FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Blogging

beaglette
I am wanting to use my site for blogging and I want to use custom templates? What's the best bet?

I know that wordpress.org is software and can be installed on a server. Can I do that here?

Also, I know that some servers already have wordpress installed? Does this happen to be one of those servers?

Is it difficult to install wordpress? I tried on an old webhosting account and it never worked. Then install4free was supposed to install it for me but they never did. Grr.

I am currently using blogger.com but I want to use my domain name. I have my domain name specified in blogger.com but for some reason, it is pointing to an entirely different blog, no matter what I do.

Help. I just want to blog Smile

Thanks!
Scorpio
beaglette wrote:
I am wanting to use my site for blogging and I want to use custom templates? What's the best bet?

I know that wordpress.org is software and can be installed on a server. Can I do that here?

Also, I know that some servers already have wordpress installed? Does this happen to be one of those servers?

Is it difficult to install wordpress? I tried on an old webhosting account and it never worked. Then install4free was supposed to install it for me but they never did. Grr.

I am currently using blogger.com but I want to use my domain name. I have my domain name specified in blogger.com but for some reason, it is pointing to an entirely different blog, no matter what I do.

Help. I just want to blog Smile

Thanks!

You can use your site to run a blog here. Templates are available for free as in the case of wordpress.
Wordpress can be installed here.

The wordpress install is very simple and if you are unable to do it, some people here may do it for a few frih$ or for free

Wordpress is not preinstalled on this server nor is there any autoinstall feature

It is not difficult to install wordpress. As i said, it is one of the simplest installs among all web software
beaglette
I'm not exactly tech or computer illiterate but, I have no idea why on earth I couldn't get it installed on 1and1 Sad

Any insight? Or does anyone know of any problem-specific issues with wordpress and 1and1?

Another thing I'm a bit confused about . . . once I install the wordpress software, how do I access an account? Do I then sign up on wordpress.com?

Thanks in advance!

PS. Anyone willing to do an install for me? Smile
Scorpio
I can do an install for you if you want to.. PM me for details

The spam blocker Akismet comes preloaded with Wordpress.. To activate that you need an API key. To get that you should signup at http://wordpress.com/signup/

Once you install wordpress, the account is automatically created here.. Signup with wordpress.com is needed only for the API key..
saratdear
beaglette wrote:
I'm not exactly tech or computer illiterate but, I have no idea why on earth I couldn't get it installed on 1and1 Sad

Any insight? Or does anyone know of any problem-specific issues with wordpress and 1and1?

Another thing I'm a bit confused about . . . once I install the wordpress software, how do I access an account? Do I then sign up on wordpress.com?

Thanks in advance!

PS. Anyone willing to do an install for me? Smile

I had installed Wordpress before, and from my memory, after the installation is over, Wordpress gives you a random password. It is important not to lose it. Then visit the log in page, which is usually {your domain)/{the directory which you installed in}/wp-login.php , I think.

I don't have a great experience installing Wordpress, but I can try, if you want.

EDIT : Oops...Scorpio got before me. I think he can install it better.