FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Moving from Direct admin to cpanel?

Handyman
Is there a way to transfer files and datadases from DA to Cpanel?

Can I just make an archive and restore it in cpanel?
pampoon
You mean on FriHost?

Only users who were here early enough to see Server 1 start-up have cpanel accounts. All Server 2 users have Direct Admin.

Now, I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that you can not get cpanel on Server 2, and judging by your join date, you're on Server 2.

Sorry to disappoint.

God bless,
Pampoon
Handyman
I am asking because I have outgrown Frihost and I need to switch hosts for my business site.
Arnie
Files are a matter of FTPing the whole lot to your hard drive, and then uploading it to your new hosting. Databases are a matter of exporting via phpMyAdmin on the Frihost server and importing to phpMyAdmin on your new host (nearly every host has phpMyAdmin).

If you're running a CMS or forums or something like that you may need some tinkering. For example you may need to change the base URL setting of your CMS.
Josso
Yeah, for files like .htm and directories just FTP then off onto your hard drive then upload to your new hosts. For your database(s) you'll need to back them up in the form of .SQL or in a compressed format like .GZ - if your using phpBB2 for example there's a backup feature in the administration panel but you can do this directly in DirectAdmin by looking at your databases then backing the specific database up.
Animal
-moved- from General Chat.
mOrpheuS
Handyman wrote:
I am asking because I have outgrown Frihost and I need to switch hosts for my business site.

Your new host should be able to help you with the migration, although they can possibly refuse to do it across different control panels.

In which case, you should manually take backups of your public_html directory and any mysql databases and restore/upload them at your new host.

That's really all there is to it.