FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


vBulletin/IPB forums..





mynameis
Okay why is vBulletin or IPB forums are strictly forbidden on Frihost?? I just want to know as I don't so please don't go banning me.
Scorpio
vBulletin and IPB are paid softwares costing over 300$. People who dont want to buy it, use cracked versions of the script. Cracked versions are illegal and frihost cant be involved with it

Also, people who come to a free host come here because they dont want to spend money or they cant spend money, so it is highly impossible that they would spend 300$ for such a script and use it at a free host
Hobbit
Yeah Scorpio said it. It's like arriving to get food stamps in a lamborghini.
Bondings
If you can prove to me that you purchased the software before putting it on your account, then I will allow it. And you would be the first.
Blaster
From all of my years working on free web hosts I've only seen one leagle vb script.
mynameis
nah i'm just curious as to why... I didn't think they were that expensive
Studio Madcrow
What if you want to use the antique freeware version of IPB, back before the authors got greedy and broke their promise to "keep IPB free forever"? Would that be allowed, or does it have exploits so big that it could be banned as a security risk?
Daniel15
Studio Madcrow wrote:
Would that be allowed, or does it have exploits so big that it could be banned as a security risk?

Definitely, I would never use that! Using it is basically asking to get hacked!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

I'd personally suggest SMF (www.simplemachines.org). It's one of the best (if not the best) free forum system, and is heaps better than that old IPB Very Happy
Blaster
or you could use phpbb3 that kind of has the feel of ipb and vb if you want.
Scorpio
Daniel15 wrote:


I'd personally suggest SMF (www.simplemachines.org). It's one of the best (if not the best) free forum system, and is heaps better than that old IPB Very Happy


Also because Daniel here is really proficient in churning out wonderful addons for SMF...

SMF is kind of heavy and adding mods to SMF except for the default theme is kind of a pain, for me atleast
tribe
I don't see why so many people want to use VB or IPB. I think PHPBB and SMF are very good message board's and people just need to learn the hacks and mods involved with them to make the best use out of them.

I'm surprised that you guys have really never seen proof to a purchase of VB or IPB. I guess most people who do have the money to buy those have the money to buy hosting as well.
Bockman
tribe wrote:
I'm surprised that you guys have really never seen proof to a purchase of VB or IPB. I guess most people who do have the money to buy those have the money to buy hosting as well.


We didn't say we haven't seen proof to a VB or IPB purchase.. What we DID say was that all of all the requests made for hosting one of those boards on Frihost, none ever passed the proof stage.
I've seen legal VB and IPB forums on lot's of places, but never on free hosts.

Be Well Cool
rightclickscott
Daniel15 wrote:
Studio Madcrow wrote:
Would that be allowed, or does it have exploits so big that it could be banned as a security risk?

Definitely, I would never use that! Using it is basically asking to get hacked!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

I'd personally suggest SMF (www.simplemachines.org). It's one of the best (if not the best) free forum system, and is heaps better than that old IPB Very Happy


Quoted for some serious truth.

I've only had some minor browser trouble with it before, otherwise, it's, quite possibly, the best forum system I've ever let my mouse carress.
LeeM
I actually have an IPB License Very Happy....but I have proper hosting for that Wink.

I need this hosting to test out the new RadiantBoard.
sYxJesters
Who do I contact for permission to use IPB? I'd like to use it (i'm serious =P).


Edit: Ok, contacted somebody, thanks Very Happy
LeeM
You have to contact Bondings I believe, but if you do actually own a license I would advise that you take screenshots of your Client Area as proof.
James007
This matter is being handled now. Smile

@leeM: "proper" hosting? There is a big difference between paid hosting and proper hosting. Proper hosting... pff.
rvec
Blaster wrote:
or you could use phpbb3 that kind of has the feel of ipb and vb if you want.

I don't think using a release candidate would be a very good idea. You should keep working with phpBB2 until the full release is out.

phpbb.com wrote:
We encourage only those running the release candidate wanting to test out the new version, it is still recommended to wait for the full release; after all this is a release candidate.
LeeM
James007 wrote:
This matter is being handled now. Smile

@leeM: "proper" hosting? There is a big difference between paid hosting and proper hosting. Proper hosting... pff.


Yea sorry, paid hosting then Razz. I have heard that frihost is better than some paid hosts Wink.
James007
And the first Frihost IPB forum is a fact.
Blaster
LeeM wrote:
I actually have an IPB License Very Happy....but I have proper hosting for that Wink.

I need this hosting to test out the new RadiantBoard.


Yea i saw your post on that board. Smile

Its a great system.
[FuN]goku
ive tried ipb at one point and hated it... its too big features wise... which is why i didnt like it. same as phpbb3 its got alot more features and takes longer to configure.. however vBulliten isnt too bad but... still has alot of features...
m-productions
THe first IPB forum on firhost ... lol, i was just about to post in here saying i wish at least one person was able to prove it..and well, there we go!
neji
So now you have to be aware of the fact tha tsome people will start a business for selling e-mails from v-bulettin wich say that you are the owner of an VB version and so you can "prove" you can use VB on frihost?

Ok, now the next stap!

Some people will now start a business for selling VB e-mails wich says that you have purchased an VB version.

NOW GET VB ON FRIHOST FOR ONLY 10$
m-productions
ummmm what? theres more than just an e-mail saying that you have bought it......
noobcola
Just use phpbb or another free forum software. You don't really need a hardcore vB or IPB.
mathiaus
Question answered (long time ago in fact!).
-close-
Related topics
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.