FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

creating a bot

alalex
how do you create a bot?
which language do you use, how do you get it to work... i just want to know, if you can tell me in this post, or if you know of a good internet tutorial...

thanks! Very Happy
marcuse
For what purpose do you need a bot ?
imagefree
i am also interested to know about it. Someone please help. (if can)
{name here}
I know that bots that Wikipedia and Wikia use are made from a Python script which you run from your PC. As long as you are on, the bot will run too. This might be a completely different bot than of what you are asking though.
Azmo
as {name here} said, would be great if you could be abit more specific with what bot you are asking for.
panic15
Bots arent just made from Python..
Bots or crawlers/spiders can be made from many other languages, im guessing you are on about a Web Bot?

If not what else. IRC bot?
imagefree
panic15 wrote:
Bots or crawlers/spiders can be made from many other languages, im guessing you are on about a Web Bot?

If not what else. IRC bot?

i am interested about WEB BOTS, but please also tell what is IRC bot?
panic15
An IRC bot is a bot that Idle's in an IRC channel (IRC is Internet Relay Chat, basically a way of talking/sending data over internet through an IRC client)
The IRC bot acts as a human holding the IRC channel..

For WebSpiders, there are many. Ones that Index pages, ones that do malicious things etc... Need to be more specific.
{name here}
panic15 wrote:

Yeah, but I know that a few bots are programmed in that, and if you look around Wikipedia, some of the makers of the bots have released them as open source, so you don't have to do a majority of the programming to make a bot.
alalex
Oh, sorry if i hadn't been specific, I just don't know about bots.. Yes, I meant web bots, for example in Wikipedia, they say they have bots crawling the pages to check if they are valid or something...
Could someone just tell me something about the languaje used, if you know about any webs where i could find tutorials or examples... I tried in google but im not sure what to search for, since "bots" showed only IRC bots...

thanks!
{name here}
alalex wrote:
Oh, sorry if i hadn't been specific, I just don't know about bots.. Yes, I meant web bots, for example in Wikipedia, they say they have bots crawling the pages to check if they are valid or something...

Well, they revert vandalism, add interwiki links, tag articles that seem to have bad formatting, automate AfD, et cetera.
Quote:

Could someone just tell me something about the languaje used, if you know about any webs where i could find tutorials or examples... I tried in google but im not sure what to search for, since "bots" showed only IRC bots...

Well, there is a wikipedia bot framework that is open source made under Python you can use. There is also one in perl, though if you have the knowlege in programming no single language is out of use. Of course, if you want you can make a javascript bot like the SckrTrckrBot on Uncyclopedia, but you have a few limitations in exchange for the ease of scripting it in a browser interpreted language.
lordcenon
alalex wrote:
how do you create a bot?
which language do you use, how do you get it to work...

AIML for Artificial Intelligence Markup Language and I am putting here a reference to a site to give you idea about software robot hosting http://www.pandorabots.com/botmaster/en/home

although for a fact, there are other languages that can be used.

Or as you have been asking how to create IRC bot, here's the link to http://www.combined-minds.net/tutorials/7/Reading_a_website_in_PHP

Hope this would help a little.

Good luck to all your desire.
cr3ativ3
Ya, I have created a few bots in PHP but I find that PHP isn't the best language for bot making but I use it since its one of the few server side languages I know. If you have heard of rune scape or ever played it you would notice all the websites that offer forum signatures that have your updated stats (dynamic signatures) the coding behind that is in a way a bot, and usually done in PHP I made one.

Hope that helps but to become good at making bots you really need to go in depth into one of the suggested languages.