FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The DS Web Browser - US Version

mistuh griddlez
It's awesome!
For only 30 bucks, it's a good buy. I love it and I am posting this message with it.
Oh and by the way it doesn't have flash Sad

Feel free to ask any questions about it.

Very Happy
brokenadvice
No flash makes me a sad panda Sad
mistuh griddlez
yeah i know...I was anticipating it so much....

Sad ah well...oh and btw you can't send messages from xbox.com with it (problem with the coding on the site...) now that really sucks.
Tartaglia
Is it really slow like some of the first movies for it showed it to be?
Man, why can't nintendo get a browser right?! Come on, the cartridge has enough space to put good browsing software on it.
Ghengis
Yeah, but the underpowered 66MHz ARM processor doesn't have the grunt to run Flash. It could technically render a subset of the PDF functionality, but I think that's less hurtful. Flash just wasn't meant to be run on a processor that might be slower than the one on your cell phone. I just bought a DS, and I love it, but it's not exactly a screaming number-crunching champ. The PSP browser has Flash because its CPU runs at 300 MHz (266 underclocked).
driftingfe3s
Yeah exactly. The DS wasn't really made with any power at all. I'm not hating on the DS, I love my DS but I really don't think its made to do that kind of stuff. I was thinking of getting the broswer but I hear its kinda slow to browse with and I figure that since I have a laptop, I could surf the net were ever I could with my DS.
m-productions
without flash I think it kinda kills the point.. but with if you have a flash card for it? Im thinking of getting one cause im about to mod my DS. However... I dont have wireless internet right now.. so the web browser wont do me much good.
jonnyr
How much memory is in the Flash Cart?
driftingfe3s
jonnyr wrote:

The whole package including the flash cart and the browser is around $30 I think.
ShawnKelfonne
I think the point of the DS browser was to allow people to check e-mail and read news, not to play flash games or do anything utterly fancy. If you need to do that, that's what you've got a computer for. =P
m-productions
driftingfe3s wrote:
jonnyr wrote:

The whole package including the flash cart and the browser is around $30 I think.

wow, will they really sell a flash cart? if its the kind that fits in the GBA slot..then they are VERY stupid, all you need is a flash cart, and BAM, you can have a moded DS just like that.
aznhomieboi1689
Is it bad graphics? I dunno if I'll get it.
m-productions
aznhomieboi1689 wrote:

is what "bad graphics" the web breowser dosnt have graphics.........

now if your talking about the DS, then it has N64 graphics, which is just fine, tho must of the games are sprite based mixed with some 3d (which i love)
mdsite
I seen some in shop am in UK its about £50 which is over priced a DS Lite cost about £100, so it like half the price of a DS.
headie
I went out to go get it at Gamestop today and had the manager tell me it's only for the DS Lite. After I told him there are two versions, he pretty much called me stupid. I asked him to show me a box, pointed out the text that says there's another version for the regular DS, and he just looked at me and said "Oh, well you learn something new everyday here." If it wasn't for my sister standing right next to me, I probably would've given him an earful. It's sad that girls are still thought of as stupid when it comes to games...

If it weren't for the fact that I own't be getting a laptop anytime soon, and my internet on my desktop is pretty slow most of the day, I wouldn't even get the stupid thing...
m-productions
headie wrote:
I went out to go get it at Gamestop today and had the manager tell me it's only for the DS Lite. After I told him there are two versions, he pretty much called me stupid. I asked him to show me a box, pointed out the text that says there's another version for the regular DS, and he just looked at me and said "Oh, well you learn something new everyday here." If it wasn't for my sister standing right next to me, I probably would've given him an earful. It's sad that girls are still thought of as stupid when it comes to games...

If it weren't for the fact that I own't be getting a laptop anytime soon, and my internet on my desktop is pretty slow most of the day, I wouldn't even get the stupid thing...

o.0 wow thats sad, To be honest tho, I really wouldn't have been suprized if it was only made for the lite.. the normal one is so lame. (I want a lite..that has a working L button) but if the browser really does come with added flash memory, even tho I dont have wireless im still going to get it myself so I can mod my DS for cheaper than the basic $90.00 ill wait till you get it =)-
headie
m-productions wrote:
headie wrote:

o.0 wow thats sad, To be honest tho, I really wouldn't have been suprized if it was only made for the lite.. the normal one is so lame. (I want a lite..that has a working L button) but if the browser really does come with added flash memory, even tho I dont have wireless im still going to get it myself so I can mod my DS for cheaper than the basic $90.00 ill wait till you get it =)-

Gee, thanks. I think if I get a lite, I'm either gonna mod my DS or sell it. I dunno yet.
blk3
Web browsing without graphics. that seems kind of lame. The best web sites are the right combination of both text and graphics. Btw how much does the connection cost, is it free on any wifi zone?
m-productions
blk3 wrote:
Web browsing without graphics. that seems kind of lame. The best web sites are the right combination of both text and graphics. Btw how much does the connection cost, is it free on any wifi zone?

what are you talking about? there will be pictures.....

Headie wrote:
Gee, thanks. I think if I get a lite, I'm either gonna mod my DS or sell it. I dunno yet.

why not mod your ds lite then? unlike the psp, its has a 0% chance of bricking, its all done with the flash card, i could take the one from chris's ds and put in your DS and right away you have moded ds..
headie
blk3 wrote:

It's got graphics, just not flash. And yes, it's free in any wifi zone that offers free internet. You couldn't use it at a hotel that charges for internet use.

And I'll see. I might take you up on that offer... Depends on how cheap I can get a Lite Smile
blk3
[quote="m-productions"]
aznhomieboi1689 wrote:

is what "bad graphics" the web breowser dosnt have graphics.........

Its because of this statement that I thought the web browser doesn't have graphics. But since you corrected me that it does have graphics and its free on wifi free zones then i guess its not bad for around 30 bucks. Im just wondering if it can handle downloads (will the download save on the card)
m-productions
I see what your saying now, when the person asked "if it had bad graphics" I thought the person was referring to the web browser as if it had some kind of "game graphics" cause the quality of graphics wouldn't change in any type of browser..

as for if it can save downloads to the card, I very much want to know this as well, (hopefully headie will get it soon >>) because if it can hold files, this could be a very very good buy... but thats only if it can hold 1gb at least (which for $30 .. it will probably hold like 32mb- 512mb if anything)
headie
I have no idea if you can download stuff. And I won't know until I order it online and have it delivered, since the version for the regular DS is online only... Stupid... However, I did see this on the website ---

clicky

That said this...--

"The Nintendo DS Browser comes with the browser game card and a Memory Expansion Pak. "

So it apparently has some memory. How much I have no clue.

[edit] better now?
m-productions
Hey.. you want want to change that link some..cuase.. it just killed this page >> put it in something like this code

Code:

[url=www.thatsiteyoujustsaid.com]The text people will see[/url]

o.0

anyway, thanks to that link, I found more information on it.
it turns out, that does not add "file space" but it instead adds memory, aka RAM, ... Do you remember the n64 with its expansion pack it needed to play some games. like zelda? well thats what this does, it makes the DS's ram from 4 mb to 10 mb

http://www.answers.com/topic/nintendo-ds-memory-expansion-pak
headie
m-productions wrote:
Hey.. you want want to change that link some..cuase.. it just killed this page >> put it in something like this code

Code:

[url=www.thatsiteyoujustsaid.com]The text people will see[/url]

o.0

anyway, thanks to that link, I found more information on it.
it turns out, that does not add "file space" but it instead adds memory, aka RAM, ... Do you remember the n64 with its expansion pack it needed to play some games. like zelda? well thats what this does, it makes the DS's ram from 4 mb to 10 mb

http://www.answers.com/topic/nintendo-ds-memory-expansion-pak

*Stares blankly at you* Ya, sure, I'll take your word on it...
m-productions
You dont gata take my word on it... read the link i posted.. it says it right there, just like it did lol.. sooo it looks like saving might not be an option.
enygmasoft
The problems certainly add insult to injury in that the DS is low HP dedicated to running them. The CPU can only do so much.
Ghengis
I just got a Nokia 770 internet tablet -- it's not a phone, it's not a PDA, it's not a Game Boy-alike. It's just for web browsing, and it does a damn fine job of it. The processor is fast enough (still not too fast, but somehow web pages seem to load great), and the screen has a really, really high resolution: 800x480. It's a pretty good solution, and I think maybe it's better to have two specialized devices (both my DS and my 770 reside on my nightstand) than one that is jack of all trades, master of none.