FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Photoshop Question: How to "extend" the sides of a

ChunkyBustout
Hello,

I have been trying to widen a picture. Its a picture of my silouette against a bay at sunset. The problem is my silouette is too large and I want to add more of the landscape behind me.

I've widened the canvas width to give me room to work and then tried copying the sides of the picture on each side of my silouette to "stamp" or "fill" to the edges of the canvas but it looks bad. I've tried the vanishing point feature but I can get it with that either (it was worth a try).

The white area is what I want to fill in with the same background - extending the background so the white area is no longer white.

Anyone know how to do this effectively? I hope you can understand all this cause I not used to asking for this kind of help so it may be weird sounding.

Thanks.
Sunny
Hmm your questions isnt very clear but by what I udnerstand you want to widen a picture in photoshop.

Here's a way to do ot

1) Select the layer of the picture. (if layer dialogue is not visible, click windows tab on top and then layers)

2)once that layer is selected ..click edit on top menu and click free transformation

3) you will notice a resize box around the picture, you can strech or reduce the picture as you want.

Hopefully this helped

Sunny
ChunkyBustout
Thank you for your response all that does is stretch out the image so my silouette is flattened a little.
Deckard
You can try to fill the surronding area by a foreground template, but this will probably look weird since you have a small workin area to fill from, to a much longueur version.

You can use it in a layer, and later pixelate to rendre the background, that should improve it but will not look natural.
boringest
you can cut and paste a similar part of the background on the white parts and then try to use the Heal brush to make it look like it's 1 whole picture.
budazz
why don't you use the canvas image
go to edit then choose the canvass size to resize the image which ever you want Laughing
ChunkyBustout
I've tried cutting, pasting and using the heal tool but it doesn't look right. You can also use the stamp tool to achieve to same results.

Resizing the image just stretches it out of proportion.

Resizing the canvas was done to add the extra area to the sides.
gonzo
try the healing brush tool. I leave it to you to sort out how to remove the black areas:

ChunkyBustout
I did try the healing brush but my results didn't look like yours. I'll try some more. Thanks.