FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Solaris

Studio Madcrow
Does anybody here run Solaris? It supposedly has features that make it better for servers than Linux, and it's free (You can get a free 3 DVD set from Sun quite easily). It also has rather modest hardware requirements (runs on a 120 MHz Pentium!!!) This all LOOKS good, but has anyone here actually used the thing?
{name here}
I tried to use it, but there were a few problems:
# I couldn't use my internet connection because it lacks the proper wireless driver.
# The command line behaved a bit oddly - it inserts input in a different mode than some other command lines(arrow keys and other such things are visually represented and going back in your command history is disabled).

Other than that, it seemed like a pretty decent system for the time that I did have it on my computer. I didn't really have much time to play around with it, though.
fiendskull9
its more suited for database use

i know the UofI (where my stepdad is a senior DBA) is run mostly on sun servers with solaris (some with as many as 64 CPU's in each box!)

-clay
greatfire
i mihgt take a look at it. It should run well on my old pc, and all i really need it for i a database
fiendskull9
i'd truthfully just reccomend linux for it

but oh well

im sure theres alot of online doc's for stuff

good luck, and let us know of the outcome!
Nyizsa
{name here} wrote:
I tried to use it, but there were a few problems:
# I couldn't use my internet connection because it lacks the proper wireless driver.

Yes, the hardware support for x86 is pretty poor. This may improve with time, as the openSolaris project contributes with some drivers.
{name here} wrote:
# The command line behaved a bit oddly - it inserts input in a different mode than some other command lines(arrow keys and other such things are visually represented and going back in your command history is disabled).

You were using sh; if you started bash (or specified as the user's default shell), you would get the same behaviour as you are used to.
{name here} wrote:
Other than that, it seemed like a pretty decent system for the time that I did have it on my computer. I didn't really have much time to play around with it, though.

Same thing here, it is a good one, but it's just not ready for a productive desktop on x86. It shows its true powers on a SPARC.
Arno v. Lumig
I used it for a week, but it was VERY slow. It would take sometimes over half a minute to load firefox, and the RAM usage was excessive. I have 512MB of RAM in this box, and around 300MB was used after boot. It was also very unstable on my system. Getting my network interface controllers to work was also hell, but in the end I did it by downloading a driver to an USB memory stick, and installing it in Solaris.
I was probably just having bad luck, it's said to be very good... Right now I'll stick with FreeBSD.
teko
Im not sure if OpenSolaris is ready for the desktop or not just yet. But it is very good for development and/or if youre interested in operating systems in general. It has some cool new things like zfs, dtrace, zones to mention a few.

saying that there seems to be a pretty good community now built up and you will even get answers from Sun developers at times. There is also a desktop and laptop forum on their site too so probably worth checking them out to see how far they are.