FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

"Say Cheese!"..."Why?"

pampoon
Have you ever wondered why people are supposed to smile when they take a picture? Where did that habit begin? Why was smiling chosen as the default for picture-taking?

What if you look better exhausted or angry or even depressed?

Anyone have thoughts on this? You can go ahead and research your reply, but please try to include your opinion too.

God bless,
Pampoon
reddishblue
OK, to say cheese, the ee sound requires a mouth movement into a smile-like shape, so they are trying to get you to smile.

As for your question about why you have to smile, think of a friend of yours, now imagine if they were crying, or angry at you, then decide if thats the best for a picture. Wink
UnikeViruz
Lol, This is funny. Very Happy Maybe they say cheese because it's something stupid to say to make somone smile for the picture? *Possibly right...* *Probably wrong...*
Nameless
People would rather look back at pictures of themselves smiling as opposed to frowning or blank faces because they want to remember the GOOD times, and their smiling represents that.

Also, I don't know anybody who doesn't look better smiling and happy than depressed and mopey.
LostOverThere
Yeah, and look at a photo where someones smiling. You think "Aww, that's Nice".

Then look at a photo where someones unhappy. You just think, "Ha, Emo"
Loghete
Haha, when I first just read the title of this topic, I was like hey wtf, are they talking about that movie I'm making?.

You know, I'm making a movie together with LostOverThere called 'Say Cheese!'
ocalhoun
It wasn't always that way. Look at a very old photo, and you'll notice that everyone looks very solemn. Back then, that was the way one was supposed to look in a photo.
Example:

You think anybody told them to say cheese? No.

I wonder what the next fasion for expressions in photos will be... Candid shots?
pampoon
ocalhoun wrote:
I wonder what the next fasion for expressions in photos will be... Candid shots?
Ha...

Good answers, everyone. I've just always wondered why we smile instead of other expressions. And how cheese got involved with picture taking. There are many other words that cause you to have a smiling face...why cheese?

God bless Wink ,
Pampoon
truespeed
Re-ocalhoun

Back then though didnt they have to stand or sit still for a long period of time while the film plate got exposed to the light or something,perhaps this is why they didnt smile,as holding a smile for such a long period would of been difficult.
XKaktusX
When you say chesse you looks like a happy Wink
James007
Nobody knows an answer to that question. Even a discussion about it isn't necessary, so this topic is closed.

Please make more useful threads...