FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Thin vs Fat - Training

Bannik
Here is one for the fans, recently me and a friend began discussing issues of diet and health (UK BBC news a little article on growing fat kids) and we began to notice something, people are not getting thinner.

With all the money wasted on training and better diets, classes in gyms etc….well all of these have shown that they work but not as well or as fast as things should be.

So I was thinking why the government doesn’t focus instead of loosing the weight but by living with it and still being healthy.
What am I talking about? Well it’s simple instead of teaching to loose weight we find methods to help those who love food by helping them be better fat people.

In history almost every culture has had fat people, they are regarded in many countries as a good sign of wealth, taste and some say better partners (hint hint wink wink)
Just look at the SUMO, even though they are fat their training and exercise have in a way made them healthy yes I am not saying go crazy on the ice cream but there are ways of still being big and healthy and I think that we should be focusing on that instead of making everyone think and think thin is better..

What do you think?

Oh and post tips on being a better fat person, I go first –

Instead of normal oil use olive oil, studies have shown olive oil is very VERY good for your heart and arteries (a village in Italy may be Immune to heart problems (resulting from food).
Sadow
First I want to say, if you work-out you will gain muscles and muscles actually are heavier than fat. So it will take a while before you will notice results.
Yes, some people have a tendency to be fat, but if they work out and they watch their diet (a diet actually means your habbit of eating and drinking) to be healthy, than I'm convinced fatter people can be even more healthy than thin people.
Next to work-out (which should be fit into your life to be as common as sleeping and eating, yes it should become a habbit, a good one), people should probably change their eating habbits, their diet.
Eat more vegetables, fruit and eat less meat and fat or candy.
If you keep to these rules, eating less and healthier and you take more excercise, than you will see results in your health.
benjmd
Doctors and scientists now know that exercising and having good cardiovascular health is as important if not more important than losing weight. Skinny people can be unhealthy, too. But we're not meant to be fat. I'm not talking about losing the last 10 lbs. I'm talking about losing the 70 extra lbs. Obtaining a healthy weight is a matter of understanding how many calories you take in and how many calories you burn.

Calories in:
Count the food

Calories burned:
(Weight * 10) + (Calories from activity level)

Calories from activity level:
Sedentary - 500 (no regular exercise)
Moderate - 750 (regular exercise)
Active - 1000 (regular, intense exercise)

Diet and exercise techniques fail because they are not chosen for long term habits. To really make a change in eating habits and exercise habits that will lead to long term health, you're gonna lose weight. Maybe you won't fit into a size 2 dress, but you're not going to be obese.
djcaution
man, I'm 22 years old.. 6 foot 1-2 inches tall.. and I weigh 140-145 pounds. I TRYYYYY to gain weight I really do! my metabolism is just relentless!! People kept saying "just wait til you hit 20, you'll have a milkshake & it'll go straight to your arse" or "wait til you're 21", well I'm 22 now. I gain 5 pounds per year, no more no less + no choice in the matter. I eat more than anybody I know it doesnt make a difference. I worked at a KFC/Taco Bell as a supervisor for over 2 years & had $20 employee meals every single day (I almost got fired for it) of hardcore kfc fattiness - chicken, tacos, burritos, everything. It didnt do a thing.

I'm happy with the way I look & everything. I'm muscular & all, but I would like to be a BIT less skinny at least ya know? And frankly I'd like to know if there's anything out there to help you GAIN weight not lose it...
furtasacra
djcaution wrote:
man, I'm 22 years old.. 6 foot 1-2 inches tall.. and I weigh 140-145 pounds. I TRYYYYY to gain weight I really do! my metabolism is just relentless!! People kept saying "just wait til you hit 20, you'll have a milkshake & it'll go straight to your arse" or "wait til you're 21", well I'm 22 now. I gain 5 pounds per year, no more no less + no choice in the matter. I eat more than anybody I know it doesnt make a difference. I worked at a KFC/Taco Bell as a supervisor for over 2 years & had $20 employee meals every single day (I almost got fired for it) of hardcore kfc fattiness - chicken, tacos, burritos, everything. It didnt do a thing.

I'm happy with the way I look & everything. I'm muscular & all, but I would like to be a BIT less skinny at least ya know? And frankly I'd like to know if there's anything out there to help you GAIN weight not lose it...

You're 22? My advice to you is don't worry about it. When I was 22, I was underweight, and ate everything in sight, to no avail, because I was so active I burned it right off. HOWEVER. When I hit my thirties, I slowed down, but my appetite didn't, and I got FAT. I've been gradually adjusting my eating habits to my current physical activity level. The excess weight is almost all off now, but it would have been better to never turn into a tub of lard to begin with.

Eat a lot if you have to, but lay off the greasy rubbish and eat healthy. And be ready to curb that appetite if you start getting flubbery around the middle a few years down the road! Smile
mawfia
I can really only give advice for people that have never been over weight or muscular. I started running when I went to college. Starting from about 2 miles a week to 9 miles by my sophmore year. I also began weight lifting around the same time for about two hours a day for five days a week. My workout and running routine have adjusted since my years in college but even as I get older I have stayed relatively slim and have also gained muslce. Now I run about 6-9 miles a week and I workout an hour a day.

Ultimately work determines how much I workout which is sad I know but I have maintained my weight of 155-165 (in college) and I can still run three or more miles striaght. Hopefully when I hit my thirties if I maintain my workout now, will keep everything else as it is.
gradelem
healthy is most important thing
knullbar
Not really, being fat with a high body fat percentage are absolutely not healthy at all. You got big chances of ending up with one or more disease, eg diabetes grade 2.
You'll get easier depressed. And can die early by a thrombus (clot of blood).

That's why the sumo's never lived longer then the age 34, with some exclusions there might be older sumos died at age 40.

However, training and having a good eating habbit are healthy.
TBSC
As much as 25 pounds overweight has shown to have health benefits, as recent studies conclude. 30 pounds overweight is considered obese, although that sounds a little harsh.

The benefits of being up to 25 pounds overweight include longer lifespan and protection from diseases. This is especially true if by eating according to your natural appetite this is your natural bodyweight.

Being up to 25 pounds overweight does not contribute to cancer or heart disease:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/diet.fitness/11/06/weight.and.death.ap/

Of course, what goes into your mouth makes a difference! Smile
russel26
Thin is good... very fast to run,walk and health.. unless fat..fat is rapper pain most of fatter..
ajm71
It is interesting to me how everyone has a different view on obesity. The truth (to me) is that obesity is one of the top problems facing the US. More health problems can be attributed to obesity than any other outside factor. It plagues the young and old. I semi agree with the original post in that we should educate overweight people in the proper eating habits and how to be a smart "fat" person, but I don't think we should say that it is OK to be overweight. Have you ever noticed that obesity has some link to culture? America is probably the largest nation. We have sedentary lifestyles, eat food that is not only not good for you, but in gluttonous portions! Our dining habits have changed so much that some families could not own a refrigerator and never miss it except for the fact they would not be able to keep their leftovers cold from the restaurant they visited the night before! I think that this issue should be taken more seriously by the gov't and by people. At the end of the day, it is nobody's fault but your own that you ate 2 Big Macs. (Gets down off his soap box)

Best Regards,
AJM71

"Money is only a tool"