FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Metallica's New Album

vrock
Metallica's yet-to-be-titled ninth studio album is planned to be released by early 2008.
Metallica has written about 25 songs for its ninth studio effort and is now concentrating on trimming that list to one album's worth of material, which it will begin recording in January. Drummer Lars Ulrich told us that the band's summer European tour, on which Metallica played its classic 1986 album Master of Puppets in its entirety, paved the way for the sound of the new album.
So it is going to be as good as Master Of Puppets. I can't wait to get my hands on this album!
Twisted Evil
Helios
After Kill 'Em All, Metallica are just rolling down from the top of the hill, if you ask me.
gtherockgod
vrock wrote:

So it is going to be as good as Master Of Puppets. I can't wait to get my hands on this album!
Twisted Evil

Well, I don't know if i'd go that far. But I do hope it'll be a decent throwback to their earlier days. St Anger made a lot of people give up entirely on them.
jabronie25
Kirk Hammett stated that its the best Metallica album in the past 15 years, so it might be good.

Rob said that 13 songs might be in the album.

Well i read that from past interviews
Nutteloos
I hope this isn't the kind of 'new' Saint Anger was. Boy, that was a letdown.
jabronie25
I also want to add

Trujillo said in an interview that the 2 new songs that were played live last year, might not make it into the album.
mattchun
They are too old and out-of-date I think.
Sickness
Quote:
After Kill 'Em All, Metallica are just rolling down from the top of the hill, if you ask me.

+ 100000 Mr. Green

I can't stand their last albums, specially Sant Anger.
Rosanova
Hi there,

I'm quit sure when I say that about this Napster thing that Metallica was doing for a couple of years ago, was the most stupid thing that Metallica ever had done, as it did mark Metallica as a pure commercial s**t like many others and not like the underground as they was at Kill 'em All and Ride the lightning days.l

So how ever Metallica are that brilliant musicans as they are, has Metallica lost my vote and support forever, and I don't care what they are doing in the future, as it doesn't matter.

Cheers!
kimmen
i Love metallica, and Dope, and meny more, i listening to Bandit 106.3 thats my favourite radio station, cheers
achene
Well - those songs they have played from it isn't very good.

But of cause i hope that the album will be a lot better

- Achene
LimpFish
St Anger is a freakin awesome album! More of a step up from their earlier albums than a step down! Seriously people, time to realize! Their early albums were ok, but St Anger is way better! The sound on that album is just incredible, such as the arrangments too! Light years better than their old mossy not original at all albums!
Nutteloos
LimpFish wrote:
St Anger is a freakin awesome album! More of a step up from their earlier albums than a step down! Seriously people, time to realize! Their early albums were ok, but St Anger is way better! The sound on that album is just incredible, such as the arrangments too! Light years better than their old mossy not original at all albums!

I think some people might not have realized, but LimpFish was obviously being sarcastic here.

Just to avoid the upcoming flames... Smile
Bengt
I saw them play 3 days ago in Werchter and they were pretty good actually.
They said 'We're coming back next year, with our new album, and our 6th show here (= next year) will be the best'

So it will be pretty good me thinks Very Happy
tidruG
You know, to be perfectly honest, I believe Master of Puppets and ...And Justice For All were their best 2 albums. The biggest let-downs for me were "Load" and "ReLoad". As for St. Anger, I don't understand why the hatred. Sure, it doesn't have any leads/solos, but admittedly, it's better than Load.

And just out of curiosity, have many of you heard St.Anger more than a few times? I've found that the more I listen to some of the songs off that album, the more I like the raw sound of the drums.

As for the new album, I hope to hell it has some of those awesome leads as MOP did, although realistically I expect them now to be too old to be able to play as well/as fast as they did on ...And Justice For All.
tallicagallery
For me , tha last album doesn´t exist.I gonna wait for the new album,hoping that the band realize how good the play and don´t do something like st anger never again...
Arseniy
Well, let's see.
As for me I like st.anger, so I want to listen to new album as quick as possible.
tidruG
Arseniy wrote:
As for me I like st.anger, so I want to listen to new album as quick as possible.

Well, at least one person who likes St. Anger apart from me. Don't you miss having guitar solos/leads though?
mullacy
Chiming in as another St Anger fan. How can you hate The Unnamed Feeling? Most of the tracks are fairly solid, and its sound is a nice departure from standard metal. I can live with no solos if the groove and riffs are good. Sure it's no puppets or ride the lightening but then what is?

I saw on ultimate-guitar a while ago that Kirk said a 'middle eastern' sound was creeping into the music. .. something like a reflection of the times. Quietly optimistic here... but very quietly.
tidruG
A middle eastern sound in Metal... hmm... I wonder what that means, I seriously do.
And I agree with you -
Quote:
I can live with no solos if the groove and riffs are good. Sure it's no puppets or ride the lightening but then what is?

I would, however, like some nice solos in the new album. But for me, I've always been a fan of the riffs on MOP and ...AJFA and those earlier albums. Of course, the amazing riffs more-or-less disappeared from The Black Album onwards.
achene
I hope that it will be good - not like that st. anger stuff..

But i honestly can't imagine it being as good as puppets and such.

James has lost his voice, and kirks guitar playing is deffinately not my style anymore - way too much wahwah.

- Achene
yasaki
Helios wrote:

Hell no man Shocked

Master Of Puppets is one of the greatest in the history of music.
Btw, I have all albums except for live ones and Garage Inc.

Can't wait for this one.
datter
I think Metallica has been trundling downhill since the Enter Sandman days. The Black Album was great mind you, for what it was, but I think that was around the time they started getting... popular? Not sure that's the word I want... maybe more... mainstream? Something like that. There was a point where they stopped being an angry heavy metal band because that's what they were... and became an angry heavy metal band because that's what people expected them to be. they fought back against it a bit (remember the hair/make up) but it didn't sit well. in the end, they're pigeon holed into a spot of their own making and I get the feeling they've all "grown up"... but have no where to grow to.

I saw them at Live Earth on TV recently, and it really just wasn't the same as the old days at all.

Sad but true... indeed.
LimpFish
I totally love St Anger, as I just said, so I really look forward to the new album! I love the "dirty", "raw" sound of St Anger! They have a lot of good songs on their old albums too, but St Anger really makes them something else than a "has been"-band! Im excited for the next album!
mattchun
What a long life band! Their first album was before Gun N' Roses' first one, but where is GNR now?
bri4n5
IMHO Saint Anger was a crap. I hope this album change that, to recover our Metallica of 90's
roxys_art
I personally liked St. Anger. It was different and more raw than any of their other albums: the sound of the drums and the vocal trackings specifically sounded raw. I kind of liked it. You can also tell that when James is singing, he means what he is saying. He was going through a very difficult time, and I feel to him at least, the making of this album was more therapeutic than anything.

I guess I don't know why people complain about this album because "there are no solos in it and it does not sound like any of their previous albums." My question is this: why would you want to buy an album from a band year after year that sounds consistently the same? It is similar to what TOOL has been experiencing lately. They released a new album and everyone is complaining that they "sold out", "lost their chemistry together", or the "album sucks" because their new album does not sound like their older album Lateralus. Why would I want it to sound like Lateralus? If I wanted to listen to Lateralus, I would listen to Lateralus. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Anyway, I kind of got off subject, but I must say that I am excited to hear Metallica's new album. Should be interesting.
pathtotake
well everyone is entitled to thier opinions but im pretty confident that st. anger was a decent album just with crappy drums.
i mean.. was it as bad as load and reload? in my opinion no. load and reload were their worst albums. i mean, most of that was country music...

im not entirely sure that thier new music is going to even come close to master of puppets.

when bands get older they tend to loose thier creativity. i think this is what happened to metallica.

but some would say that bands just evolve and their fans stay the same.

im not sure if that made sense.
TheHigherClass
but do they still produce they are a old band inform me please some one.
tingkagol
Most bands that regress will most likely end up putting out a crappy album. Sorry.

Their biggest mistake was to stop what they had going on with load/reload. It wasn't their best albums, but they were definitely evolving. Many Metallica fans hated load/reload, and this was enough to compell them to "go back to their roots". They were scared about what their fans thought.

"Going back to their roots" ---- this spells nothing but a bad emulation of past work. Remember St. Anger? Wasn't that also another try at the sound of Master of Puppets? That album just DEAD SUCKED.
LimpFish
St Anger has crappy drums? Get outta here, I love the drums on St Anger! Ulrich is so freakin good! I could never play those drums now matter how much I tried!
tidruG
I don't think it's the actual drumming that people are complaining about. Rather, the way they sound.
But I personally love the way they sound, and also liked the drumming. The cymbals sounded really good because of their raw sound, I thought.
I would, however, have liked for the snare on "The Unnamed Feeling" to be a little more prominent.
tingkagol
LimpFish wrote:
St Anger has crappy drums? Get outta here, I love the drums on St Anger! Ulrich is so freakin good! I could never play those drums now matter how much I tried!

Sorry, but Lars is probably the most predictable drummer there ever is. He's not creative, and he's definitely not technically skilled.
Sickness
tingkagol wrote:
LimpFish wrote:

Sorry, but Lars is probably the most predictable drummer there ever is. He's not creative, and he's definitely not technically skilled.

That's fine for people who want to play Metallica songs with the drums Mr. Green

...guitar players are not so lucky
Nutteloos
It's just that the drums on St. Anger have a totally different sound than anything before that, and the fans have trouble adapting to it. That, and the total absence of creativity, but that could just be me - in my opinion they should have just continued on the way they went with Load/Reload...

But then again, Kill 'em All has to be my second-least-favorite album from them so I may be alone here.
LimpFish
dude I also love the sounds of the drums! The rawness is what I love about the whole production of the album! It's just so raw and powerful! I hope the next album will go in the same direction as St Anger! Cant wait for it if it does! Smile
kizarop
I miss Kirk's guitar solos, personally I think st. anger is something between nu-metal/trash.
eletromaio
the new album is OUT of thrash metal! Mad
ExplicitRyan
I'd have to say OLD Metallica is great, new metallica Confused still deciding, it's not as good as it used to be especially St.Anger, that was a real dissapointment, ever seen the Music vid for it? The prisoners look like they're bored out of their minds, as if they're saying "wtf is this? Please just put us back in our cells and get rid of this shit."
Rosanova
Hi there,

Just to make this clear! Since the "Black Album" do I not trust Metallica any more, and regarding the upcoming album is it still the same.

I know that we can't officially discuss piracy here, but I did made that crime and I didn't regret as much I would have if I had bought this album.

I do now know the reason about Metallica's war against file sharing. The reason is just like so that they fear that their fans realize that Metallica is just a brand for what they was once upon the time.

If you would like to hear some Metallica sound, then go Megadeth as Dave Mustaine never betray his fans, and they don't betray him.

I've bought Megadeth latest, United Abominations, and I really don't regret.

Cheers!
liljp617
I'll never understand why people are always saying, "man, bands are too alike and similar and they never change their music...gets boring." Then, those same people condemn all the bands that attempt to try something new, to experiment with their sound. Obviously, St. Anger wasn't the highest quality album, and Metallica has definitely done better. But it's not like it was the most terrible album ever made in the history of music. It simply had a different sound and a different methodology behind it. I'm not defending it, I would much rather they played like they used to, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with a highly successful band trying to change up their sound and have fun with the music. Most bands can't play the same music for 30 years without changing it at all and still be successful (only very few come to mind).
smspno
If it ain't like the previous album "St. Anger", I will definitely buy it! I hope it will be worth the money... Smile
ramgottwallpapers
The New Album is named Death Magnetic!

ZzZ_AluCarD_ZzZ
They are coming in my city in France soon! I hope you're all jealous! Wink
liljp617
This is their last shot in all reality. People are fed up with them and if this album is bad it's simply proof that Metallica died with Cliff Burton. I mean, I still like them and there's no doubt they're great musicians, but they've lost something over the years (obviously they lost their thrash influence). But hopefully they can bring it back to the old days a bit on this new album and make something of it. I think all the hate from people for really no reason is a bit silly and just people jumping on a bandwagon saying they dislike something cause others say it.
tidruG
Quote:
People are fed up with them and if this album is bad it's simply proof that Metallica died with Cliff Burton.
St. Anger still sold millions of copies, despite how bad people said it was.
The bottom line is that there is no "last shot" for Metallica. They may lose some fans by playing a certain style of music, but they will gain others. I've liked almost all of Metallica's albums. I like the Cliff Burton and "...And Justice For All" albums the best because they're just spectacular, in my opinion. At the same time, I loved a lot of songs off "ReLoad" and "Load" as well. And no matter what people say, I really liked "St. Anger" as well, more or less. It was a return to their old form of complex song structes instead of short songs. Yes, I do admit that I miss the guitar solos, but I hear they're back in the new Metallica album.

All in all, I can't wait to hear it,
liljp617
tidruG wrote:
Quote:
People are fed up with them and if this album is bad it's simply proof that Metallica died with Cliff Burton.
St. Anger still sold millions of copies, despite how bad people said it was.

Any band with Metallica's past is going to hit huge record sales regardless of what they put out. I thought St. Anger was fine (obviously Metallica has done and can do better). I would say a large amount of their record sales came in before a lot of reviews and public opinion spread on the state of the album, however. I never look at record sales to see the quality of the music/band/artist. Those numbers are irrelevant when people like Soulja Boy, 50 Cent, Backstreet Boys, etc. sale millions upon millions of albums.

tidruG wrote:
The bottom line is that there is no "last shot" for Metallica. They may lose some fans by playing a certain style of music, but they will gain others. I've liked almost all of Metallica's albums. I like the Cliff Burton and "...And Justice For All" albums the best because they're just spectacular, in my opinion. At the same time, I loved a lot of songs off "ReLoad" and "Load" as well. And no matter what people say, I really liked "St. Anger" as well, more or less. It was a return to their old form of complex song structes instead of short songs. Yes, I do admit that I miss the guitar solos, but I hear they're back in the new Metallica album.

All in all, I can't wait to hear it,

Not necessarily a last shot, but there are a lot of people who have faith that they'll put out an amazing album...and I think that faith is dwindling to the point where if they don't have a pretty spectacular album soon they're going to get tons more criticism from way more people.

Also, I'd say they've lost a lot of fans, not just some. They haven't put out an amazing album in a while along with all the downloading/Napster issues they forced...a lot of people's opinions of them have gone down the hole. Many people are getting to the point that they're saying Metallica is overrated just because they had some incredible albums in their early years and haven't lived up to it in more recent years.

To be honest, I think much of their fate lies in Kirk's hands. He's going to have to lose the wah pedal and really show people that he can compose and play like he did back in the day. Without that killer guitar shredding and amazing riffs/rhythm playing, Metallica just isn't Metallica.

I'll buy anything they put out to be honest, these are just observations of my own that I've noticed browsing guitar and music forums.
tidruG
Quote:
Any band with Metallica's past is going to hit huge record sales regardless of what they put out. I thought St. Anger was fine (obviously Metallica has done and can do better). I would say a large amount of their record sales came in before a lot of reviews and public opinion spread on the state of the album, however. I never look at record sales to see the quality of the music/band/artist. Those numbers are irrelevant when people like Soulja Boy, 50 Cent, Backstreet Boys, etc. sale millions upon millions of albums.
I agree with you, but that wasn't necessarily my point. How many copies an album sells sometimes has no bearing on how good it is. Having said that, what I'm saying is that if it sold close to 2 million copies, then there must be at least 2 million people who liked it. As for when it sold, I don't know, but I don't think a majority of people would not have read or heard any review about it at all before buying it. In fact, Rolling Stone gave it 4/5.

Quote:
Not necessarily a last shot, but there are a lot of people who have faith that they'll put out an amazing album...and I think that faith is dwindling to the point where if they don't have a pretty spectacular album soon they're going to get tons more criticism from way more people.
Yeah, again I agree. And again, what I said before is the same. There may be a number of people who might not like what Metallica put out now, but for most fans they lose, they will probably gain new ones who like the new direction Metallica's going in (if at all they're going in a new direction at all).

Quote:
I'll buy anything they put out to be honest, these are just observations of my own that I've noticed browsing guitar and music forums.
I kinda understood that. Metallica-bashing is much in fashion nowadays. It's cooler to go Megadeth than Metallica. To be honest though, I think Mustaine should sew his lips together so that we no longer have to hear that horrible rasp he calls his voice.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the new album a lot. I've heard that it's much faster than St. Anger, and guitar solos are back, and stuff... Well, it's due September, isn't it?
gladius1978
I hope Lars is right by saying that Master of Puppets was the album that paved the way for this new album because the last 3 studio albums sucked!!! Load and Re-Load terrible....St. Anger....better than the latter but still pretty bad...just a crappy attempt to go back to being heavy but with no melody.

If Lars is right this album should be great seeing that Master of Puppets is there best album, closely followed by Ride the Lightning. Looking forward to it. Twisted Evil
Nutteloos
I'm definitely going to give the album a chance, but I'm not putting my hopes up too high. Didn't they use similar wording when St. Anger whas in the making?
ramgottwallpapers
Here are the song titles in the running order . . .

That Was Just Your Life
The End Of The Line
Broken, Beat & Scarred
The Day That Never Comes
All Nightmare Long
Cyanide
The Unforgiven III Dancing
The Judas Kiss
Suicide & Redemption
My Apocalypse
LimpFish
hopefully it will be in the same style as st anger which is one of their best albums! Smile i love the raw sound it has! when is it coming out?? i want it nooow
Nutteloos
I'm definitely putting my hopes up now...

It's looking good so far, which is, well... good. Smile
roxys_art
Early 2008, eh? Well, 2008 is quickly going out the window and I have yet to see a new album from Metallica. I can wait, but I am very excited to see what direction they have gone. I wasn't a huge fan of St. Anger, but I also didn't hate it. It was just different. I think when bands try to change things up, it's a good thing, even if the change wasn't all that successful. If I wanted the band to sound like an older album, I would buy that album. It doesn't make sense to me why people always want a band's sound to stay the same, and then when it does stay the same, they bitch about them not being original.

Bands can't win!
liljp617
roxys_art wrote:
Early 2008, eh? Well, 2008 is quickly going out the window and I have yet to see a new album from Metallica. I can wait, but I am very excited to see what direction they have gone. I wasn't a huge fan of St. Anger, but I also didn't hate it. It was just different. I think when bands try to change things up, it's a good thing, even if the change wasn't all that successful. If I wanted the band to sound like an older album, I would buy that album. It doesn't make sense to me why people always want a band's sound to stay the same, and then when it does stay the same, they bitch about them not being original.

Bands can't win!

Last date put out was mid-September, but release date hasn't been officially made yet. The official track list has been released already so it shouldn't be long.
Afaceinthematrix
I can't wait until it comes out. Metallica is an awesome band. A lot of people think that they've gone down hill since the 80's, and they have a little, but they're still near the top of the hill!
pathit
They are coming near my hometown in switzerland soon! I hope you're all jealous!
Greets Pat
liljp617
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
I can't wait until it comes out. Metallica is an awesome band. A lot of people think that they've gone down hill since the 80's, and they have a little, but they're still near the top of the hill!

Razz They've gone downhill A LOT, but that happens with age and they all stopped drinking so...

Not to take anything away from them...they're still incredible. Kirk just doesn't match up to Mustaine in terms of writing and it's hard to make up for that when Mustaine's playing was such a pivotal aspect of the band.
ramgottwallpapers
The Last Piece Of The Puzzle

The Wait has done, James Hetfield and company were had give the last piece of this Magnetic Puzzle.

Death Magentic have release date will be this September 12 when we can listen Metallica's New Material.

After 2 years waiting The Day Has Come.

LimpFish
perfect, Im coming back to Sweden sept 4, just in time to get the cd then! Very Happy I really hope its gonna be like St Anger, because it is sooo much better than their older albums!
tidruG
[quote="liljp617"]
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Not to take anything away from them...they're still incredible. Kirk just doesn't match up to Mustaine in terms of writing and it's hard to make up for that when Mustaine's playing was such a pivotal aspect of the band.

I think Mustaine writes good enough riffs and leads, but Metallica's most famous songs are from their post-Mustaine era.
Besides, the riffs and leads on Puppets and Justice are awesome.
liljp617
[quote="tidruG"]
liljp617 wrote:
Afaceinthematrix wrote:

I think Mustaine writes good enough riffs and leads, but Metallica's most famous songs are from their post-Mustaine era.
Besides, the riffs and leads on Puppets and Justice are awesome.

Mustaine co-wrote a pretty good amount of songs on Kill Em All, MoP, and Ride the Lightning. Kirk used a lot of already existing Mustaine solos and just changed them a bit. Justice was a good album, but Kirk has been very hit and miss in his writing. He has some great writing in The Unforgiven songs, Fade to Black, One, and so on, but his good writing is a minority to his fairly bad, unoriginal writing. I think Kirk used to be a hell of a lot better back in the day when he first came into Metallica. Now he just kind of rehashes old stuff, plays the same scales, and drowns it in wah.

Like I said, I'm a fan of Kirk and there's no doubt he's a pretty damn good player. However, I don't think he would be known half as much as he is now if it weren't for Metallica. Obviously it takes skill to get into a band like Metallica, so props to him. Hopefully he can grab the reigns on the new album and really surprise me Razz
jcvincent75
I do hope it's not like St. Anger. Let's give it a try. After all, they're Metallica.
ramgottwallpapers
The First Single From Death Magnetic is released check out this!

The Day That Never Come Live Premiere Leeds Festival

http://mx.youtube.com/watch?v=2GSWVXHbG0U
LimpFish
i havent heard the new single yet. can someone describe what it's like? what album/song does it remind you the most of? cant wait to hear it! Smile
liljp617
It's all over youtube =/ Takes all of 3 seconds to look it up!
LimpFish
hehe dont know why i thought of that Rolling Eyes
Jaggo
Didn't we hear something back in the beginning of the 2000s about Metallica dying in a freak accident?

And the management replacing the band members with look-alike robots?
liljp617
Jaggo wrote:
Didn't we hear something back in the beginning of the 2000s about Metallica dying in a freak accident?

And the management replacing the band members with look-alike robots?

No?
Nutteloos
Probably... people tell the weirdedst stories - if you can think of it, it's highly unlikely you're the first one. Wink
LimpFish
i havent listened to the new album myself, but most people i talk to that have, are pretty disappointed. i dont understand why they'd change producer now, I think that was a bad move. But then again, hard to top St Anger!
liljp617
LimpFish wrote:
i havent listened to the new album myself, but most people i talk to that have, are pretty disappointed. i dont understand why they'd change producer now, I think that was a bad move. But then again, hard to top St Anger!

People are disappointed because they want the Metallica of MoP and Ride the Lightning. Anyone who assumes they'll make another album close to that doesn't really deserve to be around other people without supervision (ie they're damn stupid).

They're also disappointed because Lars wouldn't shut the hell up about how amazing the album would be (as he always does). He always gets people's hopes up and then when the album is decent or a little above average it doesn't meet people's expectations. Personally, with the exception of a 1-2 songs and a couple solos here and there, the album is solid and fine.
votd
Listened to the Death Magnetic a few days ago. And I must mark - I'm not a big Metallica fan, but I feel something new while listening to this album. Yeah, it's not the same raw metallica as it was a decade ago, but it's still the same.

Album is well-done, but it starts get boring after Unforgiven III song. It sounds like all the songs are similiar to each other. Well, the album is at least well-composed, but it easily gets bored.
LimpFish
what about the sound quality? Ive heard several people and newspapers complain that the actual quality of the sound is really a letdown. if that's true it's really embarassing coming from a band like metallica who really has the resources to make high-end sound quality on their tracks.
liljp617
LimpFish wrote:
what about the sound quality? Ive heard several people and newspapers complain that the actual quality of the sound is really a letdown. if that's true it's really embarassing coming from a band like metallica who really has the resources to make high-end sound quality on their tracks.

Yeah the sound quality isn't that great. James' voice is way too low and the overall sound could be better. It's not really their fault, it's the producers.
LimpFish
thats scandalous that it can happen! freakin homeproduced music is better than that! and metallica is one of the world's biggest bands. I am disappointed!
roxys_art
I haven't had a chance to pick up the CD yet, nor have I been able to listen to all of the songs. However, the one song I did hear was not good. I wasn't impressed by it at all.

I think Metallica may want to just give it up while they still have some credibility left. They just don't have it anymore. They lost what makes them Metallica, and this shines through on their CDs.
LimpFish
actually, i listened to some of one of the tracks, since my brother bought the cd, and I cannot say that I found the sound quality to be bad at all. maybe it's different from track to track. but what i heard definitely had as high quality as one would expect from metallica.
RosenCruz
death magnetic is a turnback in metallica career....to the end of 80's ....the album sounds harder and better..after the st.anger disaster this album sounds like a miracle...except lars ulrich...i thinh he lost all his ability to write partitions and play drums....this nice album could be much more better with some other drummer..
tidruG
At first, I thought the sound quality was just bad in the version I had, but turns out that a lot of people noticed it. What could have been a really awesome album turned out not to be (for me) just because of the sound quality. I mean, Master of Puppets, released in the '80s, sounds better than Death Magnetic, released in 2008.
LimpFish
tidruG wrote:
At first, I thought the sound quality was just bad in the version I had, but turns out that a lot of people noticed it. What could have been a really awesome album turned out not to be (for me) just because of the sound quality. I mean, Master of Puppets, released in the '80s, sounds better than Death Magnetic, released in 2008.

to be honest, I think people complaining about the sound quality mix up sound quality with the actual different "sounds" different bands try to create. master of puppets has a really old sound to it, and I guess Metallica, as it should, wants to not make 80s music in 2008, and therefore has created a more modern sound, which sounds great, really raw and aggressive.

If you dont like the new sound, fine, but to say the sound QUALITY is bad, is just a stupid statement. Just as it would be stupid for Metallica to make a cd that has 80s sound to it in 2008.
tidruG
LimpFish wrote:
tidruG wrote:

to be honest, I think people complaining about the sound quality mix up sound quality with the actual different "sounds" different bands try to create. master of puppets has a really old sound to it, and I guess Metallica, as it should, wants to not make 80s music in 2008, and therefore has created a more modern sound, which sounds great, really raw and aggressive.

If you dont like the new sound, fine, but to say the sound QUALITY is bad, is just a stupid statement. Just as it would be stupid for Metallica to make a cd that has 80s sound to it in 2008.

My friend, don't treat me like a kid. I know what I'm talking about. I know the difference between SOUND and SOUND QUALITY.
Perhaps you haven't read the reviews of this album or maybe you just don't have the ear to differentiate a clean production from a noisy one, but here are some links...read through them or just google a search for "Death Magnetic Sound Quality":

http://blog.wired.com/music/2008/09/does-metallicas.html
http://mastering-media.blogspot.com/2008/09/metallica-death-magnetic-sounds-better.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metallica%27s_ninth_studio_album#Criticism_regarding_production
http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2008/09/18/fans-complain-after-death-magnetic-sounds-better-on-guitar-hero-than-cd/
http://www.metacritic.com/music/artists/metallica/deathmagnetic
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/showreview.aspx?reviewID=1492
http://www.gigwise.com/news/46330/metallica-defend-death-magnetic-sound-quality
liljp617
LimpFish wrote:
actually, i listened to some of one of the tracks, since my brother bought the cd, and I cannot say that I found the sound quality to be bad at all. maybe it's different from track to track. but what i heard definitely had as high quality as one would expect from metallica.

The quality is fine by me. I don't expect beautiful quality from a metal band trying to play thrash...actually, I prefer it to be kind of "noisy." It's just the sound levels aren't so great. James' vocals definitely need to be louder or the other stuff needs to be turned down.

LimpFish wrote:
tidruG wrote:

Then I guess just about every person critiquing the album is making a stupid statement when they say the sound could be better. It's not that difficult to recognize that the sound levels aren't that great and the quality could be better. Obviously, Metallica was aiming for this sound or they wouldn't have released an album like this, but it doesn't play well to most people who play music or have a good ear.
tidruG
Quote:
The quality is fine by me. I don't expect beautiful quality from a metal band trying to play thrash...actually, I prefer it to be kind of "noisy." It's just the sound levels aren't so great. James' vocals definitely need to be louder or the other stuff needs to be turned down.

Well, in my opinion, I don't think that being a trash metal band should excuse an album from having good sound quality, especially not if the band in question has the financial backing to sound good. As I said in an earlier post, Master of Puppets had a not-too-bad sound quality. Death Magnetic just tries to be too loud, ends up sounding harsh. I would have liked it to be a little cleaner so that Kirk's solos would have sounded better, for example. Also, you're right about James not being loud enough.

Quote:
Obviously, Metallica was aiming for this sound or they wouldn't have released an album like this, but it doesn't play well to most people who play music or have a good ear.

Actually, what I read somewhere was that generally Metallica are around when the album is mixed. However, this time around, they were not around, and the album was mixed in their absence. I don't remember where I read it, but I think it ought to be one of those links I gave in my reply to LimpFish.
liljp617
=/ Pretty interesting. Seems odd they wouldn't be around during the actual production.

It's also surprising to me that their quality isn't as perfect as it can be with a producer as good as Rick Rubin.
tidruG
liljp617 wrote:
=/ Pretty interesting. Seems odd they wouldn't be around during the actual production.

It's also surprising to me that their quality isn't as perfect as it can be with a producer as good as Rick Rubin.

Well, believe it or not, Rick Rubin doesn't do much of the actual production.

Quote:
The album will have Rick Rubin's name on it as producer, but I'm taking this opportunity to call bullshit on that. Rick Rubin, as great as some of his accomplishments have been (like the magnificent records he did with JOHNNY CASH), does not "produce" bands. By many accounts, he encourages them to find something within themselves, and does a good job at that, but then he leaves, entrusting the day-to-day work to loyal engineers on his payroll — in this case, Greg Fidelman.

You can call it a scam — and a guy who runs a record label yet doesn't even have an office there sounds like a scam to me — or you can call it some kind of higher spiritual level of working with an artist. The proof is the final results, and the results here suggest that Rubin pushed the band toward something without fully understanding what it was they wanted. And then he left.

This is from a Blabbermouth review:
LimpFish
tidruG wrote:
LimpFish wrote:
tidruG wrote:

My friend, don't treat me like a kid. I know what I'm talking about. I know the difference between SOUND and SOUND QUALITY.
Perhaps you haven't read the reviews of this album or maybe you just don't have the ear to differentiate a clean production from a noisy one, but here are some links...read through them or just google a search for "Death Magnetic Sound Quality":

http://blog.wired.com/music/2008/09/does-metallicas.html
http://mastering-media.blogspot.com/2008/09/metallica-death-magnetic-sounds-better.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metallica%27s_ninth_studio_album#Criticism_regarding_production
http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2008/09/18/fans-complain-after-death-magnetic-sounds-better-on-guitar-hero-than-cd/
http://www.metacritic.com/music/artists/metallica/deathmagnetic
http://www.gigwise.com/news/46330/metallica-defend-death-magnetic-sound-quality

I have no intention of treating you as a kid. Im just saying that you and everyone else that keeps complaining about the sound "quality" seem to oversee the fact that a trashy sound with lower "quality" in some aspects might actually be what they wanted. That you and other people assume that it was not intentional bugs me. I think it very well might be. But, as we say in Sweden, taste is like the butt, split in half.
kinggward
Benatar has been lyrically becoming an overachiever, burrowing to the absolute depths of her heart and generating warm psychological arrangements. Females are not susceptible to mountain with lyrically aware remarks that can be sensed as well as observed.