FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Portugal

marcuse
Have you ever been to Portugal ? Do you know where is it? What are your impressions of Portugal?

thanks
otiscom
Yes I've been and liked it very much.

Would love to live there!
enoque
Portugal is a small country but although that it is very different from region to region.
We have (our Government) a new campaign to promote our most known region - the Algarve.
They have decided to go with a "teaser" Allgarve.

That is not the reason for my post; I just want to call your attention to the fact that the nicest regions of Portugal are further up to the north.
All the coast of Alentejo is lovelly and also the "Costa Oeste", between Lisbon and Aveiro.
It has several beaches that are very nice.
marcuse
enoque wrote:
Portugal is a small country but although that it is very different from region to region.
We have (our Government) a new campaign to promote our most known region - the Algarve.
They have decided to go with a "teaser" Allgarve.

That is not the reason for my post; I just want to call your attention to the fact that the nicest regions of Portugal are further up to the north.
All the coast of Alentejo is lovelly and also the "Costa Oeste", between Lisbon and Aveiro.
It has several beaches that are very nice.

I'm thinking of choosing the costa Alentejana for my holidays this year. Probably Odeceice and up. Do you recommend any particular zone? I'm not particular interested in choosing Algarve (or Alarve, i don't recall). Except for the part next to Spain, most of Algarve are crowded with the British working classes.
James007
I wouldn't call Portugal a small country. Very Happy

Anyway, my dear Portuguese friends, did you discover the Portuguese forum on frihost already?

Personally, when talking about the language, I don't understand anything of it. I can speak a little Spanish, but even for native Spanish people it is hard to understand Portuguese. It sounds like a Russian version of Spanish to me.

Is it true that the Portuguese of Brazil is more comprehensible than the Portuguese of Portugal?
marcuse
James007 wrote:
I wouldn't call Portugal a small country. Very Happy

Anyway, my dear Portuguese friends, did you discover the Portuguese forum on frihost already?

Personally, when talking about the language, I don't understand anything of it. I can speak a little Spanish, but even for native Spanish people it is hard to understand Portuguese. It sounds like a Russian version of Spanish to me.

Is it true that the Portuguese of Brazil is more comprehensible than the Portuguese of Portugal?

I think that Portuguese of Brazil sounds more sweet and more musical than the Portuguese of Portugal.
James007
Is it written the same way?
Sharpe
I have been to Portugal only once. The Algarve for a week. It was alot of fun and my first time flying.
marcuse
James007 wrote:

No, there are some differences. There are no silent consonants in Portuguese from Brasil, for example:

Portuguese from Portugal : activo
Portuguese from Brasil : ativo

The c letter is silent

And some names mean different things:

Portugal : Puto - Young boy, the same as lad
Brasil : Puto - Mail prostitute or Son of the B... (pejorative)

And there are different names to designate the same thing:

Train : Trem (Brasil) and Comboio (Portugal)
thealpha
Lisbon!!!!!I want to go there. Anybody have been there before?
lukejones
Hello,
I've just moved to Lisbon to live. It's the first time I've been here. It's a beautiful city, very clean, organized and not overly populated.
I'm currently looking for a Quarto no centro de Lisboa. If anyone knows of one, please let me know.
I'm also offering English lessons to people living in Lisboa.

Luke
lukejones
marcuse wrote:
James007 wrote:

No, there are some differences. There are no silent consonants in Portuguese from Brasil, for example:

Portuguese from Portugal : activo
Portuguese from Brasil : ativo

The c letter is silent

And some names mean different things:

Portugal : Puto - Young boy, the same as lad
Brasil : Puto - Mail prostitute or Son of the B... (pejorative)

And there are different names to designate the same thing:

Train : Trem (Brasil) and Comboio (Portugal)

Os Portugueses nao pronunciam o C em activo?
The Portugues don't pronounce the C in activo?
Mikke
i have never been there but i really liked to cuz i heard that is a wonderful country with many people and shops:P so i hope that we are gonna travel to portugal this summer;>
lukejones
Portugal is very beautiful, yes.
Lisbon is a beautiful city.
jsundell
I was just in Lisboa with my wife. It is a very beautiful city but like all the beautiful cities there were a LOT of tourists. After you have seen most of Lisboa in two to four days you should take the train to one of the small cost villages/towns. There aren't so many tourists there and the atmosphere is more genuine. You should also try the many different foods of Portugal. Fish, crab and lobster among other things.

Little annoying were also the many marihuana dealers. They tried to sell us many times every day. Also there are also many warnings of pick pockets but we did not see or hear anyone that would have been pick pocketed.

Public transportation (bus, tram, metro) is really good and cheap (only few euros per day).

I recommend Lisboa!
lukejones
I don't think I've ever seen a city so heavily policed before. There are police everywhere!
Having said that, yes, men come up to you in the middle of a busy street, in broad daylight, offering drugs.
There are quite a few prostitutes too that have approached me.
heartbeat
you should come to PORTO and check the port wine cellars and the most modern aditorium in europe Casa da Musica! No bad ambient like in Lisbon and all the movement of a big city, big museums big contemporary art museum Fundaçao de Serralves, grat beaches and very good nightlife ranging the most popullar things to the most recent movements!! quality and pleasure Smile come to porto!
heartbeat
in activo we dont say the c
we say ativo