FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

"Preparing to Install" every time start Word/any O

Dwyer17
Every time I start any Office 2003 application, like Word or Outlook, windows installer pops up for a while and says "preparing to install". It installs nothing. When I press cancel, the application starts, when I don't press cancel, the application also starts. It's basically wasting my time and ticking me off. How can I fix this, anyone know?
RiCtee
I have this problem sometimes too. But usually it only pops up once, do some crap, and that's all. I think you might have to put in your Microsoft Office installation disc when it pops up and let it search for the crap needed to do the basically useless crap. Razz That's one reason why I'm not a big fan of Microsoft.
orcaz
I think I met wif the same problem as urs last time. i was running word on a limited user account, and dis happened. wad i did was reinstall office, and aft the installation is done, do not clear your cache or temporary files and immediately log off baq to ur limited account and run word. It will run "preparing to install" for the first time, but aft tt, it won't happen again. If ur problem doesn't happen in limited user account, then dis solution prolly doesnt work.
yjwong
Sometimes the reason why the "Preparing to Install..." box comes out are different. You can wait till the "Preparing to Install" ends. At times it will prompt for the installation source. At that moment, if you still have the MSOCache folder (Microsoft Office Installation Backups), browse to it. Otherwise insert your Microsoft Office CD and let it copy the files it needs. After that the "Preparing to Install" box shouldn't appear again.
why6487
First: Microsoft Office needs to run Windows Installer once. Just insert that weird Office 2003 disc and let it do it's crap. Or browse to a MSOCache folder and it do some crap.

Second: Office's install got damaged, reinstall that crappy suite and let the M$ Windows installer configure that crappy program.

That's why I don't like /\/\$.
blueray
This dialog box will popup for two reason I have experienced were:

1.) When Office 2003 is damaged. Such as some files are missing.
2.) When switched to a new user that haven't the office settings on the application data folder in the user profile.

It is based-on stand-alone system only.
And the same thing will also do on Visual Studio.net 2003