FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Wooh. Vistas a pain

jane11
so yeah.. hi and all that.

i'm pretty diverse with most computer problems, but this one is annoying me. i recently brought a new pc (250 from pc world.. my old pc was built by someone who didn't know what they were doing, and it had given me grief for years) with vista. oh the glorys of vista.

most of my old programs won't work. my games won't run, even in 'compatibility mode' and now i'm having trouble with my CD burner. i've tried Ahead Nero: compatibility issues, Roxio; compatibility issues, and screwed up the pc so bad that it had to do a system restore. for some reason, WMP won't burn a disk that will play in my car stereo. it may be my stereo, but on closer inspection of the disk i did burn, it seems it just has a WMP playlist on it.. not much use i don't think.

so, i've looked for updates for Nero. the only thing they could come up with was paying $80 for the new version. no thanks!

can someone please just give me a solution so i can listen to my music in peace? i would rather it be an MP3 disk too.

i did think of installing xp on a partition, but i think it's going to get annoying everytime i want to burn a cd that i have to load up a whole new operating system just for that.

thanks.
LukeakaDanish
A 250 quid pc wont run vista...thats as simple as it gets
xbcd
man you should have gotten xp pro and not jumped on the new os bandwaggon. Its a bad place to start especially with a underpowered machine like yours.
LukeakaDanish
I'm running vista om my laptop (high spec, 7k), everything works perfect and seen as dx10 is obviously the future for gaming, i think i made the right choice...

That having been said, I love my XP machine loads aswel...

Vista needs 2gb ram and a good processor (meaning celleron is a big nono)...without it nothing works (my pc came with roxio and it worked...although the first thing i did was to uninstall it)
JBotAlan
I am not going to get Vista. Ever.

The day I am forced to do so will be the day I become Linux purist. I will not move up to an over-inflated, over-priced and over-rated OS. Why break compatibility with everything I've been doing? That would be dumb.

Then again, that's probably what most people said/thought about Win95... Laughing or even 3.1. Or DOS for that matter...
Nyizsa
JBotAlan wrote:

The day I am forced to do so will be the day I become Linux purist. I will not move up to an over-inflated, over-priced and over-rated OS. Why break compatibility with everything I've been doing? That would be dumb.

Then again, that's probably what most people said/thought about Win95... Laughing or even 3.1. Or DOS for that matter...

I don't think so. Win95 was able to run DOS programs. (I still don't understand why the command line had to be removed, though.)
As of now, it seems that Linux has better compatibility with Windows software than Vista has. Confused
LukeakaDanish
JBotAlan wrote:

Over-inflated? Not sure what you mean...if you mean its slow...that wont matter once you get a decent pc that runs it perfectly anyway...

Over-priced? I just bought a pc from dell, and the price for vista and xp where the same...go check it out on their page for yourself if you dont believe me....

Over-rated: Who's overrating it? we all know its more like windows xp SP 3 rather than a new system...but the new interface looks nice...and hey...why go for something old and outdated like xp when you can get something new and smooth AND directX 10, which does help game makers make new graphics stuff

Compatabiliy? I've been using it for a couple of weeks and appart from 1 minor problem with something i didnt need, everything has worked perfectly...

I'm not amassive vista fan, but saying your not gonna get it ever seems kinda counter-logical...
quotebook
Quote:
Over-priced? I just bought a pc from dell, and the price for vista and xp where the same...go check it out on their page for yourself if you dont believe me....

Vista what? Vista Basic is the same price as XP Home, but XP Home wasn't as crippled as Vista Basic:
http://news.com.com/Is+Windows+getting+more+expensive/2100-1016_3-6162370.html

Quote:
Over-rated: Who's overrating it? we all know its more like windows xp SP 3 rather than a new system...but the new interface looks nice...and hey...why go for something old and outdated like xp when you can get something new and smooth AND directX 10, which does help game makers make new graphics stuff

Uhh, Microsoft? The WOW starts now? MS is a hype machine...

Quote:
Compatabiliy? I've been using it for a couple of weeks and appart from 1 minor problem with something i didnt need, everything has worked perfectly...

Sounds like you got lucky, I had problems with several things in the little that I've used Vista - like Cisco certification not recognizing my antivirus, for instance[/quote]
LukeakaDanish
quotebook wrote:
Quote:

Vista what? Vista Basic is the same price as XP Home, but XP Home wasn't as crippled as Vista Basic:
http://news.com.com/Is+Windows+getting+more+expensive/2100-1016_3-6162370.html

Vista Home Premium (ok there was a slight upgrade price from basic to home premium, but srsly 20 isn't gonna kill you
Quote:

Quote:

Uhh, Microsoft? The WOW starts now? MS is a hype machine...

If you only ever listen to advertisement and reviews by the producer of things, then you are a fool.
Quote:

Quote:

Sounds like you got lucky, I had problems with several things in the little that I've used Vista - like Cisco certification not recognizing my antivirus, for instance
[/quote]
My friend has had the same problem with his XP pc...
Bones
You can get Vista Ultimate for $238.99 CAD right now, and Xp Pro for $179.99. Considering Vista Ultimate is 5 years newer and has more features than XP Pro, I don't think that $60 more is much to ask. Home Premium is $142.99 and has a lot more features than XP Home had/has.

Considering that WoW geeks pay more than that to play WoW for a year, I don't see how you can complain really.

As for burning software, I use Ashampoo Burning Studio 6 and have no problems. Also most games have updates for Vista compatibility.

I still use XP mostly (dual booted with Vista Ultimate), simply because I want more power for my games, but with my new pc, it will be Vista only.
Microsoft was smart, they designed this for tomorrow's computer in mind. Two years from now, who is going to care that it didnt run on your circa 2002 pc.

The wow starts now hahahaha yea that was a funny one actually
Ghost900
I just bought a computer with Vista Premium and it works great.

The rig is 4.0 Ghz Pro. 1 GB Ram, 256 MB Video and Vista runs ok.

The thing I hate about Vista is defraging doesn't show you how much is fragmented in the begging and it won't tell you what % it is complete.

I installed alot of my games and they all work fine.

The list of games that work on Vista is pretty big now, and DX10 is going to be nice.

Xp was a very good OS but Vista isn't as bad as people make it to be.

A note: VISTA is a Ram and Possessor hog though. Sad
orcaz
No point upgrading to Vista unless u r really willing to pay for the hardware req. A lot of programs (like ad aware 2007) still don't support Vista or haf compatibility problems wif it. since xp is still being supported by M$, there is no urge to upgrade yet.
Ghost900
orcaz wrote:
No point upgrading to Vista unless u r really willing to pay for the hardware req. A lot of programs (like ad aware 2007) still don't support Vista or haf compatibility problems wif it. since xp is still being supported by M$, there is no urge to upgrade yet.

I agree with this and the only reason I have Vista is because it came with my new computer.

I would never spend money to just buy an OS because I will just use the one I got on the comp.

XP is bug-free and everything works on it so as long as you have it on your comp I would stick with it unless you need DX10. Very Happy
greatfire
LukeakaDanish wrote:

this just means dell charges too much for windows xp
qsmith
Its pretty. Its full of new features. And its slowness gives you time to contemplate life, the universe, and everything. But best of all, Its NOT installed on MY PC....
Very Happy