changed any text string in any type of file... That was, hum, intresting...

But really Basic is bad for you... really... (and so is Pascal btw....)
Arnie
Yeah, I've seen people die from Basic. It's very bad for you. Brick wall
The World is Yours
qscomputing wrote:
I've used FreeBasic. It's actually pretty good, it can do (almost) anything that C can do, but the syntax is Basic. If the Basic syntax does not put you off, then it is good.

I agree. FreeBASIC is the most complete dialect of basic, and you can include C libraries in you programs! I think the syntax is great and easy to use, kinda like Python syntax. FreeBASIC was my first language. I tried C after that, but I couldn't get the hang of the input/output functions. Seeing as how that's a very important part of programming...... Why is it so difficult? Although I wish I had a cross-compiler, so I could create win32 executables, but oh well.... The world is just gonna have to catch up with the Linux age Wink .
simp
Why do some people say that Basic is so bad, and how do you die from using it (aside from all night coding marathons)?
MrBlueSky
simp wrote:
Why do some people say that Basic is so bad, and how do you die from using it (aside from all night coding marathons)?

The famous computer scientist Edsgar Dijkstra once said:

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. (*)

Too bad he didn't explain why. I personally don't see why BASIC should be that bad.

(*) Source: "How do we tell truths that might hurt?", http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/EWD/transcriptions/EWD04xx/EWD498.html