FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

sending a file through local connection

Sparda
I have this huge file that I need to get to the other computer. It is 3.77GB. I was going to go to the store to buy one of those USB memory holding devices. If I can send the file through local connection why buy this memory stick? So if there is some way I can send the file with my local connection let me know please. ~Thanks
Kelvin
Sparda, in your previous post, you mentioned that you have a wireless router available in your house. In this case you will have no problem at all transferring files between computers, providing that they are in the same workgroup. If your workgroup is not the same, you can configure it by right clicking your "my computer" icon, select "properties" then click "computer name" & "change". Rename both computers as the same workgroup name and you can get started in your file transfer campaign. The files can be transfered across the default "My Shared Documents" folder or you can just create a new folder and assign sharing options. You can transfer the files wirelessly or via cable if your router has the built-in ports. Cable will reduce transfer speed since you mentioned that you are facing low connectivity.

Alternatively you can create a direct cable connection between two computers. The process is quite long to post here so I suggest you click on "Help & support" on your 'start' button. Then run a search on "direct cable connection". You will have a few options of connecting. Have a go and if you have any problem, keep posting here.
froginabox
Another possibility is to run a network crossover cable if you don't want to use the wireless router. You would still have to name the machines to the same workgroup, and make sure there is a shared folder on the one to be transferred to.

At the same time, USB thumb drives are dirt cheap, you can get big ones at the big online computer places like TigerDirect and NewEgg.
Sparda
Ya I got the shared folder way to work. Thanks for the help.
internetjobs
copy your files, wile very low collision on the network.. that is you can easily copy when your network have very low traffic...
satyamy
Sparda wrote:
I have this huge file that I need to get to the other computer. It is 3.77GB. I was going to go to the store to buy one of those USB memory holding devices. If I can send the file through local connection why buy this memory stick? So if there is some way I can send the file with my local connection let me know please. ~Thanks

Why dont you use a 4.7GB Rewritable CD instead of USB Drive it will be very cheap around Rs. 100/- Smile
hicham_the_webmaster
Please give us more details on your configuration / available material so as to help you !
badai
with a file this big, maybe u should use this little utility to make sure you can do it 1 time only.

http://www.ranvik.net/totalcopy