FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

WebOS

hicham_the_webmaster
Do you heard about WebOS ???

A web desktop or webtop is a network application system for integrating web applications into a web based work space. It is a virtual desktop on the web, running in a web browser as software.

It's one of the features of the Web 2.0, new technologies, new habits, new ways of thinking ...

Personnaly, I appreciate eyeOS, it's an amazing OOS (Online Operating System) that is FREE, GNU GPL, Extensible and has an AJAX engine !

test here : http://eyeos.org

Idea
manumiglani
There are lot of them including

https://www.youos.com
http://www.glidedigital.com
http://www.eyeos.org

eyeos being the lamest of all IMO.
turbowolf
eyeos is awesome, but I think it's a bit slow. It just likes a popular decoration. But you can't use it to do any practical work.
hicham_the_webmaster wrote:
Do you heard about WebOS ???

A web desktop or webtop is a network application system for integrating web applications into a web based work space. It is a virtual desktop on the web, running in a web browser as software.

It's one of the features of the Web 2.0, new technologies, new habits, new ways of thinking ...

Personnaly, I appreciate eyeOS, it's an amazing OOS (Online Operating System) that is FREE, GNU GPL, Extensible and has an AJAX engine !

test here : http://eyeos.org

Idea
LostOverThere
Yeah, cool. But what happens to my data when the server goes down? Rolling Eyes
Arno v. Lumig
I really don't get the point of this. There are many easier and faster ways to collaborate and have access from all over then world. VNC/SSH and that kind of stuff will allow you to do much, much more. It's nice to play with, for 2 minutes...
snicker
Hey, I have to say that the idea behind eyeOS is intriguing. But I wonder: How long until GoogleOS?

My 2 cents
qscomputing
These Web OSs are nice toys to play with for a few minutes, like the "SubOS" programs that a lot of newbs seem to like creating with Game Maker (which has got to be the absolute worst tool for creating that sort of thing, but anyway). I can't see anyone using a web-based system like this for any serious work. The only real use I can see for something like this is collaboration: first user uploads his version of a file, and any (invited) user can edit it online in real-time. Kinda like a wiki.
fadirocks
sounds fun but what's the use again?
d3f3nd3r
the idea of a webos is great, i can acess my datas everywhere and edit them online, nearly as perfect as linux
Arno v. Lumig
d3f3nd3r wrote:
the idea of a webos is great, i can acess my datas everywhere and edit them online, nearly as perfect as linux

Do you happen to be a Linux fanboy?

I can also access my data from anywhere. It's called FTP and it's a great protocol for sharing files.
greatfire
meh, i can access any of my computer(no mater what OS) anywhere remotely at all times anyway, its also much faster then most web oses. They really arent that great.
LostOverThere
Arno v. Lumig wrote:
d3f3nd3r wrote:

I can also access my data from anywhere. It's called FTP and it's a great protocol for sharing files.

If that's all you want why not use a Linux Live CD and boot from a USB stick. Then you can take your OS with you. My favourite for all Live CDs being SLAX.
Arno v. Lumig
LostOverThere wrote:
Arno v. Lumig wrote:
d3f3nd3r wrote:

If that's all you want why not use a Linux Live CD and boot from a USB stick. Then you can take your OS with you. My favourite for all Live CDs being SLAX.

I could do that, but I always save my documents in a portable format so that I can edit it from anywhere I want to. Bringing a live CD with me would make some things easier (no need to convert odt to doc, for example), but so far that's not a problem.
Thank you for your advice tho...
pll
I agree with people who said that it's fun to play with for few minutes. But I think that when it will be more developped the web based OS will help a lot of people. We just need to continue this way and in a few years this will be amazing
THE11thROCK™
Until much of the WebOSes are memory hogs, they can't be that successful I believe.
TheGeek
With the upcoming release of the OLPC (one laptop per child) this sort of "portable os" that you can get from anywhere in the world seems a bit pointless. It's a good idea right now because not everyone can afford a laptop but when the OLPC comes out, anyone who needs/wants one can get a laptop for around $200 which is affordable for just about any budget. I do like the idea of a googleOS though, however, I don't believe they really have any plans to do anything like this in the future. If they did it would be neat but frankly I don't believe they have the intention of doing so.
Indyan
I am yet to come across a webos that is actually useful. All of them are clunky and offer only basic funtionality.
Besides that, the term webOS itself is misleading. A OS is a piece of software that manages hardware and allows us to interact with the hardware. Web OS cant run without an actual os. So whats the need for them?
TheGeek
The best thing I have seen as far as a "portable OS" is what google is currently offering which is the portable office apps they have which are wonderfully useful for transporting documents from place to place and platform independant so I can write something on my linux laptop and pull it up on a windows machine at school without problems.
hack_man_
I have been using eyeOS off of my home pc over my network and DDNS with Afraid.org for quite a long time, if you host it locally with the Microserver, it is great as an intranet for your network and for taking your work out of the office, I am trying out different software for it... OpenOffice or locally hosted Google Docs+Spreadsheets would be great!
exarkun
i think the thing with all these invention is that it looks "cooler" then it seems. People like to brag about how great they are in the IT area, like "what!? you are still using file server to get your files? I am using a webOS for that." etc.

That is the nature of humans that these products come about. But thanks for the share anyway, think I am gonna try it out,
simplyw00x
I love how people are so caught up in the "Web 2.0 revolution" that every time a new web app pops up, everyone's all "*squee* a new wonderful thing that we couldn't do before!". Ok web-based mail is a terrible idea, but it's been around a while so it's just about bearable. But web-based video-editing? Web-based document editing? These are BAD IDEAS, people. There's a blog post explaining how web apps are like OS 9 - if one crashes, it brings down everything - and even if this is addressed, it's obviously a waste of bandwidth to communicate things across great distance that have no need to be communicated for such a task.

As said earlier, most of what's available through web-2.0 is available though normal tools (FTP, SSH, X protocol, even VNC), if people would only learn to use their damn computers.
Studio Madcrow
It's a decent idea, but frankly I don't see why one should even bother bringing the desktop metaphor to the Internet. The Web has its own standards and expectations. Why not create exciting new "application" within that framework? Zoho.com, for example, is a suite of mindblowing web applications, plus the tools to build your own, and its all free. Why not work on providing an open source version of something like that, which somebody might actually have some use for, rather than an "internet operating system"?
Indyan
TheGeek wrote:
The best thing I have seen as far as a "portable OS" is what google is currently offering which is the portable office apps they have which are wonderfully useful for transporting documents from place to place and platform independant so I can write something on my linux laptop and pull it up on a windows machine at school without problems.

Thats not really OS. They are web applications. Btw, you should also check out Zoho's offering - www.zoho.com
TheGeek
Nice link, thanks. I can't wait until I have a house and I'm married and have kids...it will give me an excuse to setup a computer and give my kid's Jack PC's, thats probably the closest I'll ever get to a WebOS use for every day stuff...I just think those things are the neatest thing.
nhuabo
the idea of a webos is great,we can acess our data everywhere and edit them online, nearly as perfect as local.The idea is amazing,But the band width is the most question when processing lots of data.