FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to stop "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services&qu

infinisa
Hello All

Every time I switch on my portable computer I get an annoying "Data Execution Prevention" message which says:
"To help protect your computer, Windows has closed this program.
Name: Generic Host Process for Win32 Service
Publisher: Microsoft Corporation"

I know the program in question is svchost, which is a generic host process name for services that run from dynamic-link libraries (DLLs) (see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314056).

I also know that this problem arose after installing software to use an HP multifunction printer (a 7400, I think).

After googling the problem, I indeed found references to HP software causing this problem.

HOWEVER, in spite of following all the instructions I could find, and even removing all references to HP from my registry and file system, the message won't go away!

I should be very grateful to anyone who can come up with a solution to this problem that doesn't involve formatting my hard drive!
kizarop
Go to "System Properties" -> "Advanced" tab -> "performance options" button -> "Data Execution Prevention" tab , you can add here exceptions for programs to bypass DEP , maybe this would be helpful
infinisa
Thanks, I'll do this for now. But this will just remove the Symptom of the problem, not the Cause.

I'm really not happy about this as a permanent fix: As svchost is used to run many third party service DLL's, I think that DEP should monitor this program, if possible.
froginabox
Try to make sure that HP isn't still starting something by using MSCONFIG. You can do so by (if using Windows XP) going to Start -> Run and then typing msconfig.

I would also suggest that you run anti-virus software, there is a known virus that runs under the name svchost, which can cause the slowness.
infinisa
Thanks for the suggestion.

However, I've done all that already - antivirus, antispyware (following the excellent post by TimmyS in the thread "That damn spyware") and, as I said on my initial post, I've totally removed all HP Software from my system!
infinisa
Hi kizarop

This is really weird! I deactivated svchost in DEP as you suggested. In fact the program was already there as a possible exception; all I had to do was check it.

And yet the same message still appears at startup!

And now what?
kizarop
hmm, check started services (you could check it typing services.msc or msconfig) and look for any HP related, also check hidden devices (device manager -> view tab -> show hidden devices , then on the list will show "non plug and play drivers") and list it here I take a look Smile . Second thing - run event manager (administrative tools-> event manager) find this error and maybe there will be some more details about what exacly caused the problem (check for system errors). With this tool (standalone) http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml check programs running at startup (i think is better than msconfig)
infinisa
Thanks again

I've checked the started services (using the 3 methods you mention) and there is nothing HP related.

The error is registered in the Application Log with the following (not very helpful) information:

Quote:
Faulting application svchost.exe, version 5.1.2600.2180, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00ab96bc.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I've annexed 2 screen shots with the Non-Plug and Play Drivers, as requested. Have fun!

[/img]

[/img]
kizarop
I see nothing suspicious, but did you read this? http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/451507-solved-faulty-application-svchost-exe.html

Interesting point for my is "run msconfig and select the "Services" tab. Check "Hide Microsoft Services" and then disable the rest. Also uncheck "load startup group" on the general page."
infinisa
Thanks again

The method you suggested - clean boot followed by gradual restore of startup items - is the ideal method for solving any kind of software related startup problem, so I shall save this for future use.

Anyway, this gets even weirder!

I followed the method you suggested and guess what - the error never appeared again, even after I had restored all startup items (i.e. normal startup!)

So the problem is finally solved - though we're non the wiser as to what caused it!

I really appreciate your help on this one.