FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

is it ever acceptable to say the "N" word

truespeed
Emily Parr was kicked out of the bigbrother house last night for using the "N" word...

Transcript of the conversation

Quote:
Emily: (referring to Charley dancing/pushing her hips forward) You pushing it out you n*****.
Nicky: (shocked laughter) Em, I can't believe you said that.
Charley: You are in trouble.
Emily: Don't make a big thing out of it then. I was joking.
Charley: I know you were... but that's some serious shit, sorry.
Emily: Why?
Charley: Oh my god. I'm not even saying it.
Nicky: Just don't talk about it anymore.
Emily: I was joking
Charley: Do you know how many viewers would watch that?
Nicky: Okay, don't make a big deal out of it.
Charley: Fancy you saying that. I can't believe you said that.
Emily: Somebody has already used that word in this house.
Charley: No way. (Pause) Yeah, me. I'm a n******.

Nicky laughs.

Charley: I am one. Fancy you saying it. I know maybe you see it in a rap song. Maybe you and your friends sit there saying it.
Emily: I'm friendly with plenty of black people.
Nicky: And you call them n*****s?
Emily: Yeah and they call me n*****s. They call me wiggers as well.
Nicky: I'm quite shocked.
Charley: I'm f****** in shock.
Emily: It's not a big deal though is it?
Charley: Not for us it ain't. F*** me.

Obviously in light of what happened in celebrity big brother and the whole shilpa shetty row,channel 4 had to act and remove emily from the house,as they couldnt risk their programme being taken off the air.

The question i suppose is,is this racism? is racism in the word or in the intent?
silverdown
I do not think it is because the "N" word was use to degrade and label the African Americans during the 1619-1877. Since this is now 2007 I think it is wrong 100% just as it was back then. Now if a African American says it without hurting the feelings of another , I am sure it ok , I have friends that do that to joke around. I also do not like to call or hear other refer African Americans as "Black People" it is just not right. People have called me names such as " N... Wannabe, White N.... ETC" but they quit after it did scratch my feelings.

Refrence Site :

http://www.liu.edu/cwis/CWP/library/aaslavry.htm
Vrythramax
I have to say I have mixed feelings about the use of the "N" word....sometimes it is used as a source of denogration, and other times as a show of friendship.

I think what's more important than the word itself is the context in which it is used.
rvec
i didn't know anyone made such a big deal out of it. I sometimes use it to black friends and white friends just like some other words other people would call offending. I think it's only a problem if such words are meant offending. And that is obliviously not the case here.
[FuN]goku
idk i personally dont use it myself nor do i really like it when other people use it.... but alot of african americans call them selves that so... idk
it could be used as an insult/racial slur
or it could be used as something toward frendship
darrenpaul
I'll be honest, I don't believe in her being thrown out. Its got far too politically correct. Their was no marcellious intent behind her words. "Words only intend what I intend them to mean"

How can someone be considered a racist if they are chatting, hugging and smoking with someone of an opposite race?

The word itself is horrible, but at the end of the day, it will only hurt you if you let it, that goes for any insult.
Vrythramax
[FuN]goku wrote:
idk i personally dont use it myself nor do i really like it when other people use it.... but alot of african americans call them selves that so... idk
it could be used as an insult/racial slur
or it could be used as something toward frendship

Isn't that kind of what I said? The word it seems to take on different meanings for different people. As a whole, I can find no use for it, but it still remains a large part of some peoples vocabulary, either as an insult or a show of friendship.

What a shame. Sad
Loghete
I have no problems saying the word, I don't say it as something offending. Just a synonym for someone with black skin. I think it's all right.
Though we don't have many black people to refer to here.. but if we discuss the word itself we never call it the n-word, just say the word. Why make it so complicated?
James007
In Dutch, you should say "black people" in stead of "n*****s". BUT actually "n*****" (neger) is more commonly used as "black [one]" (zwarte), and "zwarte" has actually become the swearing word.

They shouldn't call themselves niggers anyway. Racism against the black has long gone in this country (in Europe in general too actually), only in the USA it hasn't. Rolling Eyes
rvec
in Holland we are more concerned about the "wave of islamatizing" Confused
And I have some brown friends (not black) and we always call them ******, just like we call some others gay or fatty. Not meant as an insult and we know so, but other people always look very strange Very Happy
ninjakannon
I think it all depends on how the word is used. After all, you can make most words offensive in the right context / situation. For example, if someone who has had a drug problem with magic mushrooms but is now over that you could quite offend them, I'm sure, by calling them a "mushroom". That might sound quite strange and I know it's not the best example, but it's true.

I've heard black people use the "n" word when talking about themselves. In this context there's nothing wrong with it, in fact it's just another way of referring to them as "blacks".
If there was a word for whites that had the same kind of connotations and derivation then I don't believe I would be offended by the use of the word unless it was meant to offend - linking back to my first statement. In fact I've heard that whites are sometimes referred to as "milk faces"; when I heard that I laughed and by the way, I'm white. I found it quite amusing, and it was said in good taste.

The problem is that the word does have bad connotations. If I were to refer to blacks with the "n" word when just generally talking about them then some would not mind and some would burst into a fit. Really, it is just a word and it does depend on how you interpret it. I for one do see that some may see it as offensive because of its initial use. Yet, in some contexts I'm sure no one would be offended.

One problem with the reluctance to use the word is that this reluctance merely increases remembrance and links between the word and it's original meaning. Albus Dumbledore, from Harry Potter once said "Fear of the name only increases fear in the thing itself" (don't ask me how I remember that, I've only read the books once) - I think this is very relevant here.
How, though, can we get out of this rut and get over the bad connotations of the word? Or should we just stop using it? Well, if we did then when it was used - and trust me it would be occasionally - it would have far more impact than it does now. The more overused a word is, the less impact it has.
Henceforth, I think that while some may find this word offensive we cannot just stop using it. Eventually, the word should either leave common use or lose it's horrible connotations. If you are offended by the word then I would advise you not to be, however hard (or even ridiculous) this may seem. Getting angry isn't going to help anything, because we can't - and shouldn't [for the reason stated above] - stop using this word.

EDIT: I think in many cases the use of the "n" word is just an observation. Just like you may say someone is fat; which reminds me... I have a friend who isn't fat, but slightly over average. We joke, all the time, about his weight and always take it to extremes. Yet he isn't offended, because we know the context and we know that we're not being serious.
The problem about making a joke like this involving race is that people these days are scared to say anything that might wildly be considered to be racism. So even if you say something perfectly fine you are likely to find people are shocked by what you have said. It's the culture at the moment and boy is it a horrible one - yet it's a rut we won't find ourselves out of any time soon. In fact, some black people take advantage of the situation as they seem to take the use of the "n" word by a white person as an excuse for them to beat them up or in some way abuse / harass them. So although these people may occasionally be offended by the use of the word they may not want to change it's connotations because of their abhorrent 'blood lust'.
Aless
In short: no.

However, I don't think they should've thrown Emily out. Just the night before the aired the special about Princess Diana's death that both princes vocally pleaded not be aired. I think Channel 4 is just trying to cover their own butts & create sensationalism at the same time.
scotty
Sometimes it is inappropriate but me and my friends who aren't black use it just to say "Sup nigga?" Or things like that. That said I only ever do it with people I know because some people do take offence at it or mean bad things when they say it, I just like the word and they way black people actually use it. I love it when they say it (thinking of dave chapelle lol!)
XxeroxX
yea i dont think it's that inappropriate to say the N word, especially today. many words have been changed to mean different things, and sometimes it's a friendly way of greeting people. sometimes, when i walk down the halls of my school, hear people saying "sup nigga'" all the time and the other person doesnt take it offensively. Also, theres also the case "watup shorty" or "how ya doin' fatte?" i mean, no one cares what they are being called anymore unless it's being used in a bad way. for example if you go up to a black dude and you say "F*** u N*****", they will obviously respond in a bad way. So, i believe that swears right now depends on the content and place at which tehy are beign said. if they are being said in a derogatorative kind of way, then they can be considerent bad language and should, thus, be banned. however, there are always times whne swears can sound very friendly and non-derogrative.
Josso
It all depends on the context really. That big brother thing probably shouldn't have got her out of the "content" (not that I approve of big brother here ok... Laughing) but considering what happened last time it was probably a good idea on the producers side. There's so much media hype unfortunatly.
alexdude
Its a horrible word to say to anyone.
krazy
that 'N' word is a horrible word to use if it is meant in a racist way or not.
but Emily in the big brother house said it slipped out.
but to me, that word would not slip out of my mouth ever, as it is not a word that i use at all, so something tells me it is a word she uses a lot for it to slip out in conversation.

but yeah it is a horrible word to use.
Vrythramax
With all due respect to everyone that has posted here, most of the posts now are just repeating things already said...or bordering on becoming somewhat racial.

Until another Mod wishes the topic re-opened it's -closed-.