FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Who here draws as a hobby?

Peafy
-raises hand and jumps up and down- I do!
its one of my favorite hobbies. So, does anybody else draw?
Tyger
I do, I've been drawing some realistic pictures a lot. But now I'm getting into drawing anime (I suck at coloring it though...)
Peafy
Ah, so lucky you can draw realism. I'm bad at drawing realism. I'm better at drawing anime/manga and animals. I also suck at coloring. With a colored pencil, marker or crayon that is. I don't have adobe photoshop so I don't know if i'm bad at coloring there. I don't have any artworks to show you, but I do have a sheezyart account with the same username as the one I have here, but there is only 1 submitted artpiece there. Don't get me wrong, I do draw alot, but I ran out of paper.
dz9c
Peafy wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I do draw alot, but I ran out of paper.

buy some more? lol its paper how can you run out of paper its like water it never runs out
hlavco
I draw all the time. More of a time-waster than a hobby, though. I mostly do it when I should be doing something else. I draw mostly cars and animals.
Peafy
Cars!? You can draw cars? Now that, no matter how many times I practice, I cannot draw.

Quote:
buy some more? lol its paper how can you run out of paper its like water it never runs out
But, its not like I can drive. And I keep forgetting to get it. Also, I need printer paper. Not sure why, but I only seem to draw good on printer paper or on school paper.
livilou
I can't even draw a straight line with a ruler, but my 10 year old is actually pretty good at drawing. He does it all the time. I'm wondering what he'll be when he grows up.
karysky
I draw a lot.. when I have time !

It's hard during school semesters because I really don't have a lot of time!

I draw realistic portraits, that's what I enjoy the most. It's like capturing the soul of the person that you draw. I also recently started to oil paint, and my first painting is almost finished.

Here are some of the drawings I did:

Emma Watson:

Ville Valo:

My Kung Fu Sifu (Master):

Zhang Ziyi:

livilou
karysky, those are very good. Thanks for sharing.
Gagnar The Unruly
I used to draw a lot for fun, but when I hit college I ran out of time for it, and I haven't drawn regularly for fun for a while. Mostly I drew video game characters or fantasy characters from my own imagination. As I got older I began sketching and illustrating more. I still break out the pad and pencil every once in a while, though I've been doing a lot of sumi-e lately.
mixka
My english is not good, but i must answer: karysky you are very good drawer.
hlavco
Gagnar The Unruly wrote:
I used to draw a lot for fun, but when I hit college I ran out of time for it, and I haven't drawn regularly for fun for a while. Mostly I drew video game characters or fantasy characters from my own imagination. As I got older I began sketching and illustrating more. I still break out the pad and pencil every once in a while, though I've been doing a lot of sumi-e lately.

College? Ran OUT of time? I think I draw more now that I've hit college than anytime before that.
karysky
Thank you very much mixka and livilou!

I enjoy drawing but I don't draw as much as I want to.

I want to next draw Chiu Chi Ling, for those who know him, because he's coming to my city in july, and I want him to sign it... hope it's going to look good !
bickers
I used to draw all the time, and I always wanted to be a cartoonist when I grew up, but in all honesty I sort of got tired of it around midway through high school. Sort of unfortunate, but it almost felt like I just did it too much and got sick of it. Alas. Confused
thealpha
Yes, I like to draw many things, especially music instruments.
Aiz
Wow, this reminded me how long I haven't drawn anything.

I used to draw a lot when I was in middle/high school. I was able to draw both anime style and realistic type of things, but I preferred to do it the anime exaggerated style. Back then, I could spend hours at a time drawing for no reason. I even have a ton of art supplies lying around that I got when I was still into it.

For no reason really, I stopped drawing. It's been at least 3 years since I last picked up a pencil for that purpose. I guess I sorta grew out of that, along with my love for reading, and became glued to my techy toys instead. (Last picture I drew for real was of my puppy when I got him, since he's 3 now, it was 3 years ago after all.)

I wonder why many people are like that and somehow stop drawing, or just not as much, as they get older? Too many other things going on? =/ I used to spend a lot of time on my techy stuff back then too, but for some reason, I just can't find the time or motivation to draw anymore.
driftingfe3s
Aiz wrote:
Wow, this reminded me how long I haven't drawn anything.

Same with me. I drew like twice while I was in college, but now that I've graduated from my university, I think I try and start drawing agian. I got my slef some anatomy drawing books lying around, and hopefully I can improve my drawing ability a great deal.
dac_nip
I do, when I was young it used to be my hobby. I was at some point in my life very interested in photography Very Happy At this point, I'm focusing and studying photoshop. more techie and cool than manula drawing Very Happy
ninjakannon
When I was young I used to draw a lot, despite being terrible at it then. Then my drawing habits petered off as I grew up. However, I still used to draw quite regularly; I went through a long period of drawing things in minute detail, and another of drawing scenes containing countless stick men (mainly because I wanted to do detail, so did detail on everything but the people, they themselves being too complicated to draw).

I took art as a GCSE choice and obviously had to draw for that, amongst other art forms. I managed to greatly increase my drawing skills by adding a lot more tone to my works during year 11 at school. Alas, a little too late for me because I didn't have time to improve all my coursework. On the other hand, I did hand in a marvellous exam project and final piece (a detailed piece drawn with black pen and painted over with watercolours).

Now I'm developing a game that will use 3D graphics (in fact 2D graphics, but I will be exporting images and animations from 3D models). I expect to have to draw designs for items, buildings, scenery, characters [etcetera] so that should be fun.

I don't want to lose my talent, for now I am quite a good artist (and photographer) so I hope to continue drawing long into the future.
Gagnar The Unruly
hlavco wrote:
Gagnar The Unruly wrote:

College? Ran OUT of time? I think I draw more now that I've hit college than anytime before that.

LOL, well, ran out of time isn't exactly accurate I guess, at least when I was a Freshman and Sophomore. I just spent my time doing other things, like playing CS (this was the early 00's) and StarCraft, and hanging out with my friends. When I was living at home, I'd just lie on the floor and draw and draw and draw. No lying on the floor in college, and no drawing. Too many distractions I guess. Of course, in my last few years in college, I really was too busy to draw! Still, every once in a while I'd break out the sketch pad and do some doodling. I've been trying to decide whether it's worth posting anything in the personal art section.
Sipe
I draw. Smile Usually I draw horses, but now I want learn to draw peoples. Its hard :'d

karysky: Those are really good works! Be glad, that you can draw like that. And, do you listen HIM? I just noticed that Ville Valo drawing, and I was wondering that. And he is from my country, Finland Smile
ninjakannon
Sipe wrote:
I draw. Smile Usually I draw horses, but now I want learn to draw peoples. Its hard :'d

karysky: Those are really good works! Be glad, that you can draw like that.

I think most people find drawing people a challenge (highlighting karysky's talent; those pictures are awesome!). Personally, I love drawing hands in detail. They do pose a challenge to me, but the results are often very pleasing and I'm proud of what I've achieved. Maybe, when I get my work back, I'll take some photographs of some of my work and post them here, but that will be in a couple of months so don't get too expectant. Razz
karysky
ninjakannon wrote:
Sipe wrote:

karysky: Those are really good works! Be glad, that you can draw like that.

I think most people find drawing people a challenge (highlighting karysky's talent; those pictures are awesome!). Personally, I love drawing hands in detail. They do pose a challenge to me, but the results are often very pleasing and I'm proud of what I've achieved. Maybe, when I get my work back, I'll take some photographs of some of my work and post them here, but that will be in a couple of months so don't get too expectant. Razz

Yes, drawing is a challenge. And like you say, it is for everyone. When drawing becomes easy, it's because you're not getting better anymore. I know some great, great artists out there, who draw like I've never seen, and they say that every new drawing is a challenge, because they always want to draw better than they did last time.

I agree with the hand thing. I used to enjoy drawing hands before I started the portraits Smile I'm waiting with eager your work... in a couple of months !

@Sipe: Thank you very much !
m00tmuffin
I draw for fun occasionally. I'm trying to get better at it but it's hard trying to train your eye to accurately record what it sees and make the eye and your hand work in conjunction with each other to produce something that you're satisfied with. A book I found really helpful was "The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" by Betty Edwards. It's a revamped edition of an older book that is most likely one of the more well-known and famous books on drawing and whatnot. I found it helpful but others that I know have tried it have had mixed feelings, but I think for every drawer it's at least worth a look at. Lots of neat little exercises that really push you in different ways than most drawing books do--and this is not one of those "step by step" drawing books that don't actually teach you how to draw. Worth a peek!
Jaan
I wish I drew more, but I don't anymore. I used to do acrylics and pastels, not much of a pencil person. Subjects were mostly realistic. However when I do remember to draw, then I enjoy drawing whatever comes to mind and going with the flow just to see what I come out with. If its any good, then I make version 2.0 sometimes.

I wish I drew more though, it's a great skill.
xXWhiteShadowXx
I probably draw 90% of my free time. Its one of my favorite hobbies I actually started doing just recently. I like drawing Anime/Manga but am still pretty good at Realism. I'd show you some art but I busted my scanner.
lethaltriad
I used to draw when i was younger, my speciality though was that I could draw anything I saw like a comic or cartoon but when it came to creating something from scratch and envisioning and putting it on paper I couldnt quite do it as good. I did a portrait for my aunt couple years back and it was my favourite piece.. havent had time to hit up the papers lately though cuz of photography work but i envy anyone that can do it, thats real art.
furtasacra
I like to draw, and I'm fairly good at it, but like a couple of other people in here, I've been distracted by all my shiny gizmos lately. ESPECIALLY the digital camera. I take a lot of pictures, and I'm getting better and better at photography.

I just hope my drawing skill isn't decreasing at the same rate that my photography improves... maybe I should put the camera away and dust off my sketchbook tomorrow. Just to be safe.
rheanna
karysky wrote:
I draw a lot.. when I have time !

It's hard during school semesters because I really don't have a lot of time!

I draw realistic portraits, that's what I enjoy the most. It's like capturing the soul of the person that you draw. I also recently started to oil paint, and my first painting is almost finished.

Here are some of the drawings I did:

Emma Watson:

Ville Valo:

My Kung Fu Sifu (Master):

Zhang Ziyi:

Very Nice...You should start your own busniess and sell your prints.
Drawingguy
I love to draw, but I have to really train myself with paint. Watercolors are coming along, but I haven't even touched acrylics or oils yet...tsk. From all of you guys who draw a lot, though, what's your take on drawing from photographs? I'm thinking that it's ok to photo-draw if you're doing a study, but when creating an actual piece, I'm not sure if that's alright. How often are you going to get such a composition just sitting around for you?
Tatsumaru
Hm, I used to draw as a hobby but it kinda faded. Took too much time and concentration: and I need those for my other hobbies I enjoy more (stuff like video editting and planning ahead on exercise schedules). My girlfriend and some of my best friends are really good at drawing though, and they spend a lot of time on it.
Molle
When I was 6-10, I really enjoyed to draw. I was quite good at it, but now I'm... not. But I still drawe sometimes, oftem animals or people. I see someone on the telly, and I drawe them. I'm quite good at remembering people... Wink
bonestorm74
I used to as a kid. I drew a lot, and wrote stories to accompany these. I also used to do comic strips and invented my own characters and stories. One of the first things I wanted to be was a cartoonist.

Having said all that I don't really draw much anymore. Wink Guess it's one of those things that can fall by the wayside when we get older.
laurenrox
I'm pretty good at doing portraits (as long as my medium is charcole, lol, =P)... but I like drawing cute little things like fairies and baby dragons. O_o... But if something happens that I see someone with amazing contors in their face, I HAVE to draw them... That's kinda what attracted me to my current boyfriend. Lol... Strange, eh?
ThornsOfSorrow
I used to draw constantly; I'd just open up a magazine and copy anything interesting into my sketchbook. I slowly lost interest in drawing after starting to paint, but I just bought a new sketchbook in order to rediscover that interest. The types of drawings that I do are much quicker than paintings, so they're often a nice break from whatever art project I'm working on.
Tumbleweed
I used to copy and enlarge animals from photographs in wildlife magazines, mostly in pencil usually a HB *borrowed*, the results were good enough for a few people to ask me to draw there pets which I did from photographs and they were very pleased with the results, and so they should be for the price they paid or didnt Crying or Very sad
Kelvin
I've been drawing since i was a kid. During my later teens and twenties... i got into drawing portraits from newpaper cuttings, magazines, printouts etc. I prefer portraits as one can really bring out the intricacies and image to life. However, I've dropped drawing totally and have not drawn a single one for a number of years now. Maybe we can start posting our artwork here. Wink
Coclus
I do, but I m not very good at it.. I sometimes draw with Photoshop though..
hiquality
I started drawing anime recently .. drawing what i want in anime style (like friends animals and places Very Happy) ... And my brother loves coloring them and he does a really good job Very Happy(keep up the good work)
Smile
Aimewitue
i'd love to draw,but i don't have time to drawing Sad i love drawing portraits
kicy
I used to be able to draw what ever I see now I'm not so good at it. He is some recent pixel drawing i made of johnny bravo Smile

now doesn't that make feel better about your drawings Wink
dangerdog
i draw all of the time, constantly. i don't know that i consider it a hobby so much, drawing and painting is a very integral part of my life. :3
ninjakannon
dangerdog wrote:
i draw all of the time, constantly. i don't know that i consider it a hobby so much, drawing and painting is a very integral part of my life. :3

Wow you must draw quite a bit! Perhaps you would like to tell us what kind of things you like to draw, and do you consider yourself any good?
dangerdog
ninjakannon wrote:
dangerdog wrote:

Wow you must draw quite a bit! Perhaps you would like to tell us what kind of things you like to draw, and do you consider yourself any good?

i draw every day. Smile i have a room in my house that i use as my studio, all of my walls are covered in drawings, and there are stacks and stacks of paper around that makes up only the last couple of years.

i draw a lot of really strange stuff, really. a lot of animals, a lot of animal-people (in the style of egyptian gods, people with animal heads), some really macabre stuff in a cute manner. a lot of animal skulls, a lot of dinosaurs (triceratops in particular, it's a bit of a fixation as my name is 'cera'), a lot of elephants, a lot of snakes, a lot of squid. it always feels a little strange to say how good you are, yourself, i suppose i consider myself decent. i need some education, but on the track to get back to that!

i actually posted some in the artwork section last night if you're interested in checking it out. Smile
Damarus
I like drawing. I mostly do it at shool tho...teavhers can sometimes be really boring so hehe...got to do something Razz

...but I don't spend as much time on it as i do on my other hobbies. Rolling Eyes
ninjakannon
dangerdog wrote:
i actually posted some in the artwork section last night if you're interested in checking it out. Smile

I was interested in checking it out and I'm impressed! You're very talented and the style you use suits the subject matter well. I also find your ideas interesting, for example the elephant... Well, elephant-thing, holding its skin back to reveal what's inside. And you've got a good eye for colour, very nice work. Smile
greekwoof
i draw since i was 8..
i do graffiti, sketching n of course spend lots of hours workin on photoshop n creating graphics for web-sites Smile
natem
I really like drawing, but I haven't had very much time for it lately. I mostly draw comic book style, although I can draw realism as well. The part I enjoy most is the coloring. I usually use watercolors and acrylic, but sometimes I use pencil crayon or oil paint. It has been a few years since I really was into it. I don't seem to have the time or patience anymore. I took a few printmaking and painting classes in college as my electives, and I really enjoyed taking them.
agustin
I do. but im really bad. i see that theres someone good around here. good job. im learning drawing but its difficult... i dont even haves skills for it... one of my friends draw like god... amazing.
zjosie729
I can draw pretty much everything if I look at it, but not people. I always distort people or make them too old or too young.
eday2010
I used to draw all the time. For the better part of 8 years I would draw flipbooks. You know, when you take a pile of paper stapled together or a post-it note pad and draw a series of pictures on each paper, so that when you flip through them, they move like a cartoon. I started doing them with my friend in 1991 (Grade Cool until the end of the school year. After that, I did a bunch on my own til the fall, when I stopped. A couple of years later I did one in the summer and then another using full sheets of paper for an english project in Grade 10. then I stopped again. Almost 2 years later I started again.

The original ones were like short little gags or stories. When I started again the second time, it was more about experimenting with hand drawing things and scenes rotating, scaling, morphing, and the like. I started using only Post-It notes, since I could take them apart, draw something, put the next sheet on, and draw while seeing the last frame, and I wouldnt'd have to worry about an uneven edge. I did short ones that were 50 different drawings, and I did a couple that were over 300 different drawings, one which had stars in the sky in two colours so they'd work with those 3D glasses. that meant going through each frame 3 times (one to draw, one for the bluish stars, and a last time forthe reddish ones).

Eventually I ran out of things to draw, and learnign to draw and animate on the computer made me lose interest in flipbooks. But now that everything that is animated is either done with computers or with help from computers, I miss hand animation. I miss the roughness and slight movement lines used to have. Now everything is too clean and perfect. I tried doing a flipbook last year for the first time in almost a decade, and while it was fun, it was also very tedious. I don't know how I had the patience to do all that drawing back in the day. Maybe I had a lot less options to entertain me Smile
Cannara
I draw as well, mostly sketches and charcoal. I also enjoy painting, but that isn't coming along too fast.
cloudship
karysky wrote:

Zhang Ziyi:

this will be a nightmare news for ZiYi, if I show your work to her, lol Wink
dangerdog
i draw, and i draw, and i draw, and i draw. Smile

i've been drawing constantly since i was a small child. when i have a free moment, i draw. when i'm bored, i draw. when it's slow at work, i draw. i draw stickers and put them on all of my things. i painted on my car. :p

drawing is really just a time investment. you'll get as much out of it as you get into it, and anyone can draw - if you spend enough time doing it. right now i have a sketch book that i used about 20 pages of when i was 12 and stashed away, and i like drawing in it. i like seeing things i was drawing more than 10 years ago, it's fun to see how much it's changed and improved from all of the time i've spent on it.
imera
Drawing, love it, to bad I didn't chose that as a major when I went at school Razz

I try many things, some things I like better than others. I like to draw black and white, colours is my enemy Razz Mostly because if I colour something the whole thing is ruined and I then don't have any copy of it and that pisses me off Razz I guess I only need some practise. The same goes for oil and water colours, tried them but can't seem to get the hang, the shading won't go as I wish and the colour is far from what I imagine.

I mostly draw in a realistic way with some anime futures, I try many different things. I always want to learn new things so I in a way copy others drawing style, make it more mine of course but it's fun to try it, not always a success but I learn something at least.

My least favourite thing to draw must be animals, mostly because I don't know how they look like and I'm to lazy to find any reference Razz