FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Getting started

Wenlow
I have access to the control panel - now what?

I have looked around the forum and all questions seem to begin above my level. I know I am supposed to use something to upload files and pics so I can see them on my webpage. But how?

Could someone please direct me to a step by step guide that doesn't begin with assuming I know anything?

Thanks
RiCtee
You're in the right place then. Very Happy Have you made any web pages or learned about it before (HTML and stuff)?? Well basically you need to create files (.htm or .html for a web page or you can also put images to show) and upload them to a folder called public_html. You can do that when you login to DirectAdmin.

If you have no experience in that then I suggest you use a CMS (Content Management System) such as Joomla or if you want something like a blog then go for WordPress. There is no coding required if you use it (in a rough sense). Basically they do everything for you, all you need is to add your content. Keep in mind that there are many more other CMS out there.

Any questions feel free to ask.
Wenlow
Thanks for that - I'll check out what you recommend.

But I'm not clear what you mean by upload to public_html. I have used the file manager to place files in this folder, but nothing shows up on the webpage. Why?

How do you create html files? Is there a basic guide I can look at?
Bockman
Wenlow you can start here:

http://www.make-a-web-site.com/

It has a detailed information on how to do almost everything.

You should start on the text part in the index.

Be Well Cool
Wenlow
Looks great. I'll work my way through that.

Thanks