FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Greek History

corridor_writers
I thought I would start a thread on Greek History, as my interest in this area has been re-sparked with the release of the movie “300”.

To start, I would HIGHLY recommend that everybody interested in this time frame, particularly as it related to the Spartans, read “Gates of Fire: An Epic Novel of the Battle of Thermopylae” written by Steven Pressfield.

This historical novel is very accurate historically, except perhaps for the main character, a squire to the Spartans who can tell their story from an outside perspective. This is a brilliantly written book which I would recommend to anybody.

It can be found on Amazon.com here…..
http://www.amazon.com/Gates-Fire-Novel-Battle-Thermopylae/dp/055338368X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-0603487-4605558?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1181676270&sr=8-1

So……who knows more about the battles following this one? Particularly these battles:
Naval Battle of Artemisium
Naval Battle of Salamis
Battle of Plataea
mshinwari
i think Ancient Greek is the language of the Homeric poems, including the Iliad and the Odyssey, and of the great works of literature and philosophy of the Athenian Golden Age, which came to be the foundations of Western civilisation's modern mathematics and sciences yeah
thealpha
Greek!!!!!! I love it !!!^^
Can anybody tell me more about Greece???
corridor_writers
thealpha wrote:
Greek!!!!!! I love it !!!^^
Can anybody tell me more about Greece???

Wow….that has to be the broadest question I have ever been asked. It’s too bad that we only get a max of 5 points per post….I could answer by writing a book. Smile

So, to do this in brief…here are some highlights. You can choose from these which to drill into for more information. Smile

My personal favorites are the Bronze Age and Ancient Greece (which you will not have the most information.) Smile

The timeline of Greek history can be broken down into these eras, along with highlights from these times:

Aegean/ Minoan Civilization (Prehistoric Greece)
o From about 2700 BC to 1450 BC
o Invaded by Mycenaean’s from Mainland Greece

Mycenaean Greece (The Bronze Age)
o From about 1600 BC to 1100 BC
o Dominated by a warrior aristocracy
o Settings for Homers “The Iliad” and “Odyssey.”
o Older stories (Jason and the Argonauts, Achilles, etc) abound here.

The Dark Ages
o 1200 BC to 800 BC
o Dark ages…nuff said (for now Smile

Ancient Greece
o 800 BC to 323 BC - The traditional date for the end of the Ancient Greek period is the death of Alexander the Great in 323 BC.
o Considered to be the foundational culture of all western civilization.
o First Olympic games.
o This age is where the writers and poets (like Homer) flourished.
o Mathematics, the written language, poetry, philosophy, etc flourish here.
o THIS is where most of our Greek mythology and stories come from.
o This is also the era where the Persians invaded Greece, and where the famous battle of Thermopylae was fought.

Hellenistic Greece
o 332 BC to 146 BC, when the Romans “annexed” Greece.

Roman Greece
o 146 BC to 324 AD

Byzantine Empire
o 324 AD 610 AD
o The newly renamed Constantinople becomes the new the new capital of the Roman Empire.

Ottoman Rule of Greece
o 610 AD to 1821 AD

Modern Greece
o 1821 to Present

Want more? You may want to start by reading the Wiki on Greece at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Greece

It is interesting to note that the Greeks spent a lot of their time during the dark ages trying to trace their ancestry back to the heroes from Mycenaean Greece, especially those supposedly related to Heracles (Hercules).

Anyway....a person could spend a lifetime learning about the ancient greeks. Smile
BiZNatch
Some Greek gods would be nice to learn about too. ^^

The Titans
# Gaea
# Uranus
# Cronus
# Rhea
# Oceanus
# Tethys
# Hyperion
# Mnemosyne
# Themis
# Iapetus
# Coeus
# Crius
# Phoebe
# Thea
# Prometheus
# Epimetheus
# Atlas
# Metis

The Olympians
* Zeus --> My Idol Very Happy
* Poseidon
* Hades
* Hestia
* Hera
* Ares
* Athena
* Apollo
* Aphrodite
* Hermes
* Artemis
* Hephaestus
kohn
the greek have lots of stories patterning there history, form their god of the sun zues to posiedon,it;s a rich past of kings and wars fought and won and lost.

Thanks to modern movie grafics we've seen some films about some of the past historical anames from the greek.

I'llike to know was hercules a greek also. and the city of troy and the spartan soldiers also,i know they speak geek but where they greek,some should please put me straight
sonicsight
I like spartans, their cool, especially when they surround them selves and each and everyof them them protectes the spearmen into battle with their shield, tis called ummm, shieldsomething, idk, but i learnd it in SS class, but to assure you again that greek aint that famous.
corridor_writers
kohn wrote:
the greek have lots of stories patterning there history, form their god of the sun zues to posiedon,it;s a rich past of kings and wars fought and won and lost.

Thanks to modern movie grafics we've seen some films about some of the past historical anames from the greek.

I'llike to know was hercules a greek also. and the city of troy and the spartan soldiers also,i know they speak geek but where they greek, some should please put me straight

Yes, Hercules was Greek, though Hercules was not his original name. Hercules is also known as Heracles, who was the supposed son of Zeus and the mortal woman Alcmena. He is best known for performing twelve tasks, known as the ‘The Twelve Labors of Hercules’ to cleanse himself after he went insane and killed his wife and children.

sonicsight wrote:
I like spartans, their cool, especially when they surround them selves and each and everyof them them protectes the spearmen into battle with their shield, tis called ummm, shieldsomething, idk, but i learnd it in SS class, but to assure you again that greek aint that famous.

Yes, I agree that the Spartan war tactics were incredible. The tactic you are referring to was called a phalanx formation (or in modern terms a shield wall and spear hedge). The idea was that shields should overlap to avoid oblique attacks.

Here is a wiki quite for you on Spartan Tactics: “Spartan Tactics: The Spartans made full use of the phalanx, a formation composed of many soldiers in close formation with interlocking shields and outstretched spears, in a straight line. This formation was only perfected by Sparta, other cities had difficulty in maintaining the line for long. This provided an almost impenetrable wall of spears as if one man fell the next soldier in his file would come forward to take his place. The phalanx was almost immobile, however, and the general method of turning was for the front rank, to form a battle-line and raise their pikes to 90 degrees and turn in unison, when the rest of the army would follow suite. Despite this, for hundreds of years wars in Greece were decided by human hedgehogs having a push at each other. Casualties were often in the realms of 5% as the army would often flee when its leader was impaled on an enemy spear.”
knight_frost
One of the most colorful and most interesting history are the Greeks..
I love their myths and the way people live and think during that time. One of my favorite thinker is Aristotle who was once a teacher of the Great, Alexander. Too sad that these people were not as rich as it was before, in the field of literature and science..
frozenhead
In ancients, Greek has one the best "Art of War" along with China's "Sun Tsu's Art of War".
Coclus
I think the real great thing Greece should be remembered for is its incredible Philosophers, Mathematic theories and so on. It is simply incredible, for example they figured out what diameter the earth has, and the circumference of the world. They knew it was a ball too, which was to be forgotten for 300 years afterwards.
corridor_writers
Coclus wrote:
I think the real great thing Greece should be remembered for is its incredible Philosophers, Mathematic theories and so on. It is simply incredible, for example they figured out what diameter the earth has, and the circumference of the world. They knew it was a ball too, which was to be forgotten for 300 years afterwards.

Without a doubt they certainly gave us the foundations for many of the modern sciences we have and enjoy today.