FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Widescreen LCD Compatibility in Games

Osmodius
I'm not sure if this was the right forum, but it's a lot less spam-infested than the games forum.

Someone recommended I not buy a widescreen monitor due to compatibility problems with some games. Can anyone please tell me how a widescreen monitor handles older games that may not have support for the monitor's native resolution (like BF1942, Warcraft 3)? Also, does anyone know how well recent-ish games support widescreen resolutions? I'm thinking Battlefield 2, Half-Life 2, maybe World of Warcraft too. Embarassed

Thanks Wink

Edit: Forgot to mention, the specific monitor I'm looking at is a 19" LCD with 1440*900 resolution, which would be hooked up to a rig with an 8800GTS 320MB.
kizarop
Half-Life 2 has support for widescreen as well as Call of Duty 2, Toca Race Driver 3 and the most of new games. Personally I've never experienced compatibility problems with any game even with older DOS games. I'm using Asus PW-191 LCD and nvidia 8800 GPU
jackill
Check out this site: http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/

If You won't find it there, You won't find it anywhere Wink
Osmodius
Thanks a lot, both of you ^_^
panic15
Mostly all new games support Widescreen because of the growing community.

If now most games can be hacked/changed easily to allow widescreens support.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com is the best place to go, just search the game there and follow recommendations on how to set up non-supported games.

I however am unable to go back to standard 4:3 resolution due to the extra space you get with the Widescreen versions... I however am running a 24" im not sure about the 19" or 20" but i know 22"'s are also very good.

You wont forget the good resolutions and change of gaming experience aswell as general desktop use.
djclue917
Osmodius wrote:
I'm not sure if this was the right forum, but it's a lot less spam-infested than the games forum.

Someone recommended I not buy a widescreen monitor due to compatibility problems with some games. Can anyone please tell me how a widescreen monitor handles older games that may not have support for the monitor's native resolution (like BF1942, Warcraft 3)? Also, does anyone know how well recent-ish games support widescreen resolutions? I'm thinking Battlefield 2, Half-Life 2, maybe World of Warcraft too. Embarassed

Thanks Wink

Edit: Forgot to mention, the specific monitor I'm looking at is a 19" LCD with 1440*900 resolution, which would be hooked up to a rig with an 8800GTS 320MB.

Warcraft III plays OK with my widescreen (WXGA) laptop. However, the "stretching" of the screen is very noticeable. But in any case, the game is very playable indeed. By the way, NBA LIVE 06 also works but the same kind of "stretching" occurs.... I hope these helps...
bulek
Widescreen is definitely not as good as standard monitors (4:3 and 5:4) for games and I don't recommend them for you, unless you mostly watch movies on computer. You will have stretched screen in most games, which is far away from nice graphics. Try to stretch picture of wide-screen movies to whole screen so you will see how stretched picture looks like. My opinion is that it's better to buy bigger LCD in 4:3 or 5:4 resolution so you don't have problems with games and also have pretty big screen for movies.

Decision is yours Wink
Donutey
Some high-end widescreen LCDs are not capable of scaling below XGA (1024x768) so if you need to run anything at 800x600 or 640x480 you might want to double check the monitors specs first.
Reubz
I just bought a wii. I hooked it up to my lcd tv. Everything was ok for a week or two. Then, suddenly it turned black and white. I brought it to a repair shop and they said it would cost alot of $$$$. So, I am warning you! Do not hook up a wii to a goooooood tv!