FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Overclocking

vrock
Hello people. I need a general guide as to how to overclock a graphics card or a processor. I know that cooling is important whenever overclocking a component. So I would like to know some tips about how to cool the component when it is overclocked. I believe that nitrogen cooling etc methods can not be applied by a person like me because it requires some expertise. So just share some easy tips that can be tried by an average person.
Helios
You really should try this search engine. It's really popular nowadays:
http://www.google.co.il/search?q=simple+overclocking+guide&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
ssthanapati
For better cooling u can try a bigger heatsink. Or can try those water cooling kits available in the market.

Most of the processors and graphics cards can b overclocked to some extent without the need of any extra measures. But more extreme overclocking needs cooling solutions
Helios
Actually, if it's not a Core 2 Duo/Quad processor, I wouldn't even try OCing with the stock heatsink on.
fiendskull9
i have been overclocking my graphics cards for awhile now, but my intel motherboard currently limits my processor overclocking

afaik, overclocking a processor on a good after-market motherboard (asus, abit, gigabyte, etc) can be done right in the bios

but like others mentioned, check google

theres ALOT of mod sites (i used to hang around them when i was doing my case mod) that are worth checking out
psycosquirrel
I'm a mod at a forum / Wiki entirely dedicated to overclocking. Check out our Wiki, you can find out anything you need to know there: www.overclockingwiki.org
fiendskull9
very nice

and a little off-topic

but YOU made surf_squirrel!?

i used to HATE that map

lol

-clay
riyadh
yeah...one thing to remember when u overclock something is cooling.try to buy cards with heatsinks rather than fans and water cooled cards are even better.most ASUS graphics cards can be overclocked...atleast mine can be.they normally provide u with the software to do the job.and always remember tht no matter how advanced ur cooling system is, be careful tht overclocking components can put ur hardware in danger.so do use it with caution.
psycosquirrel
fiendskull9 wrote:
very nice

and a little off-topic

but YOU made surf_squirrel!?

i used to HATE that map

lol

-clay

Yup, that was me. Hosties weren't my fault though.

I may start making maps again later this summer, I have two surf maps that are half-done Cool
Kelvin
If you are using any of the current well know overclocking friendly motherboards from say Asus or Abit, they have made overclocking very user friendly. The settings no longer have to be done via the BIOS since they have provided software for you to overclock via the computer console. Else you will still have to do it via the BIOS and this requires a bit more knowhow.

Overclocking has it's limits and depends much on the motherboard manufacturer itself. Generally you can overclock the CPU to 10% higher than the actual speed without any problem. Just keep track of the temperature. Also don't be impatient. U are advised to increase the FSB (correct me if i'm wrong as i've stopped overclocking my mobo for a while) 1 step at a time.

However the new overclokable mobos also have built-in fail safe overclocking so if you push it too high and it hangs, it will automatically reset to the default values without the need of you having to reset the CMOS on your mobo. Reading more on the internet would help before you start experimenting on yours... unless you already have all the overclocking functions available on your Windows console as mentioned above.
fiendskull9
Kelvin wrote:
If you are using any of the current well know overclocking friendly motherboards from say Asus or Abit, they have made overclocking very user friendly. The settings no longer have to be done via the BIOS since they have provided software for you to overclock via the computer console. Else you will still have to do it via the BIOS and this requires a bit more knowhow.

i thought software overclocking was dangerous on motherboards/cpu's?

maybe things have changed since i was researching (about 1-2 years ago)

-clay
psycosquirrel
It can be.

I would never overclock through ANYTHING but the BIOS...