FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

whatsyourimpact.co.nr

inphurno
hello, i've created a site about climate change called What's Your Impact?

The site has a few section:
1. what are the main greenhouse gases
2. what are the main sources of those greenhouse gases
3. and what can you do personally to reduce your emissions

The site also has an emissions calculator on it so you can find out what is your impact! whats different about the calculator on our website is that it calculates indirect emissions too. Indirect emissions are mostly caused by transporting goods from all over the world to your store.

Indirect emissions are one of the driving forces in climate change but are almost always omitted from calculators because of the difficulty to calculate them. The few calculators that include calculations of indirect emissions use national averages that dont take into account the fact that babies and elderly people are strong consumers and thusly dont create similar amounts of indirect emissions. Our calculations are based on consumption patterns, so the numbers are much more concrete.

So I invite you to go to our site, read the information there and use our calculator to see what's your impact

English: http://whatsyourimpact.co.nr/
Francais: http://votreimpact.co.nr/

feel free to put your comments and/or questions in this thread
chrismen
I liked your site. Great job. Love the content. The design is nice (I have even used that same design for an older site of mine). Good job with the two languages. I just finished a project for a client and the translating was a huge pain. I would have digged (dugg?) it but don't have a account.
the6thfactor
Great topic, word needs to get out.

As far as the layout goes, looks like it has great potetial, but I think you need to work on colors a bit. The gray type over a blue background does not stick out well at all, perhaps use white text? Or find a nother way to make that text more readable. Good work though keep it up Smile
inphurno
thanks for your comments! looking forward to hearing more comments from all of you out there...
Digital Thoth
Personally, I like the site the way it looks. Smooth and flowing, especially with the beginning option of two languages. Like the other guy said, I'd have 'digg'ed it, but I don't have an account, either.

My question is 'Do you have any expertise in the field? Or, are you regurgitating the words of other people?' Not that I have room to talk, or anyone really, considering almost everything is a replay of someone elses' words or works, I just wanna know for personal curiousity.

Other than that, though, keep up the good work. It looks nice, and I'm impressed. Especially by that calculator thing, that was pretty cool.
{name here}
It's probably not a good idea to use co.nr for various reasons including search engine indexing not happening when you're using a frame and the lacking ability to bookmark things et cetera. I suggest you get a free domain from afraid.org or another similar provider and use the namserver ability so that the content is delivered directly.

Going into your frameset and looking at the true innards of your site I see that the person who made your cookie cutter template has made your site very well, though there is a lot of commenting out. You used dcarter's Blue Spring template and modified the logo, changed the drop caps on the top of the site, and changed the purpose of the latest news column.

In Opera your modifications to the former "latest news column" show up to be spaced out too much.

I think that I've seen sites that calculate your impact several times before. The single advantage your site poses is the fact that you also add the background information lacking on sites with these calculators.
inphurno
Digital Thoth wrote:

My question is 'Do you have any expertise in the field? Or, are you regurgitating the words of other people?' Not that I have room to talk, or anyone really, considering almost everything is a replay of someone elses' words or works, I just wanna know for personal curiousity.

to answer your questions Digital Thoth, i'm an engineer and i'm going to be continuing my education with a masters in environmental studies. as for the content of the site there was a lot of research done (by myself and others) to put together the information on the site. there are a lot of quotes to suppliment the text but the majority of the text in the site was writen by myself and my team. we have even created concise definitions of certain terms that are found no where else on the net.

also thanks for the compliments, yeah we tried to keep it simple and clean but if you dont mind i'de really appreciate it if you dugg the site. making an account is really fast and digg.com is quickly becoming one of the fastest growing link exchanges out there so its a great way to generate interest in the message of the site.
inphurno
thanks for your comments {name here} and i'll try to fix up the problem in opera. right now as a non profit organization we dont have the cash to buy a .org lets say so we'll stick with co.nr just cause it looks better than being whatsyourimpact.afraid.org... we needed to be online as fast and as free as possible but with time we'll have to get a domain and that will fix search engine indexing problems caused by the url masking.

{name here} wrote:

I think that I've seen sites that calculate your impact several times before. The single advantage your site poses is the fact that you also add the background information lacking on sites with these calculators.

what you say is true but another thing that makes our site better is the fact that we calculate indirect emissions and that we do it using real numbers and consumer decisions...