FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Cancel Button?

socialoutcast
I think a it would me a good idea to have a cancel button along with the 'preview' and 'submit' buttons on the post submission page (the page you actually write posts). This button would give uses the option to cancel out of writing a post is they wish to not to 'preview' or 'submit' which are the only option at this time.

When a user clicks this cancel button it should (just as the button says) cancel the post, and then loads the page where the user was before but with a fresh version of the page. Otherwise, as of now the user must use the browser's back button to go back, but the problem with that is that that page becomes out dated, thus forcing the user to make a second click on the browser's refresh button.

I think this would make for a better design of phpbb so that the user would not have to make so much use of their browser's back button. Besides it would make for a better billboard application to include those navigation features right in the program and not rely on standard buttons within the programs containing window.

Love God, love people, drink coffee
www.socialoutcast.co.nr[/url]
regards
I cannot agree with socialoutcast. Instead of having a canel button along with the 'preview' and 'submit' buttons on the post submission page, I'd rather suggest you to click on "FRIHOST FORUM INDEX" to canel editing the post, or simply click on the "backward" button of your browser. These few measure is really simple, but having a canel button will make the panel more complicated. In the end, I appreciate your initiation on suggesting upgrading.

Wink Regards
arkebuzer
I cant seem to get what΄s wrong with using the browsers buttons for going back to the thread. Or as 'Regards' said, click on the forum index link.
socialoutcast
I'm not suggesting to upgrade the panel, but only an addition. In my programing experience, it is good practice for the software developer to provide the necessary features in an application to the user to ease the initial confusion and learning curve for the end users. If the such basic and key navigational features are lacking in a software application, such a 'cancel' button are lacking from an application then some end user, who is not as computer savvy as others, is going to feel lost and confused about how the software is supposed to function, and this can frustrated a user.

Believe it are not, a browser's back button or a text link isn't as apparent to to most internet users, especially if they aren't designed to actually carry out a 'cancel' function.

Sure a the browser's back button or a text link would "work" but those DO NOT CANCEL AN ACTION. For example, I can click my back button and then the forward button and my message will still be hanging around.

My point in suggesting 'cancel' button next to the 'preview' and 'submit' buttons is for easy of use of the phpbb application. This would accomplish two things: 1) the visual presents of a 'cancel' button is more obvious to the user, then the browser's back button or text link, and that there is indeed a cancel feature, and if press, it will cancel the post, and 2) A 'cancel' button, if designed correctly, would actually cancel a submission and return the user to the page they once were.

Tips for a better software app.
www.socialoutcast.co.nr
imagefree
Quote:
I think a it would me a good idea to have a cancel button along with the 'preview' and 'submit' buttons on the post submission page (the page you actually write posts). This button would give uses the option to cancel out of writing a post is they wish to not to 'preview' or 'submit' which are the only option at this time.

When a user clicks this cancel button it should (just as the button says) cancel the post, and then loads the page where the user was before but with a fresh version of the page. Otherwise, as of now the user must use the browser's back button to go back, but the problem with that is that that page becomes out dated, thus forcing the user to make a second click on the browser's refresh button.

I think this would make for a better design of phpbb so that the user would not have to make so much use of their browser's back button. Besides it would make for a better billboard application to include those navigation features right in the program and not rely on standard buttons within the programs containing window.

you already have a cancel button on your browser window!!!!
Alternatively just press back button, it would be perfect alternative of cancel button.
socialoutcast
imagefree wrote:
Quote:

you already have a cancel button on your browser window!!!!
Alternatively just press back button, it would be perfect alternative of cancel button.

Technically, the back button in your browser does not cancel any actions, it is only steps back through your browsing history. Thus far from an alternative to cancel, but maybe a "cheap substitute" would be a better term.
Bockman
socialoutcast wrote:

I agree with you, the cancel button, although not that important to me, would be a plus on phpBB. The only thing I don't agree with is where you have placed the suggestion. You should be suggesting this to the phpBB Team , who actually built the software, and not Frihost.

Be Well Cool
simplyw00x
Ok, to all the nay-sayers:
What does it cost to implement? Nothing!
Is there an easy and obvious way to return to the original post (emphasis on obvious)? No.

The fact that it won't help you (or me for that matter) is irrelevant given how ludicrously easy it would be to implement. PHPBB is not sacred and is certainly not perfectly-designed.
Bockman
simplyw00x wrote:
Ok, to all the nay-sayers:
What does it cost to implement? Nothing!
Is there an easy and obvious way to return to the original post (emphasis on obvious)? No.

The fact that it won't help you (or me for that matter) is irrelevant given how ludicrously easy it would be to implement. PHPBB is not sacred and is certainly not perfectly-designed.

I'm reaching here and assuming someone will have to code it, and it won't just appear because we want it there.

It may not be hard to do, but it still will take some time doing (i don't know how much time that would take)

You could code it and pass it on to us. I'm sure Bonding's would appreciate not having to code it himself (although I'm sure he'll have to waste time reviewing all the code and implementing it, but would ease it's implementation for sure)

Be Well Cool
James007
Bockman wrote:
You could code it and pass it on to us. I'm sure Bonding's would appreciate not having to code it himself (although I'm sure he'll have to waste time reviewing all the code and implementing it, but would ease it's implementation for sure)

Bondings is allergic to someone else's scripts. He would indeed check everything and even come to the conclusion it would have been faster to code it himself.

If people don't know how to use the back and forward buttons in their internet browser... Rolling Eyes
ocalhoun
Bockman wrote:

It may not be hard to do, but it still will take some time doing (i don't know how much time that would take)

Isn't there a way to make a java script that does the same thing as the 'back' button? I'm no java expert, but I think I've seen it done before.
James007
Yes, sure... that history(-1)-thingy. But then people are better of using their browser buttons. If you would create a cancel button, it should refer to the page you came from (which is something else then the previous page...)

You shouldn't use the history(-1) thing as it requires javascript, and not everyone has it activated (like 3 or 4 people on the globe)

That sounds weird...
ocalhoun
James007 wrote:
(which is something else then the previous page...)

The only way I could think of that that could happen is if they originally got to posting.php by using the back button.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
*Has idea*
Up on the top left above the bar that says 'post a reply', there is the link back to the forum you are in.
Just duplicate that link, and rename it 'cancel' and make a button for it!
That would work well. Hitting cancel would take me back (in this case) to the suggestions forum. (How often would somebody hit cancel, then want to keep on reading in the thread anyway?)
James007
ocalhoun wrote:
How often would somebody hit cancel, then want to keep on reading in the thread anyway?

Good point.
simplyw00x
Quote:
How often would somebody hit cancel, then want to keep on reading in the thread anyway?

Having coded some phpbb stuff before, I can tell you easily that only about 3 people would have to use this before total time saved would be more than total time spent implementing this. And no, I don't plan on doing a proof-of-concept, because as James007 said, "Bondings is allergic to someone else's scripts".

Javascript is a bad idea both because it's semantically inaccurate - you might not have reached posting.php from the page stored in the browser's 'back' - and because javascript cannot be assumed. What's so hard about just duplicating the link to the thread, but calling it 'cancel'? Nothing, that's what.