FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

John Grisham

alextweewielers
Are there any Grisham readers out there and which book do you think is the best . I prefer:
The pelican brief
sprinqles
I haven't read any of Grisham's works but I read in the newspaper today that he's donating $5M to the victims of Hurrican Katrina. Smile
xiaarra
i have read a few, but not pelican brief. i liked the chamber... i dont know why. its not like its very interesting. but the story is good.
snowflake
I haven't read any of the 'serious' Grisham titles, only 'Skipping Christmas'. Razz Maybe when I'm older I'll enjoy and understand them.[/quote]
xiaarra
skipping christmas is pretty good... its quite different from his usual books.
NYBlue
Grisham gets better and better with each book he writes as most writers do.

When I first heard about his $5mil donation I was speechless. An absolutely phenomenal gesture of kindness.
EJohns
ive read the firm and it was excellent
currently im reading the broker and cant put it down
mOOnGuardian
I am reading the book. This is the first time i read it. Very nice
travian_porum
I liked all his books Razz.. but I think the Pelicanbrief was his best work as well Wink.. a writer with same kind of genre is Paul Doherty, did anyone of you read any of his books?
bewald
I think it was called the Painted House. Another non-crime/law type book, but still awesome.

I can't remember right now what it was called, but my favorite of Grisham's "Grisham-like" books was the one that was made into a movie with Claire Danes and Matt Damon... Which one was that? But then again the one made into a movie with Samuel L Jackson was awesome too (I'm talking about the books but its easier to refer to the movie when I can't remember the name)...

Too many to choose from!
mialynavahy
i have read the last juror, i like it, it's suspenseful and funny, i think that Grisham wrote the firm and a time to kill.
rainbow
I've read Runaway Jury and The Trial. Both excellent books to me. the movie version's of his books arent nearly as good - in Runaway Jury, the book is about a trial involving guns and the NRA, while the movie has the trial about smoking and if smoking kills or not. The movie didnt have nearly as much excitement as the book did. Grisham has to much detail to be translated to film accuritly - i'd reccommend reading the books to anyone.
prash
My favourite by John Grisham is "The Firm" and the "The Client".

Many of his books dont seem to have been made into movies Sad

I saw only "The runaway jury" as a movie
palavra
NYBlue wrote:
Grisham gets better and better with each book he writes as most writers do.

i don't agree

clint
run away jury
firm

were the very good books,i liked them very much
i read in a few days.i did'n want them to finish.

but "king of the torts" was bad
babyboyz
I like Grisham, I know in the end the person is going to get out of the legal battle but what keeps me gripped is how? How will he untangle the web. The first one I read was actually the Partner, I was stumped and when it ended I had to sit back and think about the book from start to finish, it was that surprising.

I then went on to read most of his books but the ones that stands out are :

the brothers - damn good idea, couldn't stop reading
the summons
the broker - recent but good nevertheless
the testament - bloody good didn't want it to end
the pelican brief
DawningLight
I have read all of them now. Some I have enjoyed but I did find tthem tedious and an uphill struggle sometimes. No reflection on Grisham, just not to my taste.
tony
Pelican Brief is definately his best book. I like some of his other stuff too though. Good author.
mialynavahy
i just read the testament : it's not his best book : i find some difficulties to finish it, a great story but very long, i prefer the last juror
saka
alextweewielers wrote:
Are there any Grisham readers out there and which book do you think is the best . I prefer:
The pelican brief

I love grisham. I have read a lot of his books. Lemme list and rate some of them for you Wink

1. A Time to Kill ****
2. The Firm *****
3. The pelican Brief *****
4. The Client *****
5. The Partner ***
6. The Testament ****
7. The Brethren ****
8. The Summons ***
9. The Last Juror ***
10.The Broker ****
discountcontacts
Im a writer wannabe, and I want to write some cheap fiction just out of interest. The topic Im gonna tackle is similar to Wall Street- about the ins and outs of high finance. The plot is basically two friends who became enemies battle it out using underhand methods in the corporate world. I know it sounds pretty cliche but can I have some critiques. thanks.
evanc88
I really like The King of Torts. I haven't read anything else by him though. Seen some of the movies based off of his stuff.
mmitch
I honetly like the street lawyer best. i am not really a big reader and it keep me thinking and i just couldnt put the book down. i also like how it tells how we can help the homeless and unfortent
BCP88
I am reading the new book now "De gevangene" in dutch, i think it is called "The inocent man" in english. It was my christmas present Very Happy
violetgnu
I read one...I think it was the King of Torts. It wasn't very memorable. Bit boring. Might have been the pacing, or the fact that I don't know much about the legal profession, so don't connect well with the writing.
jwunderlich
Grisham is a master of his craft. No one has ever regretted reading Teh Firm. But I really loved The Broker and even A Painted House. The latter was really a throw back weaving in imagery of Teh Grapes of Wrath with Twain classics like Huck Finn.
crimson_aria
i've only read The Chamber and I really loved it. i should try his other books.
kiwi65
I prefere The Client
MaxStirner
Difficult to pick favorites, but if I had to, I'd select "The King of Torts" and "The Runaway Jury", with "The Rainmaker" and "The Street Lawyer" coming in a close thirds/fourths. Mr. Grisham has the knack of writing entertaining, enthralling novels that address an injustice in such a humorous, way that every second chuckle gets stuck in your throat. Also, his books seem translatable to the silver screen, more so than many other authors'. Perhaps the fact that Mr. Grisham has never attempted to write a screenplay himself has helped. As much as I enjoy reading Stephen King, for example, many of his novels turned out to be terrible films (with notable exceptions such as "The Green Mile" which was a novella / short story)

bewald wrote:
I think it was called the Painted House. Another non-crime/law type book, but still awesome.

I can't remember right now what it was called, but my favorite of Grisham's "Grisham-like" books was the one that was made into a movie with Claire Danes and Matt Damon... Which one was that? But then again the one made into a movie with Samuel L Jackson was awesome too (I'm talking about the books but its easier to refer to the movie when I can't remember the name)...

Too many to choose from!

The books / films you are looking for are ...

• Claire Danes and Matt Damon in "The Rainmaker" (IMDb) (Wikipedia: book, film)
  • Samuel L Jackson in "A Time to Kill" (IMDb) (Wikipedia: book, film)

Samuel L. Jackson is of course, in my humble, subjective opinion, good at everything he does, from "Jackie Brown", "Sydney" and "Pulp Fiction" to "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas" (Officer Tenpenny Smile )

discountcontacts wrote:
Im a writer wannabe, and I want to write some cheap fiction just out of interest. The topic Im gonna tackle is similar to Wall Street- about the ins and outs of high finance. The plot is basically two friends who became enemies battle it out using underhand methods in the corporate world. I know it sounds pretty cliche but can I have some critiques. thanks.

Although I wouldn't put Mr. Grisham into the "cheap fiction" corner, just as Stephen King and Raymond Chandler don't belong there simply by choosing subject matters often associated with this type of writing, I would suggest you try reading "Michael Ridpath" if you are looking for inspirations in writing a novel set in "high finance".

rainbow wrote:
I've read Runaway Jury and The Trial. Both excellent books to me. the movie version's of his books arent nearly as good - in Runaway Jury, the book is about a trial involving guns and the NRA, while the movie has the trial about smoking and if smoking kills or not. The movie didnt have nearly as much excitement as the book did. Grisham has to much detail to be translated to film accuritly - i'd recommend reading the books to anyone.

Although it is probably true for every novel, that translating it to the screen means cutting and condensing story lines and characters, Mr. Grisham's novels seem to bear up rather well under that strain. I do wonder why the tobacco industry was dropped in favor of the NRA in "Runaway Jury", I kind of assume (without being able to substantiate this) that it was rather due to the fact that the tobacco industry is much better at lobbying their interests in Hollywood that the gun nuts who only have Mr. Heston as their "lovable" spokesman.

PS: I did enjoy "A Painted House", "Skipping Christmas" and especially "Bleachers" but I suppose I was too expectant of a "classic" Grisham courtroom thriller to appreciate them enough.
Dean_The_Great
The only one I've read is Painted House, but I think I want to read one of his Law Dramas, to see what he does when he is in his critical "element"
r4inm4ker
I love his novels! In fact, i got my nickname from him Very Happy
My favorite though is not "The Rainmaker", but Pelican Brief/Runaway Jury.
Nutteloos
Runaway Jury was indeed a great one. I've read quite a number of his books and that was definitely my favorite. His most recent one (The Appeal) was also quite good.
Wildchild
There arnt many that i have read but the most interesting of ther Grisham books was "The Rainmaker"
i absolutely loved the book gave me a whole new perception of Grisham as a writer .....Excellent ........fantastico..............bellisimo...........
but i do think that the movie really ddint do ny justice to the book .
theHKN
Grisham is a relatively talented writer. I've read a few of his novels. The Rainmaker was pretty good.
Dean_The_Great
Alright, so before I mentioned that I had only read Painted House, but now I've also read The Broker, which was very excellent. Great twists, believable characters, interesting international thriller-type plot. Oh yeah... definitely a fan. We'll see what happens when I read another. I hope that he manages to keep the pace equally high in a courtroom drama.
bigt
alextweewielers wrote:
The pelican brief

The Pelican Brief was the first Grisham book I ever read. I have since read most of his other books. Great author and Mississippian! Smile
Nutteloos
bigt wrote:
The Pelican Brief was the first Grisham book I ever read. I have since read most of his other books. Great author and Mississippian!

The movie made out of the Pelican Brief was pretty good, too.
dbershevits
I like him. But, he not my favorite Author.