FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Being a Dad

firsttimedad
Guys (and yes, Girls) I am looking for some advice on being a dad for the first time to be part of new website I am developing for first time dads, acting as a place for us guys that have no idea to get some tips and tricks.

While I am happy to read all your views here, I will be equally happy to get emails (address on profile)

No horror stories or stupid stuff (unless it has real relevance) I just want goo, honest advice for us men that have no idea what to expect....

Thanks all.. and hope you visit my site soon

FTD
Azmo
I will sure visit ur site, not time for me to be a dad yet tho, but could be good to read anyways Smile

Hard to give any advice, I'm not yet a father, but I guess you have to do your own thing, find a balance between beeing hard and beeing kind, to allow and deny things.. so the kid don't run over you screaming and yelling til it get what it wants, or never gets anything.
livilou
Some of the best advice I can give is to buy stock in baby gas medicine. You're going to need it. I don't know who invented this stuff, but it's very handy to have around. It's also made so that you can't give too much. It's very mild.
RubySlasher
There's obvious things, like: appreciate what your wife does, help change diapers, clean up messes, take night shifts with the baby in place of your wife, don't come home from your easy-peasy job at work and expect to be served hand and foot just like baby, etc.
I am far too young to be experienced in such things, though, but this is just from what I've heard in the past.
But good luck on your site!
Lobo23
Be constant. Do the same thing for the same action and don't waffle or confuse your kids.

Do as much as you can and give as much as you can and when there is still more, always ask for help.

Remember what you are doing is for your wife and child, so the late late night visits and crying over and over won't bother you. As much, at least.
molif
firstly.. congrats..

secondly, i think treating your wife like a queen is important. she means the world to you, i am sure.
supjapscrapper
Such a situation is really not easy for the man, but certainly not as hard as for his wife. So the man should take a lot on him ad try to make sure that the mother of the baby can use her whole time to take care of the baby. Be ready for stress crisis, women get a lot unsure about themselves through such a period especially if they don't get a lot of support from other women (mother, sisters, friends...)

Huh ... no easy times, the best part is going to work early enough to be back as early as possible to help at home, and after unsleepy nights getting the baby when it starts crying Very Happy
bonestorm74
I could probably use some advice right now. My baby's crying. Confused
supjapscrapper
bonestorm74 wrote:

The best advice one can give is probably to protect yourself with lots and lots of patience.... and think about the millions of other fathers in the world that are experiencing the same irritated feeling of having to cope with the non-stopping cries of the baby .... Think about you someday playing football with the son that you hold right now in your hands Very Happy
supjapscrapper
bonestorm74 wrote:

The best advice one can give is probably to protect yourself with lots and lots of patience.... and think about the millions of other fathers in the world that are experiencing the same irritated feeling of having to cope with the non-stopping cries of the baby .... Think about you someday playing football with the son that you hold right now in your hands Very Happy
HollyK
I don't have kids, but I have this to comment: One thing to keep in mind is that it will be stressful, but in the end it will be worth it. Also, they're lucky, and should remember that. Some of us cannot have kids due to being sterile and whatnot. I guess at times it will look like the grass is greener on the other side from both sides.
eefh1
Hi,

I used to report back to home in the late nights due to the work I did. I felt very bad with this (disturbing my wife and son in that night) and I had to leave the job and search for other. Also, have all the medicines and other stuff like diapers, etc in place so that you need not to run suddenly. Having the doctor's phone numbers in hand that helps in sudden sickness is another advice from me.
missdixy
Don't see them as an object, or something to just deal with. See them as a person, as a human being.