FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

what happened to humanity??

The World is Yours
How has humanity as a whole digressed so much over the last 100 years? With the exception of very few places in the world, you are better off not meeting anybody because, greed has taken over more peoples goals in life to where they only care about their own gain! Sad

I live in America. For the most part, if I was dying on the side of the road, then I would just die there. Why have we let greed throw away trust?? Humanity works better as a whole, just as, people work better in teams. A team doesn't work if every member is only in it for their own personal gain Confused

There are many organizations out there for world peace. Do they stand a chance? Are they just wasting their time trying? You have to try, otherwise it won't happen (you can't win the lottery without a ticket).

The purpose of starting this thread is to get opinions on whether or not anyone thinks there is a reason for concern, and do we stand a chance?? Question
missdixy
I think it has to do a lot with the way people live live so...quickly now. This is possible because of new technology and how easy it is for us to get things now (food, whatever.) We've lost the meaning of hard work for everyday things and thus have lost the appreciation for them. Along with this, we've lost that time of reflection that often helps people feel deep and more in touch with the world around them.
The World is Yours
Very well said. I agree on just about everything Smile I think technology has alot to do with it. As technology progresses, more conveniences = less work. So, all in all = laziness. We need technology though:?. Also, we are living our lives more quickly, we have been taught to get as much as we can as fast as we can. Somewhere in there we have figured that the easiest way to get everything, is the best!! More people are looking to become entertainers and musicians than be employed in any kind of physical labor job (someone's gotta do it) Cool. Instead of it being art, actors/actresses etc... look at it as a job.

Ok, with that been said, I also can't live without technology, nor do I want some back-breaking physical labor job. So, where does this leave us.... Embarassed
missdixy
The World is Yours wrote:
Ok, with that been said, I also can't live without technology, nor do I want some back-breaking physical labor job. So, where does this leave us.... Embarassed

I don't know. I mean, we can use technology to its fullest and not have physical-labor jobs and still leave time for reflection and for just...taking it slowly sometimes. The mere fact that there are people like us out there who realize that something is wrong with humanity and who can at least try to live an aware life means there is some sort of hope. Unfortunately, I don't know a way to awaken this in people.
The World is Yours
I agree. That's the whole reason I started this thread, just because I wanted to see if anyone else shared in my opinion. I am really friendly and easy to get along with, but have been finding myself with less want for "social interaction" i guess you would call it, because It seems that everyone i meet is either full of crap, or so self-centered that they never get sick of hearing their own voice!!
missdixy
I agree. That's the whole reason I started this thread, just because I wanted to see if anyone else shared in my opinion. I am really friendly and easy to get along with, but have been finding myself with less want for "social interaction" i guess you would call it, because It seems that everyone i meet is either full of crap, or so self-centered that they never get sick of hearing their own voice!!

Yeah, it's really hard to find someone who will listen...really listen, instead of (as Chuck Palahniuk put it) "just waiting for their turn to speak."

I know sometimes it may seem as if there are no people out there who are trying to and/or have let go of that self-centered attitude that many people in American seem to have, but there is hope! We do exist. Very Happy
The World is Yours
Yes that's what I was trying to say. That's funny you quoted Chuck Palahniuk, he is pretty down to earth (although I've only read two of his books so far: Survivor, and Choke). Also, thanks for your positive responses. I was expecting alot of ignorant replies but instead got jsut what I was hoping for, someone who agrees Cool . Already, from your replies, I consider your opinion more competent than people I have known for years. It seems that you can see past the surface and that proves to me (like my opinion matters) that you are not shallow. I honestly don't think we as humanity stand a chance but....."it's always darkest before dawn".
PatTheGreat42
Well, good sir, I hereby charge you with changing things.

It's a noble quest, indeed, but I believe in you.

Get some friends and make some new ones; band together to form a union capable of bringing humanity back from the brink and into everyone's life every day.

I charge you with getting people to help that dying man on the side of the road.

I charge you with getting people to help that little old lady across the street.

I charge you with getting people to return a wallet they found without taking out all the cash first.

I charge you, good sir, with changing the world.

Good luck.
The World is Yours
With that, good sir, I charge you as my first recruit. You obviously want to see the changes also, so I guess we are one step closer Smile
achowles
It's gone from one kind of bad to another. Humanity has never been perfect.

On the bright side now, we are far less ignorant, care more about the world around us, both in terms of the environment and other cultures. We're less racist on the whole and what racism there is tends to be less extreme. We care more about those who are worse off than ourselves too.

But that's exactly it, we're less ignorant now. That means we know about all the bad things that go on in the world and are more prone to losing sight of the good. Things aren't exactly better now though. As the nature of society changes we face new problems. So while we've done a lot to address age old concerns, we're now faced with a barrage of new ones.

Also, I think that people tend to be far less caring towards one another when we're overpopulated. Maybe that's an instinctive thing, that we're more keen to preserve human life when there's less of it. When there are too many, it becomes survival of the fittest.
silverdown
Well like some say " Money talks" if you got money you can get any type of service or goods you desire. Just look at serial killers how do you think they started? People paid them to kill so they didn't get in trouble. Drugs now i'm not an expert on this topic but I really wanna smack the person who develop it in the first place. Even though it was meant for medical reasons i still wanna smack him
blackheart
I don't believe society has digressed, I just think we're more aware of negative happenings due a more technologically advanced media. (We hear about things now as they happen, not the next week after neccessary postage etc).

We're also more aware of what affects our current situation, and those that make it worse or choose not to help.

There was world poverty 100 years ago, we just didn't know that we weren't helping because we weren't - as a society - openly aware of it's presence.

Then again, I live in Australia and our capitalism is a little more market-share laisser-faire than capitalist. We have safety nets, concessions, the dole, shelters, etc. (And our country a lot younger).

I wouldn't know from first hand experience the situation in the states, but from my understanding it's a little... a lot... more capitalistic, in an every-man-for-himself kind of way.

I believe it's important to work for what you get out of life, and that the amount of work and personal risk should be awarded accordingly, how-ever in that it is hugely important that every individual is born on a level playing field. The same education, the same opportunities. The same expectation and degree of help when troubles occur extraneously.

And, after all that, I'm not saying the world isn't in complete economic inbalance... just that things aren't worse, they've always been injust.
The World is Yours
Quote:
I wouldn't know from first hand experience the situation in the states

Also, I haven't been to any other countries outside of North America (U.S.A., Mexico, Canada) so most of my experiences are based in U.S..

Quote:
hugely important that every individual is born on a level playing field. The same education, the same opportunities. The same expectation and degree of help when troubles occur extraneously.

This is also very true. That's the problem is if everyone had the same education, who would pick "trash person" as their career of choice? So, I guess the cold reality is that, we need the balance. The good with the bad, the rich with the poor, the trash people with the presidents. I guess it will always be, we will only have what we are strong enough to keep Confused . Pretty sad.
blackheart

This is also very true. That's the problem is if everyone had the same education, who would pick "trash person" as their career of choice? So, I guess the cold reality is that, we need the balance. The good with the bad, the rich with the poor, the trash people with the presidents. I guess it will always be, we will only have what we are strong enough to keep Confused . Pretty sad.

Well, no-one would choose garbage man as their career choice, but some people would work harder than others, be naturally more able than others, etcetera, etcetera.

Standing on the workforce (hierachy) would be based purely on people's work attitude, wether they bothered in school... personal merits. Rather than where they were born into.

I don't have a problem with there being the rich and the poor, as long as everyone's born with the same chance of things going either way. (Poor meaning relatively poor... globally, poverty should be stricken from the record).

Now it's a mix, where people who are born in one circumstance, grow up not expecting any more or less, and so only try so much as they are conditioned to believe acceptable. Only shoot as high, or as low, as everyone around them has before.
The World is Yours
I'm afraid I am not intelligent enough to form a response to that Shocked I agree with you completely. But in a perfect world........?? Rolling Eyes
blackheart
I'm afraid I am not intelligent enough to form a response to that Shocked I agree with you completely. But in a perfect world........?? Rolling Eyes

Oh no, you're perfectly intelligent. The world will never be a perfect place, how-ever we can strive for it.

Like you said, can't win the lottery without a ticket.
tijn01
Yes there are a lot of problems in the world! All we can do is believe and have hope that everything is a journey to change and peace. If you don't you just become angry and cynical.
AND if we all live how we think is right and good and peaceful then eventually bad will die out..... I HOPE!!!!
Zaini711
That's human nature. We're more concern for our own survival. It's in our blood since day 1. It is not that we don't care about other people but our own affair is more important than others. Hence, humanity take a step back.
furtasacra
missdixy wrote:
I think it has to do a lot with the way people live live so...quickly now. This is possible because of new technology and how easy it is for us to get things now (food, whatever.) We've lost the meaning of hard work for everyday things and thus have lost the appreciation for them. Along with this, we've lost that time of reflection that often helps people feel deep and more in touch with the world around them.

I agree.

Even though people are interconnected more than ever before, and more quickly and easily, they are also at the same time rather alienated from one another. It seems personal connections mean less when you have several hundred of them with people you've never actually met face-to-face.

Also, people do seem less in touch with the world around them, in some ways, and I think that may be partly due to the fact that so many people no longer have to raise their own food, make their own clothing, build their own homes, and so forth. Things mean more to you if you have to sweat instead of just handing somebody bits of paper, or a little rectangle of plastic for them.

That's the strange thing about the gross materialism in the U.S., people want stuff, stuff, and more stuff, but they will cheerfully dump it in a landfill as soon as they see something bigger and shinier.

This is depressing, I think I'll go weed my garden now.
Smile
bartdou
it's normal phenomenon, and it will be more prevalent over time, because this world is focing people to behave like this, look at what our world, our earth is becoming now, globle warming, the deteriorating environment, the drawing near war, the continuing increase in population numbers and the continuing decrease in natural resource, these all make people feel crisis of living so they have only to do thing for their own gains, they do not have enough energy to help others, this is creatures' istinct, we can't blame it.
this problem should be solved by the mankind together, or will go to perdition!
eday2010
How has humanity as a whole digressed so much over the last 100 years? With the exception of very few places in the world, you are better off not meeting anybody because, greed has taken over more peoples goals in life to where they only care about their own gain! Sad

I live in America. For the most part, if I was dying on the side of the road, then I would just die there. Why have we let greed throw away trust?? Humanity works better as a whole, just as, people work better in teams. A team doesn't work if every member is only in it for their own personal gain Confused

There are many organizations out there for world peace. Do they stand a chance? Are they just wasting their time trying? You have to try, otherwise it won't happen (you can't win the lottery without a ticket).

The purpose of starting this thread is to get opinions on whether or not anyone thinks there is a reason for concern, and do we stand a chance?? Question

First off, I think you are exaggerating a bit. I hear lots of stories of people helping others in need.

Secondly, things are more "humane" now than in centuries past, at least in the Western World. We have legal systems and groups and governments that look out for the rights of individuals.

These organizations out there for world peace are wasting their time. Humans have been fighting each other since the dawn of time. There have been more years spent in recorded history fighting than there have been of peace. As long as there are large numbers of peoples, and many different ways of lives and cultures, there will be no world peace.

World peace will come when there is only one human being left on Earth.
frozenhead
[opinion]I think, humanity failed and digressed in a context where hard work, word of honor and trust don't have any sense at all for most of us living in this world. Though, society still and will be not digressed if only each and every people of this world would have a heart caring for other people even if you are not related, I mean blood or family related.

As what you guys said, I agree this world can't be a perfect world as we want to be for as long as there are different norms, beliefs, ideas and all that.

We are in this world because we are living to look forward, not backwards, that's why technology is advancing and people might forgot how good values are important within them or for us human beings rather but anyway it's good reading this thread and nice to know a guy like you and like other's out there realize this problem. Wink[/opinion]

** Sorry for my English if there are some topographical errors in it. Not my native language ** Very Happy
furtasacra
frozenhead wrote:
[opinion]I think, humanity failed and digressed in a context where hard work, word of honor and trust don't have any sense at all for most of us living in this world. Though, society still and will be not digressed if only each and every people of this world would have a heart caring for other people even if you are not related, I mean blood or family related.

As what you guys said, I agree this world can't be a perfect world as we want to be for as long as there are different norms, beliefs, ideas and all that.

We are in this world because we are living to look forward, not backwards, that's why technology is advancing and people might forgot how good values are important within them or for us human beings rather but anyway it's good reading this thread and nice to know a guy like you and like other's out there realize this problem. Wink[/opinion]

** Sorry for my English if there are some topographical errors in it. Not my native language ** Very Happy

Topographical means about a map, I think you meant typographical Smile English is SUCH a weird language. One letter wrong and it changes the whole meaning of a sentence. That made me chuckle a bit. Not in a mean way, it's just funny.

Also, digress means to to wander off into a somewhat related but irrelevant topic, and I honestly have no idea what you actually meant there.

Don't feel bad, though, I'll give you an example of digressing right now.

A friend of mine told me a funny story about a trip to Barcelona, Spain... she spoke Cuban/American Spanish. She had made a new friend, and while they were walking around town, she spotted a familiar-looking pastry in a coffee shop window. She loudly exclaimed that she want to eat a ****** and her friend was horrified, because the Cuban phrase she used was apparently a rather nasty slang term for vagina, in Spain.

I can not for the life of me remember the name of the thing right now, but the item she was referring to is a cream filled bun with a slit across the top, drenched in honey and sprinkled with toasted shredded coconut... if you use a little imagination, it does rather look like a hairy you-know-what.

Poor Caroline wasn't thinking that, all she wanted wanted was a cup of coffee and a sticky bun, but her new buddy thought she was a crazy lesbian until they straightened it out and laughed themselves silly.

I do actually have a point though. I think most people really do mean well, most of the time, but minor errors in communication can cause big problems, and until politicians (and other people) learn how to laugh and forgive each other for accidentally saying something stupid that they don't really mean, we're all in danger.
tidruG
Society hasn't really disintegrated as much as some of us would like to believe (rather, would like not to believe). I read/see/hear accounts of "good samaritans" a lot. Definitely not as much as I get to hear about all the negative things happening around me. Part of the reason for this is because, as blackheart said, the media tends to focus on giving us news that we can gossip about, news that shocks us or scandalizes us. Take an example of 2 stories:

Story 1:
good samaritan jumps into a flood to save someone.
The media creates a hero out of the man. His face is flashed all over the TV for 2 days and his interviews are taken in leading newspapers for upto 4-5 days. (a little bit of an exagerration of course). People everywhere are like "God bless that man", and "Things like this renew my faith in humanity"... after talking about this for days, people get bored of it. There's nothing more to say.

Story 2:
man caught raping/killing a child.
The media creates a scandal. His face is flashed all over TV for days, each day something new coming up about the man's background. Day 1: the crime is reported, Day 2: the media digs deep to find that this is not his first victim, Day 3: they interview his family, friends, etc etc, Day 4: you have experts on psychology/psychiatry talking about psychos like this, Day 5: debates about whether we're safe in our own homes, debates about how our modern lifestyles keep our children away from us for prolonged perios, etc etc. With such a negative thing happening, you have people discussing what should be done to this man for punishment. Politicians start rallying for and against capital punishment. Experts advise you on home safety (instilling fear in you in the process)... this madness goes on until the next big shocking scandal comes along. Vicarious.

Secondly, as missdixy said, lives are faster now. When was the last time you could just go to the terrace, lie under the stars with all the lights off and listen to your favourite music? (Are you asking what this has to do with social disintegration? Well, if you have no time even to do some of the things you love, how can you find the time to do something for other people?). I'd love to get involved with a NGO and help get rid of poverty in my country, but I'm away from home at college effective from 0730 to 1845. I come home totally fagged out (by "fagged out", I mean "tired") with work to finish up for the next day in college, and chores to run for my parents, etc etc.

Quote:
Secondly, things are more "humane" now than in centuries past, at least in the Western World. We have legal systems and groups and governments that look out for the rights of individuals.
I agree with you here.

Quote:
These organizations out there for world peace are wasting their time.
Here, I have to disagree with you. It's true that humans have been fighting each other since time immemorial, and will probably continue to do so. (Un)fortunately, people have freedom of choice, but not enough open-mindedness to let others have theirs. We want everything to run one way - our way. It's basically childish psychology. When we were kids, we used to say "My daddy strongest", and now that we've grown up, we say "My God is better than yours" or "My skin colour is prettier than yours", and then we fight over it.
However, these organizations, while they may not be able to create total world peace, are able to at least convince some people that violence is not the answer (at least not always). If something works for the better of even 5% of the world population, I'd rather have that thing working than not have it at all.

Quote:
The purpose of starting this thread is to get opinions on whether or not anyone thinks there is a reason for concern, and do we stand a chance?
No, I don't think there's cause for concern yet. God forbid a war breaks out somewhere, and then it could be a cause for concern. As for "do we stand a chance?" - for world peace? I don't think so.
missdixy
furtasacra wrote:
missdixy wrote:

I agree.

Even though people are interconnected more than ever before, and more quickly and easily, they are also at the same time rather alienated from one another. It seems personal connections mean less when you have several hundred of them with people you've never actually met face-to-face.

Also, people do seem less in touch with the world around them, in some ways, and I think that may be partly due to the fact that so many people no longer have to raise their own food, make their own clothing, build their own homes, and so forth. Things mean more to you if you have to sweat instead of just handing somebody bits of paper, or a little rectangle of plastic for them.

That's the strange thing about the gross materialism in the U.S., people want stuff, stuff, and more stuff, but they will cheerfully dump it in a landfill as soon as they see something bigger and shinier.

This is depressing, I think I'll go weed my garden now.
Smile

Aw, you made my day. It's really nice knowing that other people are aware of this. I like you SmileSmile
{name here}

It's called living in a free market enterprise, where it's every man for himself to gain profit. It's not against human nature to do this, it's just against logic.
Quote:

America is not a team. America is not collectionist. Many people have that every man for themself mentality. To illustrate using another situation the mentality here is not "let me help you find a job " it's "get a job, slacker".

Quote:

Frankly, they are wasting their time because humanity has been and always will be crooked. We are not perfect creatures - we are not machines that dictate everything based on pure logic - we have emotions of jealousy, lust, and greed that will get in the way. On the other hand, without these emotions, we would never drive ourselves to go beyond what we have.

We were just as bad in the past as we are today: New things challenging old, firmly established things = shunning, punishment, et cetera. In addition we've added greed because we have nothing better to do anymore - in the past we had little time to ourselves. Today we can sit here and ponder humanity and wonder about money.