FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Pics from a novice (warning: 4mb of pics) Advice welcome.

ocalhoun
These are pictures from two separate trips I made recently. I've decided to get involved in photography as a hobby, so any advice on how to take better photos would be welcome. All of these images are scaled down from 7.2 mega pixels. If you want a full-res picture (for a desktop background, for example), ask me.
To make it easier to mention one later, I'll put a number by each one; you can refer to it by that number.

The first trip:

A nice fishing/relaxing spot on the lake. Too bad there wasn't a sunset when I was taking pictures.
An orange grove viewed from across a lake.
Some unripened oranges. Commonplace for me, but exotic for you, perhaps?
A deserted road. I've heard that this one would be better if there was a car or a person on the road.
A picture of a classic spotty clouded sky. It didn't capture what I hoped it would, but it turned out decently anyway.
A staghorn fern. Why not?

The second trip:

Capturing the pattern of the leaves in the bog.
A passion flower. Nothing subtle about this one.
Using some tall grass in a pond to create a nice pattern.
An undeveloped, pristine small lake. Unfortunately, this land is being cleared for a new development soon.
A nice classic Florida scene.
The part I like about this one is the small piece of rust on the other side of the barrel. For some reason it was captured perfectly.
Is this symbolic of anything to you? I just wish the flower hadn't been whited out.
Grasses growing out of the water.
Little waves on a lake. Would make a good background.
A close-up of a very rotten log.

I think I'm going to specialize in filling the whole picture with patterns found in nature. Tell me what you think.
ThornsOfSorrow
Those are quite good for someone who is just starting to get serious about photography. Although I'm no photographer, I can tell you that there's something special about 3, 8, and 10. 3 and 8 are nice because you can see a lot of detail in the subject matter. They're more interesting to look at than pictures like 9, 14, and 15 (the patterned pictures). Although those are nice as well, they don't capture my attention as much, because there's less to look at. The log picture (16) shows pattern as well, but in a better way, because there's much more variety on the log's surface. Now, since I mentioned 10 before: That one is my favorite because of the way you've captured so much in a simple landscape. The angle is really good, with just a few broken trees in the foreground and a lot of mangled brush directly across the lake, with a nice water reflection as well. The dirt on the right of the foreground, as well as the little protrusion of dirt on the left also adds a nice touch. I know you didn't "create" the landscape, but you did a good job figuring out where to stand when photographing it. Also, it's nice that you photographed an area like this, rather than only taking a lot of sunset pictures (as a lot of people do). There's nothing wrong with those, but sometimes it's nice to look for beauty in an area that most people wouldn't find to be particularly nice looking. In all of your pictures, it looks as if you're trying to be creative, and I think that will make you a really good photographer.
Ghost900
The green oranges is a nice photo. (I live in MN so I have never seen them).

I like your second trip photos more so I am guessing you got alot of experience from the first trip Smile

The Passion flower is cool looking.

The leaf filled ponds look nice also.

And the up close rotten log looks kinda like a cliff at first glance. (To me anyway)

Good Job on all the pictures. Cool
Helios
Cool pictures Smile
I really like the flower.

BTW, can you please post them as links (i.e without img tags) ?
ocalhoun
Helios wrote:

Well, I could, but would people look at them all if I did? They would probably click a few and then post a response or go to a different thread. (That's what I would do.) It is annoying how the page width is screwed up, though...
Ghost900
ocalhoun wrote:
Helios wrote:

Well, I could, but would people look at them all if I did? They would probably click a few and then post a response or go to a different thread. (That's what I would do.) It is annoying how the page width is screwed up, though...

I definitely wouldn't click every one of those 100 pictures.

I like it with the image tags even if it takes awhile to load.
Gagnar The Unruly
I agree, as long as you're own post you're putting big images on, it's fine with me. My attention span is too short to go link-clicking also.

Ocalhoun, you seem to be very intersted in patterns. Most people focus more on foreground objects and composition, whereas almost all of your photos are pattern-focused. Even some of the photos of a main, central element have a sense of pattern and symmetry. I think it's interesting.
ocalhoun
^Thats encouraging. You were able to pick up that I was focusing on finding patterns in the world around me, so I must have succeeded in doing so.
legion
Hey, good photos !!!

Have you considered using a image hosting site for them, like Webshots or Flickr? It would be cool to comment there for each photo Cool

I like the 3d and 4th photos ... especially the third one ... next time try to focus on the oranges, i think it will look better with blur around them Smile

Oh yes and the 15th, with those waves. Beautiful!

Keep them coming Wink
ocalhoun
legion wrote:
Hey, good photos !!!

Have you considered using a image hosting site for them, like Webshots or Flickr? It would be cool to comment there for each photo Cool

I like the 3d and 4th photos ... especially the third one ... next time try to focus on the oranges, i think it will look better with blur around them Smile

Keep them coming Cool

Do people really comment on them there? Or do they just have the ability to comment, but it rarely happens?
Blurs can be arranged afterwards...
*GIMP time!*

It would look more real if I took the time to select the area in more detail, and if I selected multiple layers, giving the ability to blur in several degrees for different distances, but you get the point.
legion
ocalhoun wrote:

Do people really comment on them there? Or do they just have the ability to comment, but it rarely happens?

They do that. But i'm not lucky enough Razz

The photo looks better now ... maybe less blur but that's easy to change Wink

Great shot. I think it looks like a pro one. You should sell it Laughing
Gagnar The Unruly
If you have a nice enough camera, you might want to try playing around with a telephoto lens. I think picture 12 would benefit from a telephoto (keeping it all in focus and flattening the background and foreground together). For some other pictures, such as the one with the orange, I would recommend finding ways to make the background less important. You could take the picture from a different angle, so that there is more distant foliage that might not come into focus as much, or you could take it close and focus right in on the oranges, leaving the background out of focus. The oranges also might look interesting taken through a telephoto.

Since your focus is on patterns, a good idea is to either play up the pattern, or to break it down in some way. Using a telephoto would 'play up' the patterned elements by flattening the image and relating them all more strongly to one another. This could also give some things more visual interest (such as the sticks poking out of the water) as it could give them a bit more visual weight.

(none of the following photos are my own)

Telephoto can make ordinary things very interesting:

Other ways of adding visual interest to patterned compositions might involve using focus to recede parts of the photograph into the background:

Or you could break the pattern with a well-placed contrasting object:

Also, it's generally more compositonally interesting if the focus is off-center (not necessarily in the upper-left, however):

Food for thought Smile
legion
Gagnar The Unruly wrote:
If you have a nice enough camera, you might want to try playing around with a telephoto lens....

Wow, great lesson. I should try it. Thank you, Gagnar Very Happy
irishmark
Get them into photoshop and play with the colour curves! - You will like the results.
bulek
Those pictures are really wonderful. Which digital camera did you use? Is it a DSLR? I have Canon PowerShot G6 and it nearly can't make so nice, sharp and crisp pictures.
ocalhoun
No fancy SLR...
I use an olympus 720SW.
The main good thing about it is that it is indestructible.
(The S stands for shock-proof, and the W stands for waterproof)
Sipe
Wow, nice photos! Smile
xixilee
my dreaming life! i love it!
Tumbleweed
I love photography myself ( allthough I dont get enough time to get out and about doing it as I would like to ),
Ocalhoun wrote:
Is this symbolic of anything to you? I just wish the flower hadn't been whited out.

If you learn to bracket your shots (if your camera has the function to) it will help to cut this out, especially if your cam tends to "white out" things from time to time ,but you will use more memory card space, as a rule of thumb its better to under expose than over expose because its easier to edit something thats there but dark than whited out and not there.

I find interesting reading at photoinf.com ,theres probably something there that matches your (and all the rest of us budding photographers) needs.