FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Frihost Radio

rvec
The idea came up on the irc chat. I want to know if there are people who would listen to a frihost radio station. And if they would what music would you like to hear. For more info join the irc chat.

I have a shoutcast server and am streaming to it with sam broadcaster. But if someone else has a server with bandwidth please contact me. I have only 60KBps.
McDucque
I would give it a shot once, but as soon as I heard two stupid things in a row, i'd have to swear off it.
m-productions
This seems like it could be a good idea, however, im one for rock music..and thats it.. cant stand rap or any of that other crap... best thing to do is have it divided into times...different times for different areas of music.
McDucque
Yes, grouping would be awesome, maybe even some show-type junk...
You can do dj-type stuff... someone asked me to do that once, I didnt know anything about it but they claimed it to be easy.
rvec
I think m-productions has a good idea. I also don't realy like most rap :-& .

Maybe something like rap Monday and rock Tuesday.

And I think most listeners are like McDucque, so at least an hour of the same kind of music. The maybe change if there aren't much listeners or songs left.
m-productions
what about having more than one host, differnt people have differnet music collections, and might better suit one group over another host... just another suggestion ..

and i dont know how mcducque can have songs he dosnt like... he has some random and crapy songs >>
McDucque
m-productions wrote:
what about having more than one host, differnt people have differnet music collections, and might better suit one group over another host... just another suggestion ..

and i dont know how mcducque can have songs he dosnt like... he has some random and crapy songs >>

Yeah, my car is basically a radio station enough as it is...

But the multiple hosts thing is what I was getting at basically.
Vrythramax
This may be a good idea for some users, but for myself I disconnected my soundcard as I didn't have any use for it.

@rvec

In order to answer questions in the IRC channel you must first actually be active in the channel...not just lurk Wink
Donutey
I would, if it was relavent to FriHost, ie with adverts and news etc. I wouldn't really care if it was just a couple people's music collections without any thing else FriHost related.
hack_man_
Ah, but what about copyright? That would be an issue.

The radio ads idea would be good, a good way fro FriHost to make a little extra disposable income...
Jaan
Frihost is very very stingy and strict with copyright/piracy/illegality issues from my experience. I don't think this would be in the allow list. PM Bondings and let him decide. I'd listen though. Maybe a better idea would be a daily/weekly podcast?
Azmo
I got my online radio that I'm listening too, doubt that I would listen to thisone, unless it was doing something good for Frihost, if Frihost where earning some cash on it, I would have it up, muted, all the time.. just to have it active and helping out Smile
m-productions
Jaan wrote:
Frihost is very very stingy and strict with copyright/piracy/illegality issues from my experience. I don't think this would be in the allow list. PM Bondings and let him decide. I'd listen though. Maybe a better idea would be a daily/weekly podcast?

first off, the music wouldn't be hosted on this site, so the copyrighted music on this site wouldn't be a problem.

needless to say, im sure enough people would listen to it.
rvec
the copyright would be a problem if it is a official thing but i don't think that would happen until frihost has complete control over it.

And about different host, i think we have to if we want it to be up a lot. 1 Man can not keep streaming music 24/7. He has to do other things.

And ads are possible, I'll try to find out more about that.
James007
For broadcasting music, you need to pay. (I presume).
From wikipedia, music licensing:
Quote:
In a nutshell: If you are playing music in so that people outside of your close, immediate area can hear it, you're broadcasting, and by law you are required to keep track of what you play and pay for it. This is equally true of non-profit organizations, live music bars, bars or clubs that feature pre-recorded music, bookstores that play music, coffee shops that play music, roller-skate rinks, podcasts...anyone.
rvec
depends on the country law. I'll check on some country's I am sure we can find a server in a country where it's legal. I think Sweden wouldn't mind, but I am not sure.

Edit: since 2005 sweden does mind.
soulman
Good idea, but it need a lot of work to make the project legal
Helios
I wouldn't listen to it, because of my different music taste.
rvec
@soulman
I am afraid so. Maybe we shouldn't try...

@Helios
Dark metal Wednesday Smile
Vrythramax
rvec wrote:
@soulman

@Helios

Make it Wed. and Sat. and I'll sign up too!
Keran
Having a frihost radio would be a good idea, so many people use the forums, so there would be lots of listeners.
I would surely listen to it and would bring friends too.
But not during "Dark metal wednesday" ;p
rvec
Vrythramax wrote:
rvec wrote:
@soulman

@Helios

Make it Wed. and Sat. and I'll sign up too!

I think sat and fri should be reserved for party night Cool

And about the legal issue. I don't think we can make it 100% legal but as long as we keep it a frihost only station i don't think we'll be sued. In the EU (where I live) a small internet radio station like this won't get trouble. If we start making money out of it we should cover our back, but for now we'll be fine.
Crazy_Canuck
rvec wrote:
... And about the legal issue. I don't think we can make it 100% legal but as long as we keep it a frihost only station i don't think we'll be sued. In the EU (where I live) a small internet radio station like this won't get trouble. If we start making money out of it we should cover our back, but for now we'll be fine.

Is there such a thing as 99% legal? or 43.6% legal? Isn't that like being a little bit pregnant?

I mean, I'm just sayin' ...
Vrythramax
Crazy_Canuck wrote:
Is there such a thing as 99% legal? or 43.6% legal? Isn't that like being a little bit pregnant?

hmm...there's a valid point here...can anything be a little bit legal?
m-productions
well it can be only 1% as bad.. but still 100% illegal, but as he said, noone will care, on deivantart, in the #flashers channel they have flashers radio.. its just a small thing for the group of flash users that use that channel, tons of groups like this have their own little radio

Woot im a senior frihoster =)-
rvec
Crazy_Canuck wrote:
rvec wrote:
... And about the legal issue. I don't think we can make it 100% legal but as long as we keep it a frihost only station i don't think we'll be sued. In the EU (where I live) a small internet radio station like this won't get trouble. If we start making money out of it we should cover our back, but for now we'll be fine.

I meant we can make it 100% legal by buying all the tracks and keeping all the copyright laws in mind.

If you buy 1 out of 2 songs i think you are 50% legal Smile.

That's still illegal but you won't get sued as fast as 0% legal.

Oh forget it, lets just stick to legal and illegal.
m-productions
rofl! the problem is, it dosnt matter if you own them or not. they can all be kazaa download or w/e, they are going to sue for the fact that you arnt paying the (its like $0.003 per listener) price. however, like it was said.. noones gana care for something like this, they care for big stations that are going to be making money because of the songs they are playing.
Aless
Sounds like a good idea, but might be difficult to coordinate everyone's diverse tastes in music.
Jaan
That's why we'll hopefully have a request line, but I guess you guys will probably have separate playlists catering to different genres each day/hour/w,e. I would much rather prefer a weekly podcast mixed by a DJ to a WinAmp crossfaded playlist (that's how I'm guessing you're running it???). Are you just going to use playlists?
McDucque
The laziness just kicked into high gear when I read all the stuff about the legality...

"Oh....then uhm...yeah, just forget it"

I'd still like a chance to host sometime if it ever goes down, I have horrible taste in music ^_^
rvec
I don't think we should bother about this legal thing.

And I'll explain how I was planing on making the stream.

different DJ's will stream, 1 at a time. If the DJ uses SAM instead of winamp he can make a webpage where users can request songs and see the whole songlist.
the stream will go to a server with shoutcast installed (2 files, 1 config and 1 program), the server has a password wich has to be given in order to get your stream in there.
The server will create a stream available for users. And a simple webpage where you can see what song is playing, the last 10 played songs and some other statistics.

A dj can also use winamp with a plugin to stream but he wont have a webpage that way.

The DJ can always choose how he will play the songs (requests, playlist, own choices).

I am still working on my sam webpage, it should be easy to get it up but I am having a bit of trouble. I already got the stream working on my own server, and I will give a link when I am done with the sam page.

Edit:
http://www.bierkip.nl/frih/radio
anyone wants to make a logo?

Edit2: @#$ I just let sam scan some game direcory and I am having a hard time removing all those "gunshot1.mp3" files.

Edit 3: erased songlist, made a music folder and a software folder and rescanned the music folder.
tidruG
I'm still worried about the "legal" aspect of things. I really don't think this would be legally allowed. You are not allowed to publicly broadcast songs unless you have permission from the labels.

Secondly, it would have to be unofficial because we can't really keep an eye on things and I suppose we won't really have control over the station.

Finally, my suggestion is this... instead of broadcasting songs that you KNOW will not be allowed legally, why don't you broadcast the songs by the many many amateur or upcoming bands that are hosting their bands' websites on Frihost. There are so many MP3 permission requests. I'm sure this would be good for the bands as they get exposure.

If you would still like to risk playing mainstream songs (which would probably be illegal), then I don't think Frihost can have anything to do with this channel. However, what I've said isn't the final word. Keep trying to find a way that's 100% legal, and I guarantee you I will support (and probably, Frihost will too)
rvec
I don't think they even think about suing a station with less than 1000 listeners. And I don't think we'll make 20. Even if they would the process of suing us would cost more than the fines we had to pay.

I knew it couldn't be official. Said that before.

And that IS a good idea. But we need to get all the bands to give a link or mail an album. Any bandmember reading this please pm me.

Also people who want commercials pm me. I think we can do something with frih$ and let someone at the marketplace make a logo and a site.

Edit: I am going to post a topic in the music forum. More chances of finding bandmembers there I think.
pampoon
To help with the amateur bands, when you go on MySpace under music, there are tons of unsigned bands that will willingly allow us to use their music so they can spread the word about their music. Plus, since MySpace is so big, there would be many many variations of music from all over the world.

Just a suggestion...

God bless Wink ,
Pampoon
rvec
I don't really care if the music is legal or illegal.
By playing Frihost bands we give Frihost something extra. And give bands an extra reason to get a Frihost account. But I don't know why we should play other free music (or it should be good).

I think we should just play good music and not think about legal and illegal.
McDucque
Yes, I very much agree, this is turning into a bunch of complicated junk with all this division amongst those who are worried about the legality of it.

Question to those people... have you downloaded anything ever? exactly.

You're already doing illegal things, whats one more to the pile...

If I wanted to hear crappy myspace bands, I'd just roam through crappy myspaces. At least I'd get to laugh at their pictures, too.
rvec
i don't think everyone has downloaded something illegal once. But I did and I don't think this radio station would be noticed by copyright organisations.

On winamp you can find a lot of tv stations. They stream movies which are still in the bios. Some of those exist over a year and have over 50 viewers.

I don't think copyright organisations are a problem.
froginabox
rvec, I sent you a PM. You can play my band's music royalty free Very Happy

Anyways, to run an internet radio station, you do need to get in contact with Sound Exchange and pay royalties... not fun. Best bet if you want to do it completely legally is to go through Live365 or something like that, which pays the royalties FOR you. If you run through Live365, you do have to put up with their ads in their player, and it is a paid service. However, it is perfectly legal.

I would suspect that it would also save your site from being down after a few days. Running streaming applications is huge on bandwidth.

Oh, and if you needed voiceovers or other stuff, I have my own radio show at school, I'd be happy to record liners, promos, etc.
rvec
thx reading the pm in a minute.

And i read about that.
<25 users would cost me 9,95 per month. If anyone would want to donate that i would buy it. Until then I'll go illegal. Don't forget I am Dutch, I have a lot of privacy, and they'll send 10 letters before they sue me.

I know that, but I am not afraid for my site. It's on my own server and as long as it does not use over 40kbps 24/7 I am ok with it.

I'll keep that in mind. Thank you for the offer.
Jaan
dude, who cares about the legality. he's hosting it, and it's his choice. And have you been to other forums lately? How many of them have their own radio station? And about 99% of the time it is 'illegal'. Many laws our outdated. And it also depends what laws there are in his country. So, it doesn't concern us.

Would it support Icecast?
rvec
no, shoutcast
but I made an .asx file for wmp users.
Winamp should also be able to play those and most other players should work with it. By default i only had a .pls file for winamp, it's still there but I don't think we need it so there is no link.

And is has been up yesterday, and I think it will be up today again. It's now 7:26 here, check again in 7 hours. Or to be sure, go to the irc chat, I'll respond if the radio is up.

Embarassed in the .asx file I put the link to the radio. But insted of http://www.bierkip.nl:8080 I wrote http://www.bierkip:8088.
So only if you had that link you could listen. The asx. file didn't work.
I fixed it now. But there is no stream atm.

Edit: Streaming ATM!
http://www.bierip.nl/frih/radio for more info!

Edit2: I on http://www.bierip.nl/frih/radio you can see the current playing song and request a song from the playlist (currently 1112 songs).
If you have a request not on the list please pm me or drop by on the IRC chat (link on the radio site and in my sig).
tribe
Perhaps FriHost should start their own Internet Radio Station with us, their members having internet radio stations. For instance: Those who would want their own weekly show or daily show could hook up to the Frihost server and broadcast to the nation worldwide.

And considering you have hundreds or thousands of users, I bet you could really come close to getting 24/7 programming; esp. since you have so many members in Asia and Europe.

Anyone like that idea, I'm sorry if someone else posted it in this thread already, I just read the first few posts!

Thanks
rvec
This is not possible becouse frihost would not have any control about what would be streamed.

And if we get a lot of streamers we might start something new on a good server but I think that'll be for a future far away.
tribe
rvec wrote:
This is not possible becouse frihost would not have any control about what would be streamed.

And if we get a lot of streamers we might start something new on a good server but I think that'll be for a future far away.

They'd be in charge of the stream of course. Those parties interested in a show will answer a series of questions from Frihost to see what they are all about.

If Frihost supports it, then that specific group will be given the info to hook into the server.

I know a guy who runs his own internet radio network and all he does is talk with those who want a show and then awards them the server for free.
rvec
They can't control the stream even if they are in charge. The most they can do is listen to it 24/7 with a stream delay and get the stream off-line if anything against the rules is done.

Frihost is for webhosting they'd need a new server for shoutcast.

Get this out of your head, frihost won't do anything like this.
Vrythramax
rvec wrote:
They can't control the stream even if they are in charge. The most they can do is listen to it 24/7 with a stream delay and get the stream off-line if anything against the rules is done.

Frihost is for webhosting they'd need a new server for shoutcast.

Get this out of your head, frihost won't do anything like this.

I'm pretty sure Rvec is right here, Frihost is dedicated to Web Hosting and is a function of profitability (no offense Bondings). There would be little profit to be gained if all the money earned and spent on dedicated servers was transfered to lawsuits pertaining to the legality of what they were spreading.
coolclay
Hum, that does sound pretty sweet. I honestly don't think it would be possible monetarily speaking, unless someone has a lot of spare change that I don't know about.
Jack_Hammer
Vrythramax wrote:
Crazy_Canuck wrote:

hmm...there's a valid point here...can anything be a little bit legal?

Legal system is just someones interpritation of what is right and wrong, so nothing is 100% legal, it could still be interprited wrong.
Wink
reddishblue
I just hope it has some relevence to Frihost, I can listen to a commercial station if I want, its going to take an actual reason to make me listen to this.
Perhaps some voice tutorials or intresting facts on would make it a more interesting listening, it needs to have an edge of sorts.
I hope it's successful for you, I would like a good online radio station to listen to.
Good Luck
Reddish
rvec
that's an idea. It's not hard to get a script that puts a show on top of the queue every day at a set time. So we can do some tutorials every day at a pre-set time. I wanted to get a world news bulletin every hour but I couldn't make that happen yet.

If anyone makes a audio tutorial I'd be happy to put them on. And if people want to advertise on the radio we can give out frih for those and everyone else who helps.

BTW radio up again!
Vrythramax
rvec wrote:
that's an idea. It's not hard to get a script that puts a show on top of the queue every day at a set time. So we can do some tutorials every day at a pre-set time. I wanted to get a world news bulletin every hour but I couldn't make that happen yet.

If anyone makes a audio tutorial I'd be happy to put them on. And if people want to advertise on the radio we can give out frih for those and everyone else who helps.

BTW radio up again!

A link on the page to an RSS feed that opens a new window could be an answer to a "World News" alternative Rvec, it would keep them listening and still be able to view the news. Smile
rvec
Then I'd place a thing like this on the site.
http://search-result.com/

But I prefer a news bulletin on the radio. And it is possible, I just have to find out how.
rvec
I want ads for frihost sites on it.
And frihost tutorials.
If anyone knows anything else to make it more frihost related don't hesitate telling me.

Edit:
Dancing Frihost Radio Dancing Now Dancing Has Dancing Hourly News!! Dancing
Source is msnbc
I was working on that for over an hour now, that's the reason of the Dancing

Edit2:
more work and a bit more news.
at 22:00 local time (20:00 GMT) There is a special news bulletin. Also from msnbc but it's the evening news.

Edit3:
I thought there was a post above this one that wasn't mine Surprised

And I made a nice page to listen to frihost radio. It works with WMP. And the now playing thing updates automaticly. I used a frame Embarassed I know it can be done in a different way but that's a lot harder.
rvec
I got my pc back. So that means I will try to set up frihost radio again. I got the site working again and I have some ideas to make it better. I am also going to try and make it possible for other people to stream to the server, if anyone feels like giving it a try pm me.
[FuN]goku
i probly wouldnt listen to it for the fact that i DJ my own radio with my friends Shoutcast server. But, the best i can tell you is : get virtual dj, it owns, the money is totally worth it i've dj'd a couple parties as well, and mostly i play Hardcore (type of techno) or Drum n' bass , Trance , Regular techno, rave. I dont usually play slow dance, country and stuff like that, mostly cuz i dont like it, and well, i mostly do internet radio so... your generally not gonna slow dance to an internet radio, but when i do Parties, they usually have flashing lights so it fits the music Smile

Best stuff to play is, The Prodigy, Pendulum, Any type of hardcore will do really but i prefer the fast hardcore stuff.

Anywho, how the hell did i manage to talk about all that? lol
rvec
nice seems like we've got our first dj for the weekend. I was planning on making a new website and put most things from this site in it. I will also add something like a news system and I have to get the chat working again.
Vrythramax
rvec wrote:
nice seems like we've got our first dj for the weekend. I was planning on making a new website and put most things from this site in it. I will also add something like a news system and I have to get the chat working again.

I have some mp3's of my own I wouldn't mind having people listen to.....I own the copyrights legally. Just let me know.
skygaia
it sounds good.
xkobram
rvec wrote:
depends on the country law. I'll check on some country's I am sure we can find a server in a country where it's legal. I think Sweden wouldn't mind, but I am not sure.

Edit: since 2005 sweden does mind.

In our law, (CZE) it doesn't matter, where the server is, but where are you broadcasting for.

We had experienced problems with our radio and since 2007 even If we wouldn't get any money from that we would have to pay for copyright (350€/year to one organisation, 100€/month to another)...
rvec
Ok I will not talk about the legal thing again. I think I made it clear I won't pay anything and the dutch anti-copy organizations will send me a letter before they sue me. So please stop bothering me with that.
mjohnson
Frihost Radio?I can not understand what is that.how can you do that?
rvec
Please read the first post and look at the radio page, you will get all the info you need to know. If you want more info about starting a radio station please search google for shoutcast.
MadeinIndia
I definitely like the idea of a Frihost radio. I have come across an online radio station called hotlikechillipeppers.com and it's awesome. But what about the copyrights issues and the royalties to be paid...We have to make sure we don't flout any rules.

But otherwise, if we get royalty free music and other stuff, it will be great!
Jaan
So has this idea taken off?

Will we just have a Winamp Playlist or will people speak as well?

Also, will we be able to take turns playing tracks and maybe even get to the point of playing a DJ set?

And it will have to be 'unofficial' Frihost radio since we're not paying fees and FriHost does not wants legal trublz.

lawl, hit me back.
damn
amm i think that's great idea! i will help if you need somthing Smile
Vrythramax
Frihost Radio is currently being implemented to the #Frihost-Games channel for user pleasure.....you can even hear some of my own music there Smile
rvec
Jaan wrote:
So has this idea taken off?

Will we just have a Winamp Playlist or will people speak as well?

Also, will we be able to take turns playing tracks and maybe even get to the point of playing a DJ set?

And it will have to be 'unofficial' Frihost radio since we're not paying fees and FriHost does not wants legal trublz.

lawl, hit me back.

Yes it's unofficial, don't get fooled by my mod status, this is something I am doing as a user of frihost and not as a member of the staff.