FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do I need 2 domain names?

Handyman
I am thinking of reselling web space and mos tof the companies that host resellers provide a way to set up custom a dns. If I want to use a .com for my main site. Would I need another domain for the dns like a .net or can I use the .com for both?

I noticed that frihost has a .com and .net but the .net is used for the name server and it also redirects to the .com when typed into the browser.
RiCtee
You can use just one. Don't know why but FriHost uses the .com for it's main FriHost website, including the forum, and uses the .net for our awesome hosting.
gh0stface
Handyman wrote:
I am thinking of reselling web space and mos tof the companies that host resellers provide a way to set up custom a dns. If I want to use a .com for my main site. Would I need another domain for the dns like a .net or can I use the .com for both?

I noticed that frihost has a .com and .net but the .net is used for the name server and it also redirects to the .com when typed into the browser.

What a lot of companies tend to do is buy the big 3. The .com, .net, along with the .org.

They'll either choose to setup hosting with the domain that they want to be known. For example, we'll say that I registered FriHostRocks.com, FriHostRocks.net, FriHostRocks.org

I would setup FriHostRocks.com as my main domain and then have FriHostRocks.net and FriHostRocks.org domain forwarded to FriHostRocks.com
Handyman
Thanks gh0stface and RiCtee that is what I needed to know.
Diablosblizz
Quote:
You can use just one. Don't know why but FriHost uses the .com for it's main FriHost website, including the forum, and uses the .net for our awesome hosting.

Yah why does Frihost do that. I guess its to reduce confusion.
shkumbin
Diablosblizz wrote:
Quote:

Yah why does Frihost do that. I guess its to reduce confusion.

Probably to balance the load between many servers in contrary to one-server based platforms where one hosting server has up to 6-8 processes running on a single server.