FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Looking for recipes

trousersalive
Is there a food forum here? i dont think so. Anyway...

Im looking for recipes that are cheap and easy to feed a house of 5 hungry snowboarders. Im pretty sure they will just about eat anything.
jwellsy
Crockpot meals.
Chili is the obvious one.

Another one is barbecue.
Find the cheapest pork roast you can usually ~$1.19lb.
A 5lb roast would be $6.
Get a small bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's Barbecue Sauce ~$2.50 .
In the morning put the roast in a crockpot and cover it with water.
Add salt and pepper.
Let it cook all day.
That evening lift the roast out of the pot and pull it apart, and discard the fat.
Pour all the broth out of the pot into a bowl.
Put the pulled pork back into the crockpot.
Add about 1 cup of the broth and the small bottle of BQ sauce.
Put the rest of the broth in the fridge.
Stir the mixture and let it heat for an hour if you can.
Heat up a can of corn.
Chow down.

The next day use the rest of the broth to cook dried beans in the crock all day.

Roast $6
Sauce $2.50
Corn $0.80
Dry beans $2.00

Thats 2 evening meals for 5 people for less than $15.
Whoohoo lets ride.
panic15
I don't have a recipe, however I have a good site. It has a 'Fast food' section where it has the recipes for healthy, tasty 'quick to cook' food
www.channel4.com/fword .... Gordan Ramsey

I know this cause i watch the show Razz
kevin briggs
corny spaghetti.

INGREDIENTS
10 ounces angel hair pasta
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 teaspoon minced garlic
3 zucchini, diced
1 pound button mushrooms, quartered
1/4 cup red wine
1 (16 ounce) jar pasta sauce
1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
DIRECTIONS
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
While pasta is cooking, in large skillet over medium heat, saute onion in butter 2 minutes. Stir in garlic and zucchini and cook 3 minutes more. Add mushrooms and cook 5 minutes more, until mushrooms are soft. Pour in red wine and pasta sauce, reduce heat to low and simmer. Add corn and bring back to a simmer again to heat through.
Serve sauce over pasta with a dab of butter, or toss together.
livilou
It's not a forum, but a great site for crockpot recipes is www.justslowcooking.com I use this one all the time. The recipes are very simple to make.
jenice
There's a cookbook that I love and use often, "Cooking Light: 5 Ingredient, 15 Minute Cookbook," and the title describes the book perfectly.

One of my favorite meals in there is super easy to make, considered light, but oddly enough is very filling.

Sausage and Black Bean Soup

total time: 16 minutes

INGREDIENTS
* cooking spray (or cooking oil)
* 6 oz. turkey kielbasa sausage, sliced
* 1 c. diced green, sweet red, or yellow pepper (or a half package of the pre-sliced and prepared mixed pepper mix)
* 1 (14.25 oz.) can fat-free, reduced sodium chicken broth (any chicken broth works just fine, and I usually use the Natural Goodness variety from Swanson)
* 1 (15 oz.) can no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 c. picante sauce or salsa
* Chopped cilantro (optional)

DIRECTIONS
Coat a medium saucepan with cooking spray; place over medium-high heat until hot. Add sausage, and sauté 1 minute or until sausage begins to brown (NOTE: this is very important to the overall flavor of the dish). Add pepper; sauté 1 minute.
Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; add beans and picante sauce, and simmer, covered, 5 minutes. Top with cilantro, if desired.

Yield: 4 (1 cup) servings.

SERVING SUGGESTIONS
You can serve them with quesadillas or tortilla chips. How the recipe book suggests making them is to coat a pan with cooking spray, then spread shredded cheese and chopped green onions over a flour tortilla. Place another on top, then cook on each side until lightly browned. You cut them into wedges (using a pizza cutter is easiest) and serve a few with each bowl.

Total cost of doing both the soup and the quesadillas is around around $15 for 8 servings.
trousersalive
This is all good stuff! Keep up the good work. We should all be fattys by the end of the snow season!
taytay
I have the best recipe for Chocolate Chip Cookies..

It's a family secret.. but I'll just say it has Something to do with 5 dollars, a younger sister, and an Albertsons down the street Very Happy

Then the lazy menz personal favorite, Grilled Cheese!
Things of Need:
-Butter or Margarine
-Two slices of White Bread
-Slices of cheese or a cheese block
-Butter knife
-Non-stick pan
-Stove
-The want for a grill cheese "sammich"
-Rubber Spatchula

If you've never done this before it's not too hard.

First things first, smoothly BUTTER ONE side of ONE piece of WHITE BREAD.
Then put that piece, BUTTERED side DOWN on the PAN.
Then lay your cheese slices on the piece of bread; Be sure not to have to much cheese or it will melt over when cooking. Also be sure your laid cheese is not sitting over the edge of the crust.
Next BUTTER ONE SIDE of your SECOND piece of WHITE BREAD, and lay it on your "sammich" buttered side UP.
If you have not done so, place your pan with the uncooked "sammich" on your stove and cook on next to lowest setting.
Let cook and check under side periodically. When it has turned a crisp LIGHTISH Brown, use spatchula to flip the "sammich" and commence with cooking the other side.
When your second side has turned a crisp lightish brown as well, turn off stove and move "sammich" to a plate
Now you may begin admiring your work.
If you have done something wrong and your "sammich" has burned, please grab a cup and fill with toilet water and chug it as your punishment for committing this horrible "should be" crime, then try again.
Repeat step explained above if a burning event occurs again.

If you have successfully made yourself a Lovely Grilled Cheese "Sammich", you may proceed with boasting about it in your friends/family/room mates faces that they were to lazy to make a "Sammich" of their own. If you only live with your girlfriend/wife however, Consume "sammich" As soon as possible before your coaxed to give it up, or worse... Share.

Enjoy!
thealpha
Yes, i also wish to learn more about cooking through this forum and thanks for all your shares
costelino
Rice Tarragon
1 c Rice, uncooked
1/2 ea Onion, chopped
2 ea Cubes bouillon
2 ts Tarragon, crushed
1/4 c Butter
1/4 ts Pepper
2 c Water, boiling

Heat butter in a deep skillet. Add rice and onions and
saute', stirring frequently until rice is light brown
and onions are transparent. Dissolve bouillon in
boiling water and pour over rice. Cover tightly and
simmer until rice is tender (about 20 minutes).
woundedhealer
I'd go for hotpot type meals, served with crusty bread. These meals are cheap as you can use cheap cuts of meat and seasonal vegatables or even frozen ones. they're nutritious, filling and easy to make. They won't spoil if they're late for dinner and if you cook to much it can be used next day or frozen.
trousersalive
OK so now we are all starting to pack on the weight! hahaha, go the cheap food. And lots of it.