FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

History of Punk Rock (page im working on)

mattyj
http://mattyj.frih.net/punk.html

Page I am currently working on, after comments on design and layout, and also if there is anyone into Punk music, on the writeup and bands i've choosen, cheers! Dancing

also none of the other links are active so dont try them Wink
SimonWSTS
I disagree with the first paragraph Laughing the likes of the sex pistols who personified the genre which was accessible to the advancing trends of youth mentality actually worked often around just TWO chords at a time. The music was simple but played by musicians who were competant and the result was something that was accessible and the youth loved it.
Manus et Therion
You go into this American Punk and British Punk comparison and that's cool and all... but I lived in Huntington Beach with my buddy Mike Roach at the time (name dropper!) and I'm kinda sorta vaguely remember we were calling it East Coast vs West Coast vs Import at the time. But maybe my memory is hazy... I mean... I was Too Drunk to F**k at the time.

But yeah, you don't mention TSOL or the Vandals or any of the real West Coast pioneers of the sound.

Hey, have you seen Suburbia? Now there's an interesting movie for you to look at. And for History lessons, try American Hardcore. Both are available on DVD. Enjoy.
mattyj
Manus et Therion wrote:
You go into this American Punk and British Punk comparison and that's cool and all... but I lived in Huntington Beach with my buddy Mike Roach at the time (name dropper!) and I'm kinda sorta vaguely remember we were calling it East Coast vs West Coast vs Import at the time. But maybe my memory is hazy... I mean... I was Too Drunk to F**k at the time.

But yeah, you don't mention TSOL or the Vandals or any of the real West Coast pioneers of the sound.

Hey, have you seen Suburbia? Now there's an interesting movie for you to look at. And for History lessons, try American Hardcore. Both are available on DVD. Enjoy.

The Vandals are on there Wink Also most of the other West Coast bands are also on there...Dead Kennedys, Descendents, Black Flag, etc... Very Happy
soulman
I don't know much of Punk, but the web-page seems great, hope you can finish it soon~ Very Happy Very Happy
2dila
Thanks for sharing...
blackheart
I like your website, it's fairly accurate, succinct and to the point. Missing bits and pieces - but hey, there's a lot to cover.

How-ever, please put your prejudices aside and give emo a real definition Razz. (see my thread on emotive hardcore)
...Speaking of which, ska could do with a few rawer examples.
mattyj
Im gunna do a proper page just on Ska (Ska, Ska Revival and the 3rd Wave Revival) - so just put those 2 as examples for now...but i will include originators like Desmond Dekker, revivalists like Madness and The Specials + all the 3rd wave revivalists like RBF, Less Than Jake, Bosstones, Mad Caddies, etc etc...
David_Pardy
That Frenzal Rhomb song which you have called "Get F'ed you Fing Fwit" is actually called You Can't Move Into My House.

I live in the Frenzal Rhomb fan capital of the world, by the way :p
mattyj
Cheers will change that, i have that CD but i didnt bother looking at it for the proper title Wink
snowboardalliance
Not bad.

I don't listen to a lot of punk, but I think you should talk about some of the political punk like Anti-Flag and maybe The Unseen.
blackheart
snowboardalliance wrote:
Not bad.

I don't listen to a lot of punk, but I think you should talk about some of the political punk like Anti-Flag and maybe The Unseen.

I think he's focusing on the key and influential bands of the genre Wink.
mattyj
blackheart wrote:
snowboardalliance wrote:
Not bad.

I think he's focusing on the key and influential bands of the genre Wink.

BINGO! Hes got it...That and my favourite bands of the genre