FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Bermuda Triangle Mystery

_AVG_
I was just watching this documentary on the Bermuda Triangle. There have been some strange disappearances and abnormal happenings there. Planes, ships and people known to have gone in there haven't been found till today.

Moreover, as soon as they enter the Triangle, all compassses go haywire.

Even radio signals start fading away.

So what is the mystery of the Bermuda Triangle?

Are there some sinister aliens or other forces which are reeking havoc over there or is there some scientific explanation?

Please put forward your theories.
Gagnar The Unruly
Wikipedia, as always, has a lot to say on the subject. It all sounds reasonable to me. As I mentioned in the "magic" post, what's most interesting to me is the reason why people tend to latch onto things like this so strongly.
The Conspirator
What mystery? What some anecdotal story, some "this happened to a friend of a friend of a friend" crap, some idiot pilot who was so stupid that he ignored all his training when his compass pointed one way and he thought he was going another (pilot are train (even in the 30's and 40's) to ignore there instincts and rely on there instruments (when the thinks he's going one way and the compass says hes going another, hes going the other, he's wrong)
There is no mystery, the percentage of plain and ships lost is the same as the rest of the world.
hackone
i do not think it is some mystery. just a few disappearances and thats all. it is just normal place, nothing mysterious. people live there, planes fly through there and ships sail also. nothing happens.
calm down Laughing
Indi
There is lots of info already in this thread.
Tom7
there will always be skeptical people
The Conspirator
Tom7 wrote:
there will always be skeptical people

Yes, those pesky skeptics! Always pointing out the lack of evidence, the holes in the evidence, and the contrary evidence! The world would be a much better place if they would stop questioning and just except what we say as fact no matter what the evidence said.
dbhai
I think bermuda triangle is a illusion rather than fiction or mystery.
SkinnyV
I watched a couple documentary on this and kinda stoped finding it interesting. I'm starting to believe the ship were lost becuase of bad weather in this area etc...
Manuel
No offence but, how do you know compasses go crazy and radio signals dissapear?

Thats what people say.

If you have ever been to the bermuda triangle, you should know that nothing happens

My cousins have even swam in the bermuda triangle and they are alive and they did not dissapear.

And fi you are there and the radio sigamls disspaear and the compsses go crazy, that may be because od electromagnetic fields
KronikSindrome
A freind of mine's father was supposed to be on a ship
that disappeared there...lucky him he broke his leg.

There's no evidence to a lot of things...but that's because I destroyed it Laughing
which is why those pictures of me and the goat never got out.

anyway!

my theory (which is an unpopular one, I've borrowed it from Edgar
Caycee readings) is that the bermuda triangle is located over the
remnants of the lost city of Atlantis. Very Happy yep yep yep.

yeah you can throw rocks at me now....heh. Wink
dbhai
Bermuda triangle is a place where many ships have drowned so it is called mystery
Manuel
KronikSindrome wrote:

There's no evidence to a lot of things...but that's because I destroyed it Laughing

anyway!

That is one of the best theories I have ever heard!!! Smile
_AVG_
Manuel wrote:
KronikSindrome wrote:

anyway!

Well, that puts forward the inevitable question: DO YOU BELIEVE IN ATLANTIS'S PRESENCE?
KronikSindrome
yes...yes I do.

but I also beleive in Big Foot (I like to go bigfoot hunting)

and I'm fairly certain that there is a gobblin in my toaster that
makes my toast get brunt every stinkin' time!!!!!!

can I scientificaly prove it?

no.....but sometimes you have to trust your intuition Very Happy
_AVG_
A Goblin inside your Toaster?

What nonsense!

I can prove it impossible scientifically.

Why don't you rip open your toaster and see its absence?
Furthermore, couldn't it be burnt to death if it were present in your Toaster?
Bikerman
The name of this forum is science and nature, not fantasy and fiction......
newolder
KronikSindrome wrote:
yes...yes I do.

but I also beleive in Big Foot (I like to go bigfoot hunting)

and I'm fairly certain that there is a gobblin in my toaster that
makes my toast get brunt every stinkin' time!!!!!!

can I scientificaly prove it?

no.....but sometimes you have to trust your intuition Very Happy

Regarding the gobblin in toaster causing burntness, have you tried a Bayesian approach? I'm sure it would clarify a few observations.

Cheers for now, ed. Smile
Ennex
I always liked the idea of Atlantis being where the mysterious triangle is, however there isn't anything that can make ships just disappear, unless the city can not be seen on radar, seen on global satellite photos and other things like that. However there was a documentary on it that these certain devices are in the ocean that deflect all sensor readings. This could just be bull but it's pretty interesting just to know what some people think about it.
Bikerman
[edited due to the fact that it was originally written when sleep-starved and contained a plethora of grammatical and spelling errors. Any errors that remain are just down to ignorance]

Ohh this is begging to be taken further. I feel a story coming on.....shaggy dog anyone?

The Goblin is only 3 Faerie-mass units and is therefore contra-Quantum in nature rather than reversely-relativistic. Now if you then introduce the subtle arts of Bayesian math into this mix, we will soon get weird faerie-Physics happening.

Recall that the Goblin is believed to be in the toaster by Kronik as he makes his toast, and further is blamed for interaction with the machine causing burnt toast. But, I ask, supposing someone else in the house (anyone - doesn't matter who) is a big fan of Welsh Rarebit - that sublime version of cheese on toast raised to culinary heights, and further suppose that this person makes this feast regularly, using the kitchen grill as well as the hob in approved manner.

Now, it is perfectly feasible that this person should also believe in the existence of the Goblin, since he will no doubt have heard Kronik in conversation with the creature and assumed that this lends credence to the story. Now if they both firmly believe the Goblin is in their particular appliance (and why would they not - these are people who talk to Goblins for goodness sake, they are likely to believe anything) then Bayesian probability means that the Goblin would fail to exist in their appliance (toaster or grill) at a probability proportional to their particular level of belief. We should add here that despite repeated and thorough observation over the months by a couple of passing tramps we pad a fiver each to, we can say with certainty that nobody has ever seen the Goblin travel between the Toaster and the Grill during cooking. This would seem to suggest that the Goblin must be failing to be in both appliances during the cooking at the same moment....

This problem was solved with the introduction of the new Shamus Malloy Standard Model for Faerie Physics recently. The model predicts that the Goblin will behave in a contra-Quantum manner - in other words it will act in defiance of the laws of Quantum physics, rather than trolls and elves which we are more used to and which act, because of their much greater mass, in defiance of the laws of relativity, not Quantum physics. This was the long awaited break-though in Faerie Physics and earned Malloy the prestigious Terry Wogan Open Medal for Science/Best Sermon/Most Cheerful Checkout Operative) * that year.

*Terry later explained that the medal is only awarded every 3 years to a scientist, and was sure Malloy agreed that this made it more special than a Nobel prize. Mr Malloy had no comment.

Researchers now applied the Schrödinger wave-function solution in quantum physics to the position of the Goblin using the Bayesian Probability function generated by the belief of the observers. This allowed them to predict with complete accuracy where the Goblin would fail to appear when the wave-function collapses. The Goblin, I should say, actually fails to exists as a probability wave-function during cooking and, in a sense, can be thought of as not being potentially in both toaster and grill. When the cooking is finished, however, it is necessary for the Goblin to not be in a specific place now. It must either fail to appear in the toaster or the grill. Theorists worked out that this meant that the toaster pop-up or the grill 'ping' would immediately collapse the wave-function causing the Goblin to definitely not appear in the appliance with the greatest level of faith by the observer using that appliance. *
*(This existing as a probability is a well known behaviour in Quantum physics known as superposition state . In technical terms there are a number (here only 2) positions (called eigenvalues) which the Goblin could fail to be in at any moment in time and until the options are reduced to 1 by observation when the cooking finishes, the Goblin potentially doesn't exist in both at the same time.)

So scientists now had a good theory to model the non-appearance of the Goblin accurately by measuring* the belief of the observer that it would appear.

*The measurement of faith level is done with special apparatus and requires:
  • a Catholic priest
  • a 5 ml bottle of altar incense (Frankincense)
  • a Silver Plated incense boat
  • 2 cc of holy water
  • 5-8 years access to the subject during formative years as a child

This now inevitably leads on to a paradox called the Bayesian Goblin paradox. The Goblin is not toasted and not grilled AT THE SAME TIME, during the cooking. In a sense the Goblin can be said to not exist in both appliances at the same time and indeed this is the interpretation put on the results by people who are either very stupid but think they are quantum physicists, or very clever and actually pretending not to know about Quantum physics. Only when cooking is finished and the superpositional state is collapsed can we finally tell if the Goblin has been not grilled or not toasted. The experiment has been subsequently repeated many times and in every case the goblin fails to appear exactly as predicted by the theory which seems to indicate that the theory is a powerful tool in understanding why the Goblin doesn't appear in both positions at the same time until observed at which point it definitely doesn't appear at one position with absolute predictability according to the probability at the moment of collapse. This major breakthrough has had a tremendous influence throughout society in Ireland and the number of physicists studying at Dublin university has peaked at a 100-year high this year, with the enrolment of the son of the Head of Physics at the University on a physics major course. The student was recently asked to leave the seminary he was previously studying at for: heretical use of Quantum Physics, according to his excommunication certificate.*
*(The Vatican refused to comment further but John (the student) explained the events. We have changed the typeface to protect his identity)

Quote:
We were carrying out a controlled experiment using the new Quantum theory to predict the definite non-appearance of God - Catholics believe that God actually performs a miracle at the moment the Priest blesses the hosts (bread), and that the bread actually becomes the body of Jesus and not just a symbolic representation. This is what we call Transubstantiation
We are aiming at collapsing a wave-function at the precise moment of Transubstantiation under carefully controlled experimental conditions, which mainly involve carefully modulated torture of an altar-boy in order to create the Bayesian probability function. We select the most devout altar boys for this, we torture them carefully using secret methods developed in the Spanish Inquisition, until the boy is certain that he will die, and, because of his piety, also believes that God will intervene at the moment of death and take him straight to heaven without stopping at Purgatory on the way. When the boy is certain (ie the probability is 1), the priest opens the door to the Tabernacle, performs the sacred rights over the bread hosts, and puts the Chalice container into a sealed lead container secured in a deep tank filled with sharks and surrounded by barbed wire. As the probability wave-function hits 100% certainty we activate a laser containment field around the Tabernacle. This would therefore trap God in the tabernacle at the moment of appearance and there would be no way for him to escape - we have him trapped.

The experiment was repeated over 900 times in all, which is one reason this month's Catholic Herald carries 2 full page adverts aimed at increasing altar-boy recruitment urgently.

Quote:
In each experiment we got a 100% confirmation that God was not present at the exact moment we predicted. This represents a very convincing result of Gods existence which I think is completely conclusive.

These were the words of an very excited looking Cleric in long Robes who we found later is called Monseigneur Josephe Valatios, of the 4rd division of the Papal bodyguard; 2nd Armoured Jesuit Company.
He went on:
Quote:
We predicted this result before the experiment, because clearly God would, being omniscient, change reality at the moment of his capture so that cause-effect were changed enough to ensure he never appeared in the first place. That is a specific and detailed prediction, in true scientific manner. I think you must agree. In EACH and EVERY case the experiment clearly demonstrates this happening, as God managed to change causality every time and avoid capture. I call that overwhelming evidence of the existence of God and I fail to understand how any scientist could even think to disagree - the data are prefect... quite exiting results.

Some priests have hailed this experimental demonstration of the existence of God as a hopeful sign of rapprochement between science and religion, and hope that science will soon realise the evil of its ways and come crawling back.*
*A Scientist interviewed yesterday had no comment when confronted with the questions from the Monsignor and later committed suicide saying he couldn't live with the guilt of being a scientist any longer. A Jesuit spokesman later commented that the ignorant wretch was so ignorant that he didn't realise that his suicide was the one final way of ensuring that he would burn for eternity in the flames of hell.

We wanted to pursue this but unfortunately he had to return at that point to teaching his confirmation children ready for next weeks national confirmation ceremony during which all the children in the UK will be confirmed into the Catholic faith, with the threat of a 5 month sentence year sentence in Tony Blair's new Catholic Dungeon run by former education minister Ruth Kelly and aimed at making sinners love the pain of redemption.

============================================================

Thinking about this a bit more, I reckon the Goblin is not only Quantum, but much more as well. I am thinking that the Goblin would eventually become super-probabilistic as well as super-positional.
Consider if both observers are certain that the Goblin is in their appliance. The combined probabilities exceed 1 and the Goblin is therefore not only in 2 places at once, he's in 2 places at once and 2 times-frames at 1 event interval. This clearly requires time to be quantised, meaning we are probably arriving at a Spin-Network theory of Quantum Goblinity which could lead to a Grand Unified Gauge Goblin Gestalt....Very exciting and deep physics coming out of this..

The emerald isle has produced some of the finest physics minds in the profession recently due to the new Faery Physics and is promising to go even further into a leading role in world physics when it unveils the new most powerful platform for particle Faerie-Physics ever planned.
The O'Connor Rainbow collider which is planned to generate around a Giga-gnomes of Faerie-Physics particle smashing energy (that's about ten-Terra-trolls in the old measure) and should be enough to finally answer one of the last great questions in of Faerie physics - the question of the Faerie-field produced by a theoretical particle called the Top-Troll, nicknamed the Paddy-Particle and never yet witnessed in experiment.

Theorist predict that around 5 Terra-trolls of energy should be enough to see the elusive Top-Troll.

The top Particle-Pummellers and Quantum-Queerfellas in Irish physics have gathered in County Cork by a remote lake for the most important and historic experiment in Irish history.
By accelerating a supermassive Potato-Particle up to about 9 (on the Murphy scale) and then directing the particle straight at the particle smasher - a specially constructed 5ft pick-axe handle specially sharpened by Shamus' cousin and made from the finest Irish bog-oak available, - the team is hoping to produce an entirely new phase of matter in the experiment, which they have provisionally labelled Monster Mash or the M-field

It is in this new phase of matter that the elusive Paddie-Particle is thought to be trapped.
It cannot avoid interaction with the Monster Mash and this slows it down to fast walking speed which should allow the team to catch the particle using their new Honda scooter and butterfly containment system with retracting pole.

The Paddy-Particle, is of course, thought by many Faerie-Physicists to be the ultimate particle of power in the universe which originally caused the formation of the Big-Bar - the first organised matter in the universe, which followed after the mysterious event the previous day which theorists only refer to as the era of last orders.

The universe as we know it was formed when a reaction occurred between a particle made up of gaseous plasma ions trapped in a suspension of liquid under 2 atmospheres pressure just outside Dublin. The mixture is thought to have quickly gone critical when it reacted with more liquid and exploded with huge force all throughout the country. It is gratifying to Englishmen such as myself that the Irish scientists remember that it was a British team that discovered this precursor material. This is commemorated to this day in Ireland. The material, you recall was ions of gas suspended in liquid at 2 bar pressure, which has over the years become known as the Bar-Bar-Ion. The cry can always be heard as the English proudly walk the streets in parts of Ireland - English BarBarIon...English BarBarIon.
It brings a tear to the eye and a lump to the throat.

PS - the liquid was thought to be an early form of bog-alcohol distilled from peat and potato peelings and was rumoured to be foul stuff. By an undisclosed reaction with the English BarBarIon, the liquid took on an almost pure black colour, became much more bitter and formed a permanent froth scum on the top. . You can buy replicas of this liquid in most hostelries locally and the natives will tell you it is safe to drink in small quantities.
Ask for Guinness.
Indi
Oh man. ^_^ Armoured Jesuit Company. Irish particle physicists and their particle collider. "Contra-Quantum rather than Reversely-Relativistic." Classic.

Sadly though, possibly more plausible than the Bermuda "Triangle". Certainly more interesting.
KronikSindrome
Maybe there's just some unkown magnetic like substance deep
under the ocean floor that throws it all off.....

-lmao- @ the Goblin science there...very nice -applauds-

I decided to find out by smashing my toaster open,
turns out it wasn't a gobblin at all...it was a Fornit!
which everyone knows is much smarter...so it got away....

now.....does anyone know how to put a toaster back togeather?

(yes I know it is science not fantasy...but I think there is still a little room for hummor in science eh?)

(oh yes...and for the reccord..I am a girl...hence the picture eh...not
that it matters, and I kinda like it when mistaken...makes me feel manly
...heh...anyhow...over n out)
Jinx
Bikerman - loved the satire... I haven't laughed that hard in ages. Kind of reminded me of Douglas Adams.

I read somewhere that if you compare the number of disappearances in the triangle to disappearances elsewhere on the seas as a percentage of overall traffic then the triangle really doesn't have any more losses than any other part of the sea. It's just a high traffic area. It's also prone to sudden storms, hurricanes, pirates (yes, even in modern times there are pirates in the Carribean, only nowadays they use speedboats and assault rifles).

I'd love to believe that there is something weird going on there, it would certainly be more interesting than the truth.

I've been through the Bermuda Triangle twice, on a cruise ship that crosses that corner of the triangle every day on it's daily run from Miami to Freeport, Grand Bahama Island, Bahamas. Every Day. The only unusual thing that I saw was a cloud formation that cast an interesting shadow in the light of the setting sun. Luckily, I had my camera handy:

(The only way this photo has been altered is by the addition of the watermark. I had to add the water mark because I have the photo on sale with a stock photography library. If you want a copy go to fotolia.com, search for "Hand of God", and pay a buck for it - please don't try to steal it.)

It's an interesting coincidence that this particular shadow happened to appear in the sky as we were in the Bermuda Triangle, but I think that's all it was - a coincidence.
romaop
I don't know but doubt about the so special Bermuda triangle. Earth electromagnetic fields might explain a supposed different electromagnetic behavior.
It's one more legend like Loch Ness, Atlantis and so on. People tend to exaggerate what actually happened and the place becomes filled with mysticism.

The "invisible man" is an old TV series. I wonder if the guy was from the Bermuda triangle. Too much Bermuda exposure might make you become invisible. FRIGHTENED? Just go there and don't bother about this nonsense. Well, you never know. Watch out!
_AVG_
About the photo, what exactly is that a shadow of? Or is it just a well-defined hand-shaped cloud?
Bikerman
Jinx wrote:
Bikerman - loved the satire... I haven't laughed that hard in ages. Kind of reminded me of Douglas Adams.
I can conceive of no finer compliment, thanks.
Jinx
I'm not sure what it was a shadow of, but I'm sure it was a shadow in the clouds, and not a cloud itself. It just looked very much like a hand. It was very large, and it only lasted a few minutes. The hand started out much better defined, but by the time I got my camera turned on and snapped the picture it was already starting to fade.
My best guess is that the setting sun bas being blocked by a thick hand-shaped cloud which cast the shadow on the higher clouds... but I don't know for sure.
Manuel
_AVG_ wrote:
Manuel wrote:
KronikSindrome wrote:

anyway!

Well, that puts forward the inevitable question: DO YOU BELIEVE IN ATLANTIS'S PRESENCE?

Well, I don´t, but its a funny theorie Embarassed Smile Laughing