FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Safari 3.0 on Windows (beta)

cosmicx
have anyone here try install Safari 3.0 beta on Windows before? It claims that the browser works faster than IE and Firefox. Very Happy
OS Master
I'm using it right now, and it is definitely faster than IE and Firefox. I like it so far. I haven't found any bugs yet, except for my other computer where it won't even start.
kiranaghor
Wow it looks soo koool. I am making this post from Safari 3 on XP. I can't say if it is faster or better. It is just diffrent.
froginabox
I've heard a few people say that it is great and faster, and two people who have had it do nothing but lock up on XP Pro... so not sure. I don't know if I'll bother trying it, I already use FireFox for most things and IE for some work stuff.
fiendskull9
cool!

i used to mess around with swift (a windows implementation of WebKit) but it died forever ago and was very buggy

ill try safari 3 right now!
srujanlive
Within 48 hours after launch, at least 18 potential security threats were found on Safari. And Apple has already issued a patch. As for the browser itself, it is a huge memory hog, much more than Firefox. And it is definitely not faster than Opera, the browser I use.
Srs2388
I'm using it now I love it Smile It is more like the OS X Safari than I thgouht it would be
JayBee
I can't install it on localized windows, because it crashes on startup.
blueray
Oh, Safari on windows. It great !!!

But how about the compatiability
Studio Madcrow
Meh. Mainly useful if you want to develop web apps for the iPhone (Safari can run them, apparently, meaning that you can use it to test stuff out) Firefox and Opera both pwn Safari.
Srs2388
Safari works better in mac os...
I don't know why Laughing
SgtGarcia
I tried to install it on my vista pc but it just wont work. It loads but i only see some sort of base-interface. All the icons en menu entries are missing. I cant use the adress bar etc. I'll give it another shot soon but it looks a bit buggy to me.
riyadh
im also having the same problem.i installed safari on windows XP SP2.none of the text show up even on the webpages.only the images show up.what seems to be the problem???
babumuchhala
I have been using Safari on XP SP 2 for the last few day and here's what I have come to conclude.

Safari is really good, when it comes to looks and aesthetics, but the beta version is too buggy and does crash every now and then.

Safari is very bare bones and feature less. It is obviously faster than Internet Explore 7 and Firefox 2, but its got a long way before it can get anywhere near the rendering speed of Opera. Plus if it needs to get users to migrated it will have to be as feature rich as Opera right out of the box, or people will just stick to Firefox.
pashmina
its too buggy, i just hated it. i like the looks its fast but isn't of my type. prefer firefox always.
jynxanims
I've tried it. IN my opinion, firefox is, and forever will be the best browser, lol. IE just plain ol' sucks...really, really bad, too. Safari, is, well...mehish. Nothing special about it. The only advantage I see with this is for web developers. Now they can test their sites on safari without needing a mac. I know this will be very useful. I'll just let it sit here on my desktop until I need it for testing purposes.
Indyan
The test results shown on www.apple.com/safari are bullshit.
They were done using a very old utility called iBench. Moreoever Safari cheats on the test. For more on that visit ==> http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/safaribenchmarks.html

Safari's font smoothing sucks. Everything looked blurred. Also it doesnt redraw instantly like Opera, which is extremely annoying.
It has some nice features like - Private Browsing, Activity Indicator and Inline Find (I know others like Opera and Fx also have inline find but safari's implementation is better).

But, I welcome the move to release Safari for Windows. Safari is a lot more standard compliant (when compared to IE or Fx). Hence, generally if a website works in Safari it would work in other standard compliant browsers like Opera. Hopefully now more web developers would test their websites on Safari too.
cosmicx
but then Safari 3.0 does not have any extension like what Firefox do...so, hopefully, the browser can be improved later on Very Happy
jon9314
just got it.
its ok.
still like firefox better
simplyw00x
I don't think this is important because "ZOMG LOL I lek Firefox/IE/Opera more!!!11111oneone", but because it shows a trend of Apple either hoping to entice more people to MacOS by showcasing their apps, or possibly suggesting that they're going to roll out MacOS for pcs, or possibly something else altogether. But the point is that they're not doing this just to improve people's browsing.
why6487
Opt for Firefox! Safari is a memory hog!

And if you need Safari, buy a Mac please. It works better on it.
greatfire
what a load of ****. safari runs slower then IE. My schools got it and it took all of 45 seconds to load the start page off the schools intranet. compare that to the 5.1 seconds of IE (school's tends to opt for more computers rather then any built in recent times)
simplyw00x
Quote:
what a load of ****. safari runs slower then IE.

The only impartial benchmarks I've seen state that Safari and FF are faster than IE by some distance, with FF being slightly faster than Safari. So I put it to you that your network is a load of ****, or possibly that comparing cached and uncached load times is not really fair.

MS troll...
nico.carpentier
i think apple is making a good buzz with safari on windows. it will encourage a lot of people to switch on mac os X. It's crazy the number of windows users who still believe that there are problems under mac os X ("no it's not compatible"). But after really trying, it's another thing. And safari on windows is a good way to enter the closest minds... like the ipod or the next iphone buzz.
infobankr
Safari on Windows is a good thing, no doubt. It will encourage web applications to make their websites more standardized - which is a good thing too!

It is so frustrating when you try to use a service like Quickbooks online, only to find out they only support IE - the worst browser ever!
nico.carpentier
i guess things are changing... Internet Explorer is one of the last dinosaur.
Srs2388
I did a speed test in internet explorer my results weren't as good... in firefox... much better and then in safari it was about the same.
It does run MUCH better on a mac. (for obvious reasons)
FunDa
Hi Mac and Safari users ...

I installed Safari beta for windows but I have a problem with this page
www.jipmerspandan.com

I can scroll to the bottom and click the button labelled Enter (Enter the site) on IE and Firefox but not from Safari on Windows ...

Is it just Windows or does it happen to Safari on Macintosh too ?
asianwannabe999
Rendering times are better than firefox or ie7 apparently (information weekly? can't remember where i read that). However, the numerous bugs and security issues are just way too ridiculous. It might become a pretty awesome browser for people with simple browsing needs. The grey panel coloring is just plain ugly in vista. It doesn't match anything else besides Itunes. By the way, for those of you using firefox, I really encourage you to try opera. It doesn't have the thousands of plugins and addons like firefox does, but it does have that sort of community coming together and render times as well as standards compliancy seems to be much better than firefox or ie is managing right now.

For mac users, I own a macbook and I enjoy using Safari on that platform, where it is much more developed and smoother. It just doesn't have the skills that pc browsers have to compete in the pc market.
FunDa
FunDa wrote:

www.jipmerspandan.com

I can scroll to the bottom and click the button labelled Enter (Enter the site) on IE and Firefox but not from Safari on Windows ...

I added another Enter link for the time being, but why can't it scroll down ???

Is it just another bug with Safari for Windows ???

Is there something I can do to the javascript to make it stop scrolling up each time the seconds change ?

It's probably triing to show me that the javascript has changed the thing displayed, and changes focus to the time , but that means I cannot click the enter button to Enter the actual site.

If I disable Javascript, it works fine ...

Any javascript codes please help ...
Sphaerenkern
Can't believe that Apple really made this beta public for windows.
I mean, what do they wanna tell? It's the third (?) software by Apple for Windows. And it's buggy, beta and whatsoever.
I'm a mac user and I'm using Safari 2, but I wouldn't use Safari 3 Beta on Windows. Safari becomes really good after I installed a few plugins, and they're not available on Windows.
FunDa
Quote:
www.jipmerspandan.com

I can scroll to the bottom and click the link labelled "Enter" (Enter the site) on IE and Firefox but not from Safari on Windows ...

Note: I have added another "Enter" link above the timer too, just in case.

Could somebody on a mac check out whether they get this same problem on Safari too ? If it's there, I would have to change the javascript
nico.carpentier
i just tried with my mac and the 2nd link "enter" works with firefox 2 and safari 2 but not with safari 3 beta (it happens a weird scroll and "enter" doesn't appear).
nico.carpentier
... is there the same symptom on safari 3 on windows ?
FunDa
nico.carpentier wrote:
i just tried with my mac and the 2nd link "enter" works with firefox 2 and safari 2 but not with safari 3 beta (it happens a weird scroll and "enter" doesn't appear).

safari 3 beta on a Mac ? I'm on Windows and I thought windows was at it again ... [Smile]
ennnzo
I tried it and was not satisfied. Firefox is faster than it. If ever I'll switch browsers, it would be with Flock since Flock is based from Firefox and they both have the about:config file you can edit to make it 4x faster.
the6thfactor
Would be worth a shot, but I have a feeling I will end up sticking with FF. We will see though, I too have heard mixed feelings on it.
FunDa
ennnzo wrote:
I tried it and was not satisfied. Firefox is faster than it. If ever I'll switch browsers, it would be with Flock since Flock is based from Firefox and they both have the about:config file you can edit to make it 4x faster.

How do you edit the file to make Firefox faster ?
Does it really work ?

I didn't know about that ..
sush
Works fine and is much faster than both IE and firefox. The most fantastic thing is the font smoothing - real OS X feel. But it's missing a lot of things that firefox always had - adblock. Plus I don't see any settings for a proxy server (maybe it uses IE's settings?)
greatfire
simplyw00x wrote:
Quote:
what a load of ****. safari runs slower then IE.

The only impartial benchmarks I've seen state that Safari and FF are faster than IE by some distance, with FF being slightly faster than Safari. So I put it to you that your network is a load of ****, or possibly that comparing cached and uncached load times is not really fair.

MS troll...

thats was not based on ANY benchmarks. The data was not cached, i prefer and use FF, which i find almost twice as fast as IE. And the network would not suddenly drop speeds as much as it did in the few seconds it took to load safari.

And How am i a MS troll, i use linux on most of my computers
Indyan
FunDa wrote:
ennnzo wrote:

How do you edit the file to make Firefox faster ?
Does it really work ?

I didn't know about that ..

You cant make it 4x faster. No way.
You can make is a bit faster by enabling http pipelining. Its something that Opera has enabled by default but all other browsers have it disabled by default.
dinael
Though Safari has the best visual experience I've ever seen, showing pages and text on them smoothly,it still can't compete with Firefox. Firefox has few extensions that made it best browser on earth,and there's where lies it's success. You can surf without ads being shown, you can switch over tabs easily and you can do all you can do with any other browser, and so much more.

So I don't know why Apple even bothered.
They could make another piece of software for Windows, like iPhoto.
That would be much better move in my opinion.
why6487
FunDa wrote:
Hi Mac and Safari users ...

www.jipmerspandan.com

FunDa,
I tried going there with my eMac and it works!
Safari 1.0.3, Mac OS X Jaguar
welshsteve
I have it installed, and it's pretty good. I won't be converting from Firefox and Opera though. I'll use it for testing the websites I build and that's about it.